Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool Garden Festival Site

You havn't changed Scouserdave. Just that your hair is longer in those days.

scouserdave

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    You havn't changed Scouserdave. Just that your hair is longer in those days.
    Thanks Lindy. Your a star luv!
    I'll upload some more in a few minutes. Just wish I concentrated more on taking pics of the buildings, but you don't think about things like that at the time.

scouserdave

Last lot folks. Hope you found them of interest. I know I did, as I only found the photos by accident!
    BTW, at the time, my mate Tai, in the right of the first pic was Head Waiter of the Jade Garden restaurant, Wardour St. Him and his family have now had their own Chinese restaurant in Munich for the last 20 years. Top man

scouserdave

Have to say a big thanks to Lindylou. Her Rock Against Racism pics prompted me to go searching for mine. Still haven't found them, but it prompted me to dig up all sorts of pics including the Garden Festival ones

This forum has been great for jogging memories.

The George Roberts thread (Famous Scousers) has jogged my memory about a group mentioned called The Harlems. I'd completely forgotten about them.

There must be lots of Garden Festival pics in peoples' photo albums.
    As you say, we should have taken more notice of the buildings.
    You just don't think at the time.

Probably people are a bit more aware of what to photograph now we have more sophisticated camera equipment. I know I am taking a lot more pics of more interesting subjects than I used to.
    I've started taking my camera out with me just incase I see something good.

Default Liverpool's Garden Festival Site

Bulldozers move in on Garden Festival DomeNov 22 2006

By Larry Neild, Liverpool Daily Post

DEMOLITION will start of the landmark dome at the Liverpool International Garden Festival site today to pave the way for a £250m transformation.

Local companies Langtree and McLean will this morning deposit ambitious plans for the derelict site that will see more than 1,300 new homes built around the cleared dome area, as well as the restoration of the original gardens created for the festival in 1984.

The vandalised dome will be scrapped after hopes of relocating it were dashed on cost grounds.

One of the biggest hurdles to the redevelopment, management of the 56-acre parkland, was resolved just 24 hours ago after months of intensive behind-the-scenes discussions.

It has seen the Land Restoration Trust appointed to manage and cultivate the site’s stunning attractions, which include the original Chinese and Japanese gardens. The gardens will be fully restored and made accessible to the public.

The cleared dome site will form the centrepiece of a residential scheme that will see the building of more than 1,300 homes.

The plan is for 936 two-bed apartments, 372 one-bed apartments and 66 townhouses. Many will be homes with balconies overlooking Otterspool Promenade and the river estuary.

Langtree and McLean have been involved in protracted talks with city planners about the scheme, which will see the creation of the city’s first major parkland for 25 years.

If the planning committee approves the new plans next spring, the companies plan an almost immediate start on the development.

Improvements to local traffic islands are included to make access easier, and Priory Woods, linking Otterspool with St Michael's in the Hamlet will be improved, with the installation of CCTV to make it safer.

Last night, Langtree chairman John Downes said the aim was to have the new park and restored gardens element completed in time for Liverpool’s Capital of Culture Year in 2008.

Mr Downes said: “We are eager to get started and deliver what will be a stunning redevelopment and regeneration project for Liverpool.

“Until all the pieces were in place we did not want to submit our planning application. Having worked on the development alongside the planners we are hopeful that the process will not be prolonged. If approval is given, as we hope, next spring, we are eager to immediately start work.

“The dome, sadly, cannot form part of our plans. It is in a poor state and is incapable of being moved elsewhere.”

The project was welcomed last night by city council leader Cllr Warren Bradley.

He said: “The former International Garden Festival site is one of the most important gateway routes into the city and demands a development of the highest quality.

“Clearly this scheme will be subject to the normal planning procedure, but it is very encouraging that progress is being made with this site.”

As well as apartments, in blocks up to eight storeys high and family houses, the scheme includes a number of retail and community units.

The Langtree McLean partnership acquired the site in ay 2005 and since then have been working on a master plan for the area. Until now the complexities of the site have thwarted the scheme.

The new park will be funded through the residential development around the dome area, using a dowry for the long term management of the gardens.

A public exhibition about the development is to take place at the Atrium at the entrance of the Liverpool Daily Post & Echo Building in Old Hall Street from Monday until Friday next week. Details will be available at www.festivalgardens.co.uk
    Last edited by Kev; 11-22-2006 at 10:48 AM.

Blog Entries

Excellent news
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Nooooo! I wanted to get back there for some more photos!

Oh well, it is dangerous and derelict, and that whole area needs redeveloping... sniff...

snappel I am sure you wont let us down, by not accepting the challange, dangerous and derelict as the area may be, bring on the photographs, thanks.

Oh, I've been before! To be fair it's in a poor state now... It's just we were playing hide and seek with the security guard and I only got a few snaps. Nice that they're restoring the gardens though...

Blog Entries

....ready for 2008 too . Give it a week and there will be nothing left of the dome, it'll look weird.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

So the Jap part will be restored?
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    So the Jap part will be restored?
    The gardens? yes
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

The appartments they're going to build are more cheap and nasty stuff why can't they build something for the people of Liverpool there?

MissInformed

I completely agree Paul!
    I am sick of new apartments and 'town houses'...more money for property developers!
    That place has been in disuse so long, but all the key features are there if they wanted to do something....
    makes me quite sick!

rant over!

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast