Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool Garden Festival Site

Great pic's Em'! Looking so much better than just a few months ago!

Blog Entries

One of our oldest threads o Yo! since 2005, pics start here: http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...val-Site/page2
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Yep its a great thread Kev

I found a nice way to browse a subject, like the garden festival, on Yo is to use some of Googles advanced search tools.

Go to Google and search for

site:yoliverpool.com garden festival

Then on the left of the page click on "show search tools" and then on "sites with images"

You get a nice display of photos and threads.

Mike

I'm soooo excited now.... we have almost got the gardens back....

More pics on the website for April

http://www.festivalgardens.com/the-g...os/april-2011/

Pity the pillars have been demolished (at the entrance by the roundabout) I hear the current gate is temporary and it will be replaced by extending the fence across the road, when the work is finished.

http://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news...-restored.html

Some nice piccies in the link too

Langtree has completed the first phase of its proposals to regenerate a derelict 90-acre site in Liverpool, prior to its opening to the public late in July. (GALLERY)

The owner and developer of the site in Otterspool, where the International Garden Festival took place in 1984, has created and installed four new bridges, 2km of newly created pathways, 5.25m litres of water for 10 lakes, 5,000 decorative pagoda roof tiles sourced from China and the planting of more than five million wild flower seeds.

The £3.7m restoration was funded by North West Development Agency after an extended planning and consultation process. The ongoing long term management of the site will be delivered by the Land Trust working in association with Groundwork Merseyside.

At last. An opening date!

During Love Parks Week on Saturday 23 July, the gardens – which were abandoned over 25 years ago – will once again open to a delighted public, bringing the story full circle.
    http://www.festivalgardens.com/the-n...-winding-road/

Some of those taking an illicit preview have been somewhat disappointed. The revamped area is even smaller than we had understood would be the case, with much of the original design just having been abandoned, with old amusement features, waterways and bridges still in situ, in a state of disrepair. There's also been a problem with both the quantity and quality of the water supply to the refurbished lake system. I gather this may be partly down to the fact that they haven't bothered to replace the liner, which of course is now nearly 30 years old! Sounds like they've tried to do it on the cheap! Pictures to follow...

Quote Originally Posted by John Doh View Post
    Some of those taking an illicit preview have been somewhat disappointed. The revamped area is even smaller than we had understood would be the case, with much of the original design just having been abandoned, with old amusement features, waterways and bridges still in situ, in a state of disrepair. There's also been a problem with both the quantity and quality of the water supply to the refurbished lake system. I gather this may be partly down to the fact that they haven't bothered to replace the liner, which of course is now nearly 30 years old! Sounds like they've tried to do it on the cheap! Pictures to follow...
    Really? the pictures I've seen on other sites would contradict that? hmmm... will have to wait and see for myslef I guess

I was really hoping it would be the great success that all the publicity has been trumpeting, but progress has been quite slow recently, with the opening date being moved back twice now so that some of the summer plantings are a bit past their best. The water quality problem was only quite recently discovered after they got the pumps going, and the security is as poor as it's ever been with holes in the perimeter fence in several places. So much for closing it at dusk!

These are some of the less attractive views, taken just a couple of weeks ago, that will not be found on the developer's website

The Red Dragon Slide, now a pale shadow of its former self, towed away outside the enclosed Gardens site, apparently destined to be be scrapped

The remains of one of the old attractive wooden bridges in the part of the Gardens that is to be abandoned

One of the lakes showing algal growth that is causing concern

The new bridges, of concrete and metal, may prove to be longer lasting... but are hardly lovely

The original huge natural rock features have been largely replaced by walls of identikit regular boulders encased in a wire netting cladding... Health and Safety issues, no doubt...

I wouldnt worry about the algae. That tends to happen when a lake is refilled. It happened at Sefton Park too. The whole lake was covered for months. It soon goes and is never seen again.

Not too sure about that dragon head though. Didn't see that when I visited the site.

Default statue of john lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Scousemouse View Post
    You can watch a film of the Garden Festival as it was, HERE
    Many thanks for the film saw my brothers statue _((Allen Curran) x lark lane ,of JOHN LENNON he met Liz and Phil ,but has now passed away WELL DONE AL ,God Bless ,ghandi

I thought the dragon slide was going to be re-used, shame the kids would've loved it, looking at the pics we are not meant to see, remember in a couple of years the rest of the land is expected to have houses et on them, so from that point of view, until they are built the site won't be finished. Looking back over recent posts I am disappointed to see some doubts or grumbles about what work has been done. Lets face it whatever was done there is an improvement on what we had, lets enjoy it, not moan about it.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerTheCat View Post
    It looks like the previously announced date on fesitivalgardens.com was a mistake.

Quote from Langtree...

That date has been incorrectly added and is now removed. At present, we still don't have an opening date.
    Grrr.

Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 LastLast