Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Street Views - Speke

Quote Originally Posted by Ross08 View Post
    When I saw that the Mill House had been called the Flying Saucer, I thought it had been a nickname. Was this the actual name?
    Yes it was original "The Flying Saucer". The roughest of em all!

Default The Flying Saucer

Was the Flying Saucer one of the first pubs to be built in Speke? I remember before I started school going for the weekly shopping with my Mum," Pegrams", I think the grocers was called, at the bottom of Alderwood Ave. The groceries were delivered by a lad on a bike.(approx 1958)
    My parents went a couple of times to The Flying Saucer, that was until the new shops arrived and the Noah's Ark(Approx 1960)

Am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by beanie View Post
    Was the Flying Saucer one of the first pubs to be built in Speke? I remember before I started school going for the weekly shopping with my Mum," Pegrams", I think the grocers was called, at the bottom of Alderwood Ave. The groceries were delivered by a lad on a bike.(approx 1958)
    My parents went a couple of times to The Flying Saucer, that was until the new shops arrived and the Noah's Ark(Approx 1960)

Am I right?
    I think The Fox would have been the first! it was there in 1957. thats the pub near Speke Church.

The Flying Saucer is in the newer part of Speke as the building of the estate was interupted during the war. I would think 1950s.

Does anyone know where the Speke Drama group was in the old village area, the one that Leonard Rossiter attended?

Blog Entries

Just refreshed my memory by looking up Alderwood Avenue on Multimap. I notice that adjacent to it there's a place called All Hallows Drive. Is that where the school was?

I was there for just one year: 1966-67, having transferred from Blessed John Almond when I was 15.

Can somebody identify this one? Looks as though it's been a pub but maybe in later life a restaurant? I could be completely wrong... that's just how it looks...

My Merseyside StreetView photos on flickr

Isn't that the Noahs Ark?
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross08 View Post
    Can somebody identify this one? Looks as though it's been a pub but maybe in later life a restaurant? I could be completely wrong... that's just how it looks...

Its the Noahs Ark pub at the top of Central Way. Didnt know it was boarded up though. The taxi Office was next door.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    Just refreshed my memory by looking up Alderwood Avenue on Multimap. I notice that adjacent to it there's a place called All Hallows Drive. Is that where the school was?

I was there for just one year: 1966-67, having transferred from Blessed John Almond when I was 15.
    All Hallows and Alderwood County Primary school faced each other on Alderwood avenue at the junction of Little Heath Road. All Hallows Drive is a new one on me but I know that there is new housing on the site where the schools used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by underworld View Post
    Its the Noahs Ark pub at the top of Central Way. Didnt know it was boarded up though. The taxi Office was next door.

Cheers, I thought it might have been that one going by some of the other posts.
    Looks like the taxi office might have moved or something as the taxis were sitting outside the closed down pub.
    My Merseyside StreetView photos on flickr

Unhappy All Hallows Drive

I wnet to All Hallows Girls School, left in 1971. I left Speke to move to Warrington in 1978. It was still All Hallows Girls School. Some time after that it became mixed and was called "Pope John Paul". Around early 1990's I visited the School with my Children, Miss Short was Head Mistress due to retire. I was quite shocked it had been demolished, even more shocked to find St Christophers had gone too. Luckily I had called in to the Church (Dean Montgomery had recently passed away)to show my husband and children. It was only then I had realised how beautiful the Church was.
    My Biggest shock was when we went up north around 2003, Speke had changed so much, My School had become a housing estate, The area behind the flats where I lived had shrunk to a narrow road. The squares where I had skipped and played games had become peoples back yards. The waste ground that was once home to O'Conners & Barrs mobile shop(imobile really until they where forced out) again became peoples back gardens. Worst of all the entry that ran between George Harrisons house had gone. Ganworth Rd and the park was now waste land and a new school. That picture of the boarded up Pub is definetely the Noah's Ark. Is that how it is now? In 2003 it was Speke Labour Club. There was also a Petrol Station and oppisite the police station. On the other side was once a Woolworths and a Bank that went bust. Sad how things Change.
    Beanie.

Hi Beanie,
    know how you feel,I was shocked to see so much had changed!I used to go to All Hallows,leaving in 1970,and didn't know it had gone,in fact,I actually got lost,looking for it,as the familiar landmarks had gone,even the "Parade"!The road I lived in,Ramsfield rd,is now private flats,with railings across the end of the road!

Default Speke

Ramsfield Rd, did that lead on to Hale Rd?

Quote Originally Posted by beanie View Post
    Ramsfield Rd, did that lead on to Hale Rd?
    I think so,down past the "Orient",opposite "Fords".(I can't remember the road names,it's nearly 40 yrs ago!)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast