Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Wavertree - Edge Hill Areas

kat2

Hi, Steve, I would suppose the idea behind the construction companys arguments was to bring the area up to the 20th century ie, parking better lay out? We will have to wait and see of course but I was taken to beleive some of the propertys were for social housing. With regards to big houses, yes, I can understand a development company trying to maximise the ground space useage some new homes are smaller, but there also cheaper to run, large houses in that area in the past just became a poor model of social housing, (tenants letting off rooms), now with all the new regulations designed to protect tenants (decent homes standards) means that alot of un scrupulous landlords could be taken to court. (private landlords sub standard lets). The old large victorian model however nice was never cheap to run, cold damp and more often than not without proper heating or damp coursing. Riverside doesnt make a profit, I worked for the company for many years, the company by charter is not permitted to make a profit, if you go into its housing association sector, you will see the investor in people, and not for profit logos. This is because the government set capping limits on how much it could charge for rent, Riverside Group Limited was set up as the investor part of riverside so in other words riverside group do own shops ect but that is the group and not the association. The group can buy out other housing associations or can offer exchange deals, over the last few years I beleive this is what has been done, such as english churches (housing) each aquired some of the others property portfolio. With regards to the edge lane area anyway I would have thought most could not afford to even buy properties at eighty thousand pounds (if the price offered of £58-000 for their existing homes). There would be the matter of ensuring prospective buyers even at eighty could afford to pay back the eighty. Seems nice that lots of investors would invest and not wish to collect interest of their loans? I havent come across that before.
    I am sure too that the new layout will be to help design crime out, which was another request that was made when the origional concept was being talked about.
    cpos are nothing new, yes they are sad but in some ways it seems its the only way forwards, and £58-000 isnt to be turned down lightly especially at the time before all this large investment was being pumped into the city of Liverpool. Health wise people need to live in dry warm affordable homes.
    kat

I found that in youtube:
    "1907 shots of a giant pageant in Wavertree Park"
    Images r old, so r not good, but the sound is very clear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53pa03ldlBs

Blog Entries

excellent find Marie,I enjoyed watching that
    If you can't dazzle them with brilliance,baffle them with bull

http://www.bmycharity.com/laurenrobinson please give generously to childrens cancer charity Clic sergent

Brilliant thanks Marie.
    it's lovely to see the old trams near the end of the video. I love trams, I have a few pictures on my wall of them.

Lindy, try Waterstones for a new book called Streets of Liverpool which is primarily about the buses and trams of yesteryear with some great buildings shots and street scenes I hadn't seen before.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

i know this is a long shot but seeing that your talking about wavertree road can any one help me please
    my grandparents lived in cambridge street, by the pubs (the bridge,leigh arms, but what i want to know is further down on the main road there is a row of old shops i dont think they have been in use for many many years can some one tell me if one of them was ever a fruit and veg shop? possibly owned by the yates family.
    i would be really grateful if any one can help or have got any old photos of cambridge street
    debbie

Blog Entries

March 2007

October 2007 (Today)

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Cadfael

Always sad to see any church go. And for what? Houses probably. Tunnel road is a really nice 'empty' road with nothing on either side. I know, let's bung a few houses up there.

There's a church in Ashfield, Wavertree - I don't know the name of it but it's being demolished right now. It was a large church - do you know it Cadfael?

People have been going along there to salvage bits and pieces for momentos of the church.

Cadfael

It could be St Thomas' which is a real shame seeing as that was the second church from the original St Thomas' that Joseph Williamson is buried at.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN...StThomas.shtml

Thanks for the pix of the church Kev. I was wondering when that would go. I know part of the scheme is controversial,however I think it will put some life back into the area-it's just too quiet. Perhaps once the new houses are up,the Spekeland will re-open. Incidentally,there's a planning application to restore some of the old goods offices on the opposite side in the works-as site offices for the go-kart arena being made out of the old railway sheds next to the station. [unrelated to the other scheme to make an arts centre out of disused buildings on the station itself]

Dave.

Default Wavertree Road

The first 4 Streets going down the hill from Wavertree Road/Marmaduke Street junction. I'd be interested to know what the William Hill building was, as it has a certain look that doesn't fit in with the rest of the street (reminds me of Woolworths). These were taken mid-2007.

Marmaduke to Martensen

Martensen to Cicely

Cicely to Winifred

Winifred to Janet

If I'm not mistaken...The William Hill building used to bea supermarket...Crawfords I think it was.
    I don't remember Blacks being on the corner as it is now.

Woolworths used to be were the Art shop is now at the top next to Taskers.
    Last edited by Klaatu; 12-04-2007 at 03:48 PM.

I don't know how I missed this thread...I've just spent the last 40 mins going through it!
    The little buildings along Tunnel road did used to belong to coal merchants, I remember going inside one when I was a kid (They were still in use in the early 60's)..
    I remember going to my oldest sisters wedding in the Church opposite them in Tunnel road (Now demolished)..About 1960!

The picturehouse "The Tunny" was my local flea pit.
    I remember seeing Zulu, Battle of the Buldge, Stitch in time (Norman Wisdom) and all of the Saturday matinees there.

Such great memories!!

Picton Road (by Picton Crescent). There is a name on the right, where the brick-work differs...MARIENBU? Just wondering what it stands for.

Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast