Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425

Thread: Wavertree - Edge Hill Areas

I thought that was painted onto a gable end?
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

Wasn't it painted on wood and mounted?
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

It was Kev. But then someone had the bright idea that advertising would be better there and ripped half of it down!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cadfael View Post
    You would have to laugh if there was a technicality and that they couldn't demolish it and it ended up like that Farm did splitting the M62 in half!
    I love that farm, totally barmy but a brilliant piece of British eccentricity.

hello wavertreeboy,i lived in ono street in the early fiftys till 1968when it was demolished, and we were sent to netherly,i am desperate to find any photos of ono st or nebo st,or any of that area in or about that time.these streets where near the bridge on wellington rd hope you can help pal,im in iraq at the moment so anything from you would be greatly appreciated. all the best ,,,stepak

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Later.
    I should have checked my street directory first!
    In 1936, the various addresses in that part of Tunnel Road were all occupied by different coal merchants.
    After studying maps, they seem too small to be separate houses, and only seem big enough to contain one room each.
    There's also no open space at the back of the properties, so it looks like they were probably built as offices (in the 1860s or 1870s) - more than likely by the railway company.
    As a 'newbie' I'm still navigating the forum and have just found this thread.
    I was born and lived in Tunnel Road from 1950 to 1966, and our house was directly opposite the structure in question,and you can take it from me that they were coal merchants offices. The coalmen would pay their bills,or pick up tallies etc.They were mostly one roomed and had fireplaces ( I don't recall toilet facilities, but there was a public urinal just across the road by the Securicor depot).
    The structure that remains was a brick facade,the rear portion being built on cantilevered timbers as the land dropped dramatically down to the yards below ( a favourite play ground ).Hope I haven't been too pedantic!
    ~ Red Tom ~

Great thread - probabbly because it has brought back so many memories of the 60's and 70's when I lived in the area.

I have been racking my brains though as to the names of the streets bounded by Webster Road and Tunnel Road as the top and bottom with Spekeland Road and Earle Road as the sides. They were all demolished in the slum clearance of the early 70's. I seem to remember that they were in alphabetical order (although I might be completely wrong) -ie. Bannerman Street (behind Spofforth Road), Casterton Street, can't remember D or E, then Freeman Street etc. Anyone got a better memory than me?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Casterton Street, Edge Hill in 1978.

My stepfather used to live in Bective st.

I asked him if he could remember any of the street names. We looked in an old A to Z and he remembers most of these; Annerley st, Casterson st, Bective st, Freeman st, Fearnside st, Lindley st, Acton st, Boyton st, Barnet st, Wilfer st, Wrayburn st, Hawdon st, Claypole st, Rokesmith st, Lightwood st, Timpron st.

These streets ran between Spekeland and Earl.

(next to Bannerman st, is Darling st, Green st and Alexandra.)

This is the first time I have looked through this Wavertree thread.

My great-grandfather was one of Liverpool`s first tram drivers having been a locomotive engine driver (L&NR) prior to the arrival of the trams. He came from the Wirral to work in Liverpool as a groom (1861 census) in Haymans Green, West Derby. He settled in Wavertree and my grandfather, who also became a tram driver, and my father were born there.

My other great-grandfather was a carter at Hey Green Farm which was off Wavertree Road, Hey Green Road was named after the farm. There were very few buildings between Liverpool and the village of Wavertree in those days. He later became a police sergeant in Liverpool, living in Wavertree.

I was wondering if anyone had access to records of the tram company from this era?
    Last edited by Pinhani; 01-02-2011 at 02:27 PM. Reason: more info

Can't think of the author but there are 3 great tram books in Waterstones covering North, Eastern and Southern - all from the centre outwards. The books are blue, green and red respectively and the author and pics come from tram enthusiasts who give lots of record information. They're also in the library but that's closed at the mo for renovations.

Wavertree High Street in c1918 copyright of Paul Bolger. Whittaker's boot dealers at No102 then occupied the Dickensian style shop and it's still there today as one of the finest original Georgian shop fronts in the city. My effort from a similar angle today, follows.

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425