Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Wavertree - Edge Hill Areas

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marky View Post
    No, not that church...that at least is a Listed Building. The one I'm on about is in the middle of Tunnel Road, right next to the bridge over the railway. It has a couple of murals on it...one is of the Powerpuff Girls.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Thanx Kev, I was confused about that.

Quote Originally Posted by marie View Post
    I read it about Wavertree...

ok this has been buggin me, my parents and my mates in wavertree...every now and then theres a high pitched whistling sound sounds like screeching but its not. it goes on for a few seconds, stops then carries on a couple times more then doesnt happen for like 6 hours. its not the trains coz i hear the trains screeching all the time by the tech park coz i live near it.

listen out for it its doin my ead in

I can not listen anything since Picton Clock... Does anyone know what is it??
    Hi Marie,
    the noise that the kids are hearing, might be one of the gadgets that the police/authorities have been trying out? These things emit an annoying sound, but are only audible by younger people,(something to do with specific frequencies)and thier purpose is to discourage gangs congregating in particular areas/sites.According to your post, it seems to have the desired effect

Default St Cyprian Edge Lane

Quote Originally Posted by kat View Post
    As far as I am aware that particular church is in the video links I have posted look down the daily post list for the edge lane developments and it specifically mentions that church in the video.
    Kat

so, no its not going to be demolished.
    This church has now closed due to serious structural problems with the roof I believe. It is in the process of being transfered to the redundant churches list. parishioners are currently worshipping in a local school hall in Kensington

Is this the Church? St Cyprian?

Yes but church now closed Marie

Default Protestant Churches in Wavertree & Childwall

Thanx. For curiosity, are any protestant church in Wavertree or Childwall areas?
    There are several really. In Wavertree start with the Church of England's Holy Trinity, Church Rd; St Bridget, Lawrence Rd and St Mary, Victoria Park. In Childwall, Church of England's All Saints, Score Lane and St David's, Rocky lane.

Then of course there are the Methodists on Score Lane, United Reform Church on Lance Lane and the Congregationalist church on Hunters Lane. If you want your service in Welsh, then there's the Welsh Presbyterian Church on Heathfield Rd, Wavertree.

There may be others.
    Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    There are several really. In Wavertree start with the Church of England's Holy Trinity, Church Rd; St Bridget, Lawrence Rd and St Mary, Victoria Park. In Childwall, Church of England's All Saints, Score Lane and St David's, Rocky lane.

Then of course there are the Methodists on Score Lane, United Reform Church on Lance Lane and the Congregationalist church on Hunters Lane. If you want your service in Welsh, then there's the Welsh Presbyterian Church on Heathfield Rd, Wavertree.

There may be others.
    Hope this helps.
    Thanx u very much!! and sure, u have wroten a lot of info, thanx for help, however!!

I can not understand here, in England, how I could know if a church is Protestant, Catholic, ...
    I am sorry, but I do not know who are, the ideas, of the Methodist, the United Reform Church and The Church of England...

Default Churches

Thanx u very much!! and sure, u have wroten a lot of info, thanx for help, however!!

I can not understand here, in England, how I could know if a church is Protestant, Catholic, ...
    I am sorry, but I do not know who are, the ideas, of the Methodist, the United Reform Church and The Church of England...
    It's a long story to describe the origins of the different Protestant churches. In essence they all begin with the break of the Church of England from the Church of Rome in the mid 16th C. Roughly speaking the various other Protestant churches then formed out of the Church of England over the next few centuries. Generally they split off due to differences in some aspect of theology.

Most churches have signs outside telling you who they are. The Roman catholic ones in wavertree are Christ Church, Queen's Drive; Our Lady of Good Help in Chestnut Grove; St Hugh's in Lawrence Rd and Our Lady of the Annunciation Woolton Rd. The latter church is also called Bishop Eton but confusingly there never was a person called Bishop Eton !!
    Last edited by taffy; 07-29-2007 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    It's a long story to describe the origins of the different Protestant churches. In essence they all begin with the break of the Church of England from the Church of Rome in the mid 16th C. Roughly speaking the various other Protestant churches then formed out of the Church of England over the next few centuries. Generally they split off due to differences in some aspect of theology.

Most churches have signs outside telling you who they are. The Roman catholic ones in wavertree are Christ Church, Queen's Drive; Our Lady of Good Help in Chestnut Grove; St Hugh's in Lawrence Rd and Our Lady of the Annunciation Woolton Rd. The latter church is also called Bishop Eton but confusingly there never was a person called Bishop Eton !!
    Taffy!! I'm sorry!! I forget said to u thanx u very much for the info!!

Yes, I know the history about the differents churches, only I do not know how I can to know if a church is protestant, catholic, ... coz than u good say, somes churches have signs outside, but not all... Thanx!! However!!

Blog Entries

Go-ahead to bulldoze homes

THE Government has given the go-ahead for a Compul-sory Purchase Order (CPO) to bulldoze homes in Wavertree, Liverpool.

The streets included in the CPO are Scholar Street, Mulliner Street, Underley Street, Cantsfield Street and half of Tunstall Street.

pics pics pics
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default Mulliner St area, Edge Hill, Liverpool L7

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Go-ahead to bulldoze homes

THE Government has given the go-ahead for a Compul-sory Purchase Order (CPO) to bulldoze homes in Wavertree, Liverpool.

The streets included in the CPO are Scholar Street, Mulliner Street, Underley Street, Cantsfield Street and half of Tunstall Street.

pics pics pics
    Actually Edge Hill !! Let's hope these new houses look better in 20 years than the new ones built just up Smithdown road during the last demolition and rebuild project in this area.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mulliner St DSC00956R.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	4089   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mulliner St DSC00962R.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	127.9 KB 
ID:	4090   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20 Mulliner St DSC00952R.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	154.0 KB 
ID:	4091   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Smithdown Rd & Scholar St  Liverpool L7 00980R.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	4092   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	St Dunstan's Church Edge Hill DSC00955R.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	4093  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Part of Scholar St  L7 Edge Hill Liverpool 00961R.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	4094   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mulliner St junction with Smithdown Rd Edge Hill Liverpool L7  00968R.jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	4095  
    Last edited by taffy; 08-14-2007 at 09:10 AM.

Blog Entries

Thanks Taffy
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

kat2

Nice to hear common sense prevailed in the end, lets hope the government does what it had promised to do and give back power to local authorities, the same that is had happend here is the cause of a smilar situation in Lime street too. If a whole community had stood up against something then yes I agree, but for one or two individuals or even companys for that matter then sadly something has to be wrong, remember majority rule, I do hope that all those that move out get a good deal, but lets not be greedy and ask for hiper inflated prices. Lovely keep sake photographs, and remember regarding any homes, its how you look after them, just like your own health.
    kat

The council has run this area down over the last four years. Any homes that have become vacant have been purposely left to rot. Most of the owner occupiers are against demolition, the majority of the people in the area who get homes easily either from the council or housing associations don't care what happens as they will be rehoused. Note, I did say the majority not all.
    Owner occupiers, will not find it so easy to find affordable homes as solid as these houses. I know of two houses in these streets which became vacant over two years ago, one of then the tenant sadly died leaving a beautiful three bedroomed home which a family could have moved into staight away. The other one equally beatiful, the tenants moved out of Liverpool because of thier jobs, this was another house where a family could have moved into, Believe me there were plenty of faminlies who would have been happy to move in, but NO the council decided to let them rot. I can't understand it, the council could have been collecting rent from these houses for over two years.
    There are other houses which will come under phase two of the CPO'S
    (which is supposed to be 5 years away) left empty.Why can't the council let these houses out and collect rent from them, I'm not talking about the houses where a lot of money would have to be spent to bring them up to standard, I'm talking about the ones which need just a bit of cleaning up to be habitable.

kat2

Chris, people run down areas not councils, yes perhaps funding has been a bit short on street maintainance, with regards to your idea about doing some up cheaply until the time comes up for demolition the only problem with that is the cpo process all over again. Whilst I do feel for those that have lost their homes, the majority opted to take the money and run, I am not sure of all the ins and outs of this project, but certainly in early stages alot of people I spoke too were very keen to get onboard with it. Housing associations are strictly governed by the housing corporation, in order to maintain funding for future projects housing associations are governed by what is termed as the "decent homes standard", this standard is set very high.
    kat

Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast