Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Merseyside Halls, Estates and Dwellings

Default Buildings and Structures

Just joined and found this section which is great.
    I am still having a problem sorting out how to reply to individual submissions on content, and some things being quoted regarding certain photos and what they are, especially in the Woolton/ Allerton area.
    I was born and lived in Woolton from 1926 to 1955.

I will attrempt to post a photo of what became of Woolton Manor, which I knew before it had the devastating fire.
    I used to sneak in to the clubhouse in my early days, into a large circular room which had a long curved staircase, and slide down the balluster.

When I took the photo all that was left was the front columned facade, and Itb looked as though they were going to remove it. What a shame we lost so many of these old homes to fire and rotting out allowed.

Just discovered the want the URL of my image, why can't I just attach it as in a normal OE message..?

Quote Originally Posted by Wooltonian View Post
    Just joined and found this section which is great.
    I am still having a problem sorting out how to reply to individual submissions on content, and some things being quoted regarding certain photos and what they are, especially in the Woolton/ Allerton area.
    I was born and lived in Woolton from 1926 to 1955.

I will attrempt to post a photo of what became of Woolton Manor, which I knew before it had the devastating fire.
    I used to sneak in to the clubhouse in my early days, into a large circular room which had a long curved staircase, and slide down the balluster.

When I took the photo all that was left was the front columned facade, and Itb looked as though they were going to remove it. What a shame we lost so many of these old homes to fire and rotting out allowed.

Just discovered the want the URL of my image, why can't I just attach it as in a normal OE message..?

Do you have a picture hosting service? Photobucket or Flickr or similar. I use Flickr, and it's free to join. You can then post your pics in the same window as your message. Some people, eg., taffy, do post as attachments. Follow the instructions above the posting box where you see the paperclip.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Thanks Kev for all the info and pics of Croxteth Hall - they inspired me to go there with my brother (lived here all his life and never been there before!)during a flying visit this weekend for the Tall Ships. The house was almost deserted inside - fabulous interior and great atmosphere, and the kitchen garden with the pear tree "walls" was amazing. Then for good measure we went to the Williamson Tunnels and next day renewed acquaintance with Speke Hall. Anyone know what this little enclosure at Speke Hall was used for, opposite the door to the dairy (the way out)? It had a little arched entrance and looked as though it had been roofed, so it could have been a storage area for something, but the little compartments you can see in the pic seem to be too small for storing anything much. The guide in the dairy didn't know either.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spekehall_resized.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	7423
    Anyway, this site has been a fantastic source of inspiration to (re)discover the city, from stately homes to Quincy's daily laugh - thanks to all!

What a WONDERFUL thread! Thank you so much for sharing these great pics, everybody!

While following this thread last night, I realised how little I know of Liverpool... I've only been to Speke Hall once and to Croxteth Hall & Country Park on two occasions.

My Gran was 'in service' to the Holts at Sudley before she got married in 1904
    My mum has a photo of her and her mum, taken around 1930, on the grass outside of the house.I will she if she will let me post it.
    Last edited by GNASHER; 09-12-2008 at 09:22 PM.

Thumbs up Vale Roader.

Hi Wooltonian,
    I think you will know who I am when I sign off, In the war it was the
    convalescent home for invalid service men. I used to get my picture money
    by going to the Derby Arms to ask customers to buy bottles of ale for them
    and going to the little shop next door Miss Disley's, for cigs and take them
    down Hillfoot Rd, to where the sandstone wall of Camp Hill met the railings
    of the home,where we passed the cigs and ale to the inmates they would
    be waiting in a large wooden out house with no side walls and just bench
    seats getting the good Woolton fresh air.
    I hope all is well with you and your good Lady.

Cheer's,

Tippo.

Quote Originally Posted by GNASHER View Post
    My Gran was 'in service' to the Holts at Sudley before she got married in 1904
    My mum has a photo of her and her mum, taken around 1930, on the grass outside of the house.I will she if she will let me post it.
    Hi Gnasher,
    There's an exhibition at Sudley,mainly of the clothing collection donated by the descendants of the Holt family.There are also several mini-displays on various aspects of life in the house,which include a list of comments,and photo's, about the in-house staff.Maybe your gran is already famous!
    Last edited by wsteve55; 05-13-2009 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phredd View Post
    Paul can you tell me the name and/or location of this pic please.
    If it is where I think it is, it is a part of my past.

Is it AYMESTRY COURT ?? on Acrefield Road

Phredd
    Yes it is,it was a domain for wayward and disadvantaged girls in the sixties when i was a kid,lay derelict for a long time,then became the Redbourne Hotel.

---------- Post added at 01:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Cheers Cad. What's the history of the building? Anyone?
    Woolton Manor was a convalescent home for troops from the trenches after WW1,many of whom had been gassed.It is said Ghosts of those soldiers can be seen at times on Camphill of a night!When i was a kid in the sixties it was a Nurses Home,with beautiful grounds,well kept with enchanting paths and pergolas with benches inside,like heaven it was,we used to bunk over the spikey railings on hillfoot rd.Heaven was growing up and playing out around Woolton,Caldies and Allerton.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789