Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Walk of Fame

Blog Entries

Exclamation Walk of Fame

LIVERPOOL Labour MP Louise Ellman is calling for immediate action to repair the city's rundown Walk of Fame ahead of European Capital of Culture in 2008.

The mile-long walkway, bearing the names of Liverpool stars of stage and screen, was laid at Otterspool promenade at a cost of £50,000.

But more than 20 years after the first flag was laid, the walkway has been reduced to a rubbish-strewn eyesore and a target for thieves and vandals.

Many of the flagstones are cracked and broken.....

I love it in its present state although getting it restored should be the priority.

Check out the rest of the pics here

What do you think? Have you visited it recently?

Last edited by Kev; 10-27-2007 at 11:07 AM.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default 4 Kev

Hi kev, whereabouts on the prom is 'The Walk'? I went down there today, did the half down to Garston end but no luck. Hope you can point me in the right direction. Cheers
    Ermine tastes much the same as sackcloth when there's nothing left to eat.

A.D.Williams

The Walk of Fame is not far from the old Garden Festival Hall.

Default 4 dave68

Thanks Dave, is that actually on the prom or on the top road or within the Festival site itself? I know... I'm thick!

By the way, nice site, spot on! Ta.

A.D.Williams

It's at the back of the Britannia Inn right next to the river. You can't miss it.

A.D.Williams

To the left of this picture!

Got it! I can have a pint while I'm looking! Thanks Dave.

No wonder I've never seen the walkway only beentootterspool once.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Max
    beentootterspool
    Thats almost a website address:

www.beentootterspool.com

Whos setting it up?!
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

A Hollywood-style Walk of Fame could be set up in Cardiff to honour the great and good of Wales.

A National Walk of Fame - the second of its kind in the UK - would pay tribute to famous and distinguished Welsh men and women.

Their names would be inlaid in silver on individually-carved stone plaques.

(Now where d'you think the FIRST one was?).....WRONG! Read on...

And members of Cardiff Council are expected to visit the UK's other Walk of Fame - in Brighton - later this month before making their decision on the scheme.

Councillor Nigel Howells, the council's executive member for leisure, sport and culture, said: "A Welsh National Walk of Fame could be a major new attraction, paying tribute to famous and distinguished Welsh men and women.

Source

So where does that leave ours,eh?
    Perhaps ours is now so dilapidated, it should be renamed 'The walk of Shame'!

I e-mailed Louise Ellman about possibly relocating it outside the new waterfront arena,that area has been mentioned before and it would be seen by thousands,probably nothing will come of it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D
    I e-mailed Louise Ellman about possibly relocating it outside the new waterfront arena,that area has been mentioned before and it would be seen by thousands,probably nothing will come of it.
    Thats a great idea Paul The area where it is at the mo has been long forgotten about.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default Walk of Fame - fresh approach needed

Dear all

There has been a thread over on SSC instigated by Billy Butler trying to get the 'walk of fame rienstated from the festival gardens to the Kings Dock . It seems to be general opinion that is a tacky and typically parochial idea of Mr Butler who seems to think Cilla and Tarbuck constitute Liverpool culture.

In order to try and raise the bar a bit am trying to garner interest in an effort to propose something a little more ambitious and meaningful to the powers that be and would like the debate to take place here as well as on SSC ( and anywhere else). Here is a post I made on SSC this evening. Please comment/debate as appropriate.

I think there are some SSC people on this board but if you haven seen me post there I am an expat who now lives near Los Angeles and am trying to find a way to stay involved in issues I care about - trying to faciltate this effort is maybe one way I can help - I have pretty good network of contacts over there still.

regards

LABlue

Walk of Fame - A proposal

It occurs to me that the first order of the day is to define whatever we want in place of a walk of fame to achieve. What’s its purpose? What are we trying to achieve? Once we get agreement on that aspect it should be clear that a walk of fame in its current incarnation does not meet the objectives and we and others can turn attention to the ‘what’.

I will post my own ideas on the ‘what’ in another post on another day but to start the ball rolling I have outlined some possible objectives for a ‘walk of fame’ type resource for the city . This is based on some research I did into two other famous walks– the Hollywood Walk of Fame here in Los Angeles and the Freedom Trail in Boston. Two very different objectives yet to me combine a sense of what in my opinion makes Liverpool unique.

So here’s the outline – if we can get a quorum agreeing with this – and by agreement I don’t mean agreeing to every word but “CAN YOU LIVE WITH IT, SIGN YOUR NAME TO IT AND ACTIVELY SUPPORT IT”.

If there is enough I will try and shop the notion with some well placed people in Liverpool as a move towards inviting ideas for a resource that achieves these objectives which will hopefully not be a walk of fame in its current form.

I will need your help and suggestions as to who this should go to should we get that far. We need Tony Sebos in put on this imho.

This is meant to have holes shot in it and invite debate. The only thing I ask is that debate ceases at some point and the people who so want to support it move it forward and those that don’t, don’t and resist from torpedoing it from behind the scenes.

A Vision

To provide an informative, educational and entertaining resource for the City Of Liverpool and its visitors to recognize the impacts /contribution of the city and its people to the world on a local, national and international level.

Vision Themes

• A living resource - constantly updated
    • Interactive – encouraging people who use it to want to know more
    • Inwardly looking to the residents of the city and outward looking to the visitors to the city

Guiding Principles

• The notion of impacts ‘locally, nationally and internationally’ are both good and bad and non judgemental.
    • The level of impacts are based on objective review and facts, not just opinion
    • It must be financially self supporting but non profit
    • It must be regarded as high quality
    • It must have a strong and visible governance to ensure its sustainability
    • The governance process must be inclusive of the private, public and voluntary sector as well as individual voices
    • While using elements of other resources in other cities It must be seen as exclusive /unique to Liverpool building on the city’s existing and future strengths
    • It should ensure that it can be expanded to the City Region as appropriate.
    • The ‘people’ of Liverpool does includes those who have proven linkage to the city not just those who born here and currently live there.
    • It should be open to the public 24 hours a day

OK shoot away – I will try and post on the Yo Liverpool Board and feel free to post or email to anyone you think want to get in on this debate. The more the merrier.

I will also ask that we decide a deadline date when we cease talking and decide if there’s enough of a group to move this agenda forward. I suggest a week from now as if we do want to move it forward I will be in the UK 13th -24th August and can meet up with those who want to actively push this .

Many thanks

PS if you’d rather comment privately PM me and I will provide my email address

Blog Entries

Wwlcome to the forum LABlue, the SSC lads speak very highly of you. Thanks for your support. Lots to think about in your above posts, I'm sure members will get back to you.

Kev

The Walk of Fame constantly updated just like the Hollywood Walk of Fame seems like a good idea, once its down again it should'nt be 'set in stone' like the present one. The city should be able to expand it as necessary.

Maybe some of the entrants into the hall of fame here?

A Wall of Fame could make more of an impact.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kev
    Wwlcome to the forum LABlue, the SSC lads speak very highly of you.

They obviously dont know me

Thanks for your support. Lots to think about in your above posts, I'm sure members will get back to you.

Kev

The Walk of Fame constantly updated just like the Hollywood Walk of Fame seems like a good idea, once its down again it should'nt be 'set in stone' like the present one. The city should be able to expand it as necessary.

Maybe some of the entrants into the hall of fame here?

A Wall of Fame could make more of an impact.

Good link to that list - I appreciate it. It would /will be an ineresting debate as to who would make the cut . Does anyone know whos on the walk at the Festival Gardens or how I can find out ?

Off to work now - 7am here, Will check back in tonight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast