Thread: 6th Allerton Cubs & Scouts

Default 6th Allerton Cubs & Scouts

Don't know if any of you went to these Scout Groups at Kettle Nook in Garston - probably loads of you did - just to let you know that after a period of demise this well-known and much loved Scout troop has now been re-launched. Scouts is Wednesday evening at 7.30 for girls and boys over 10 and a half. Loads of activities to keep them off the streets and out of your hair. Girls and Boys 14 and a half and over Explorer scouts is Thursday at 7.30 they do loads of stuff - camping, walking Hadrian's wall for charity, Duke of Edinburgh awards. They are hoping to re-launch Cubs very soon and start off a Beaver group for 6 - 8 year olds - finding the volunteers to run/help will prove a challenge - I hope they succeed.

Last edited by sweetpatooti; 09-14-2006 at 12:31 AM.

Smile 6th Allerton Scout Group

Thank's 'Sweetie'! It's good to hear that the old scout group is still in existance. I was a member way back in the distant past! Scout Master was a Mr Constable, (Railway train driver, who lived in Meredith St, opp the 'Matchworks' Speke Rd, Asst Scoutmaster was a 'Paddy' Duncan' I well remember the march to St Micheals church each Sunday morning, 'Drums' and 'Bugle's' playing the way there! I'mm amazed to hear that the old scout hut is still there in Kettle Nook! Thanks for the memory! takes me back to the 1940'S!!!

Blog Entries

I was in the cubs there from about the age of 7, that was the early 80's, then did the scouts and left very soon after.

Got all my badges and went to the Cub/ Scout Olympics at Tord Vale
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    I was in the cubs there from about the age of 7, that was the early 80's, then did the scouts and left very soon after.

Got all my badges and went to the Cub/ Scout Olympics at Tord Vale
    Explorers off to camp this weekend again - another batch of muddy sweaty socks to wash

Quote Originally Posted by Norm NZ View Post
    Thank's 'Sweetie'! It's good to hear that the old scout group is still in existance. I was a member way back in the distant past! Scout Master was a Mr Constable, (Railway train driver, who lived in Meredith St, opp the 'Matchworks' Speke Rd, Asst Scoutmaster was a 'Paddy' Duncan' I well remember the march to St Micheals church each Sunday morning, 'Drums' and 'Bugle's' playing the way there! I'mm amazed to hear that the old scout hut is still there in Kettle Nook! Thanks for the memory! takes me back to the 1940'S!!!
    Brilliant Norm! Sid Constable is a legend in Garston. The Scout Hut was rebuilt in the 60s and the have got a big field at the back where they camp out and cook food (badly) on the campfire - it's amazing what they'll eat when they've cooked it themselves.

Good News is they think they may have a cub leader so I will post when that is up and running again

Is that the one on Aigburth Vale?
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

No Max it's in Garston by the hospital.

Default Re 6th Allerton Scout Group.

Hey Kev! I too spent a w/end at Tawd Vale! many years before you though! still remember having to make the porridge for breakfast, and then washing the dishes in the river (or was it just a stream?) and to Sweetpatooti, 'Thanks' for reminding me it was 'Sid' Constable! I wracked my brain trying to remember his first name! I can still visualise him in his railway clothes walking up Speke Rd (I lived in the 'Tennies' then) A few other names come to mind like 'Feasts' Gilmores' etc, and the Concert Party held in the old Jubilee Institute in King St. 'Happy Days'!

One of my lad's has just gone to the weekend camp in Tawd Vale. The names you mention are still around ...Tennies have gone though - you probably knew that.

Default 6th Allerton Scouts

Yes! knew about the 'Tennies'! I get lots of info from this site regards to Garston, (Thanks to Kev , and others) it keeps me in touch with my old home!
    Hope your boy has a good weekend at the 'Vale' and hope the weather keeps fine for the camp. Regards to All.

Cool scouts , cubs & brownies..

these groups should be encouraged more and supported by the government because it was always fun to go to once a week, to meet your mates and occasionally meet new friends, or see the sister of one of your mates who you really fancied and would he give her a message...

and the pride to polish your badges or work towards your next level and it just promoted fun & enthusiasm in kids who now just sit at home and play stupid games which take hours and hours and hours... they always have to beat the high score...

they also were/are great skill developers, I mean howm many kids at school now can tie a sheepshank or reef knot...?

very few i fear...

bring back the scouts & brownies...

Lemmo...

The

Friends of 6th Allerton Scouts and Equinox Exlporer Group are having a firework display at Kettle Nook next Saturday (4th November). Bonfire will be lit at

6.30 and everybody will get a free raffle ticket to press the big red button to light it!. Entrance is 25p (I think) but strictly

NO UNACCOMPANIED CHILDREN. Every child must be with an adult (not older brother or sister). If fireworks are

brought they must be handed in to the Scouts on entry and they will be kept in a steel chest with the rest to be lit by the Scout Leaders only in the

designated safety area.

Hot dogs and tea/coffee/juice available. Raffles and stuff. If you are in Garston and want somewhere safe to see some

fireworks - come along.

Default 6th Allerton Scouts

"I'd love to be there! but too far to travel I'm

afraid"! but my regards to them all, and I hope the evening goes well! "Go! the Otter Patrol"!

Keep your eye on the sky Norm - we'll send a rocket off just for you.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpatooti View Post
    Keep your eye on the sky Norm - we'll send a rocket off just for you.
    "Thanks'! I'll watch out for it! But

please make sure it does'nt land in my garden, I've just planted out my summer vegatables!!!