Thread: Hey up Ged

George

Default Hey up Ged

All the time I've been visiting your site and didn't realise you hadn't any photies dedicated to just "Sir Thomas White Gardens",like you have with the other gardens.

Time for you to rummage in the LRO.

My Auntie lived in "Myrtle gardens",her husband commited suicide by slashing his wrist whilst sitting in a bath of water.
    Them gardens where of "Art Deco" appearence

Hi George. Already rummaged through the Tommy Whites file in the LRO and what is available is on my site. There has to be a good number of pics for them to get a dedicated page like the Bully, Vauxy or Gerard Gardens.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

George

I guess STW wasn't part of the slum clearence as they stood for a number of years after the demolition of the houses.

I suppose they were part of their own little clearance programme in order to build the garden houses now south of Penrose st. The pics of STWG are on the 'other tenements' page along with other tenement pics for which there are only a few pics.

There seemed to be spurious reasoning behind some of the demolitions of the tenements.

Chaucer House went and that corner of Scotland Road and Juvenal St left barren for many years.

The site of the 4 squares is still desolate and crudely landscaped.

Blackstock Gardens and Lawrence Gardens supposedly went for the Kingsway tunnel but the former is nowhere near it and the latter survived on the loop for a few years afterwards despite of the tunnel.

Gerard Gardens went for road improvements When at least part of it could have been saved if not it all.

Is what's on the site of St. Oswalds House any better - a low level tin shed supermarket with a massive car park fronting it?

George

Money talks Ged and we can honestly say its all down to architechects and developers,ie build new estates and move them out of the gardens into the new estates.
    Cantriil Farm was a sh*thole when it was built and even now it still one after its revamp...I know, I lived there since it was built and moved out ten years ago.

All the gardens were solid and easily revamepd and modernised,the brickwork could have been either sandblasted or a ten year paint job done it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Money talks Ged and we can honestly say its all down to architechects and developers,ie build new estates and move them out of the gardens into the new estates.
    Cantriil Farm was a sh*thole when it was built and even now it still one after its revamp...I know, I lived there since it was built and moved out ten years ago.

All the gardens were solid and easily revamepd and modernised,the brickwork could have been either sandblasted or a ten year paint job done it.
    Well, just go and look at the Bullring. Done a great job on that.

It took 2 years to knock Gerard Gardens down, i've footage of the big iron ball trying to demolish part of it, the crane driver raises it then lets it go onto one of the thick concrete landings, a bit of dust and a loose brick falls off

Sloyan Doyle must've made a mint getting the contract off the council to rid the city of those tennies.

There are no doubt many reasons why the Gardens should / shouldn't have been demolished, but I for one wish they had remained for a while longer.

Dovecot shops, Norris Green's Broadway and other similar buildings remain and if you step vack and look at them, they are fantastic. With money spent on them and then the right sort of upkeep thereafter these could once again be beautiful buildings.
    My Merseyside StreetView photos on flickr

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ross08 View Post
    There are no doubt many reasons why the Gardens should / shouldn't have been demolished, but I for one wish they had remained for a while longer.

Dovecot shops, Norris Green's Broadway and other similar buildings remain and if you step vack and look at them, they are fantastic. With money spent on them and then the right sort of upkeep thereafter these could once again be beautiful buildings.
    Your right there as Broadway is decent. It's a shame they got rid of the old flats next to the bank (TSB) which was for pensioners then they let the smackheads in and then the bulldozers

You've probably seen that video of the pompous City Architect saying how wonderful they are, but he does mention that the flats were big. Were they?

What went wrong? As someone said the Bull Ring looks great.

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

If we're talking of the flats in Broadway. They where big actually but not in height. It used to take up the whole side next to the TSB. They looked nice too.

Not big as in tall; but big as in lots of space... ?