Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Polish community in Liverpool

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
    Is there evidence that 'our own school leavers' are interested? Is there evidence that locals with the required skill base are being passed over when applying for jobs in favour of cheaper overseas labour? So much of this seems like hearsay. My understanding is that there isn't the required skill base locally. (Apart from 'painters and decorators'). Isn't there also something about quite a few people without any skills or qualifications seeing themselves as deserving more than the minimum wage and refusing to work for what they describe as 'peanuts'?

I welcome all the newcomers wherever they come from as long as they are prepared to work for the greater good. I'm greatful for the contributions they make to the city's propsperity.

I only go on what is reported in the radio show I mentioned so not hearsay. The Linda McDermott show also had the Arriva bus Co boss on who had (illegally) applied to an overseas recruitment agency (you can't discriminate on ageist, sexist, racist issues as you know so definitely cannot legally do what these did) to supply polish workers. When asked by the local job centre official why they had not applied locally he said there was no uptake. The JC offical asked how he knew this if he'd bypassed his local JC in the first place. The silence was deafening. Like I say, all well and good when there's full employment here but you fall into the trap of government policies whereby you ask are school leavers interested? Well maybe if they were given the option of no job seekers allowance if they're ''not interested'' you'd see a bigger uptake. Eg. Warren Bradley says that only just over 50% of all the Grosvenor Development workers are Liverpool based and the new arena's overseas workers is quite a high percentage yet I know lads who'd love to get on the trademens/brickie/plasterers rung but the funding and training services are dismal. I too welcome overseas workers who work for the greater good but let's not fall into the trap that ALL youngsters can't be arsed as that's as bad as saying all estates are overun by all youngsters when it's only a small percentage and the rest do want to work.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Shapers

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I only go on what is reported in the radio show I mentioned so not hearsay. The Linda McDermott show also had the Arriva bus Co boss on who had (illegally) applied to an overseas recruitment agency (you can't discriminate on ageist, sexist, racist issues as you know so definitely cannot legally do what these did) to supply polish workers. When asked by the local job centre official why they had not applied locally he said there was no uptake. The JC offical asked how he knew this if he'd bypassed his local JC in the first place. The silence was deafening. Like I say, all well and good when there's full employment here but you fall into the trap of government policies whereby you ask are school leavers interested? Well maybe if they were given the option of no job seekers allowance if they're ''not interested'' you'd see a bigger uptake. Eg. Warren Bradley says that only just over 50% of all the Grosvenor Development workers are Liverpool based and the new arena's overseas workers is quite a high percentage yet I know lads who'd love to get on the trademens/brickie/plasterers rung but the funding and training services are dismal. I too welcome overseas workers who work for the greater good but let's not fall into the trap that ALL youngsters can't be arsed as that's as bad as saying all estates are overun by all youngsters when it's only a small percentage and the rest do want to work.
    The fact of the matter is, the enemy of the homegrown jobseekers is the Employment Bosses. They choose to skip local JC applications and go straight to the foriegn workers (in this case, Arriva) and the Polish come here chuffed to bits that they are able to make, compared to what they get back home, a fortune. Sadly what they get is a frosty reception from colleagues who should be getting the union involved and making the Polish fight for the same wage.

But, a lot of Brits 'won't get out of bed' for minimum wage and think certain jobs are beneath them. But they are happy to live on £57 or £45 a week. I myself is on minimum wage and on an agency and in casual work because i was laid off from my last job at christmas and was on ok money, i got sick of doing nothing for over 2 months and applied for well over 25 jobs and only got one reply, the one am doing now.

Now i can sit here and like the rest say 'they prefer Poles' but i have been on and off agencies for almost 10 years and sometimes could be the only person that turns up for the job on behalf of the agency. Now if 4 of you are mean't to start, thats not good. The Poles and other foriegn workers turn up at a drop of a hat, hence they get the nod. Wrong, maybe, but would what would you do if you was getting let down constantly and losing money? Even in my last job, a agency sent a number of workers and only 2 of them were from Liverpool. One ended up with a full time job, but the other was moaning about the job, claiming he could do better and did very little and moaned about the foriegners. He lasted one afternoon.

There is a fair few local people who can sit at home all day and smoke pot or drink vodka or sit in the pub whilst reaping more than £57 a week through cheating the system. If these people don't fill in local vacancies, then a lot of companies have no choice but to look elsewhere.

Therein lies the problem. Government policy but it's a tough one.

Do you take the hard line and withdraw benefits thereby declaring 'let's see you go the pub and buy your weed (and harder stuff) now' whereupon many will cry that it's only forcing these types into further wrongdoing to suppliment their 'life choice' - which it is. Or - what?

Shapers

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Therein lies the problem. Government policy but it's a tough one.

Do you take the hard line and withdraw benefits thereby declaring 'let's see you go the pub and buy your weed (and harder stuff) now' whereupon many will cry that it's only forcing these types into further wrongdoing to suppliment their 'life choice' - which it is. Or - what?
    There is a hardcore element who will simply will not work. And lets be honest, would you want those who have no intention of pulling there weight working on your team? I don't.

I don't know what the answer is, you listed what would happen if they took away there benefits.

No, I wouldn't want the hardcore element on my team but are these not just a small percentage of those currently out of work. The trouble is, as layabouts from the last couple of decades have children who are not used to a breadwinner and a workers mentality in the home and so they procreate causing generations of this ilk - and so the problem will get worse. I wouldn't like to think imported labour as being the long term solution as what will our grandchildren's prospects be.

scouserdave

Is there evidence that 'our own school leavers' are interested? Is there evidence that locals with the required skill base are being passed over when applying for jobs in favour of cheaper overseas labour? So much of this seems like hearsay. My understanding is that there isn't the required skill base locally. (Apart from 'painters and decorators'). Isn't there also something about quite a few people without any skills or qualifications seeing themselves as deserving more than the minimum wage and refusing to work for what they describe as 'peanuts'?
    You contradict yourself. You ask for evidence, yet make the statement below without supporting it with evidence. Quite funny actually
    Isn't there also something about quite a few people without any skills or qualifications seeing themselves as deserving more than the minimum wage and refusing to work for what they describe as 'peanuts'?

Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    You contradict yourself. You ask for evidence, yet make the statement below without supporting it with evidence. Quite funny actually
    LOL! And I thought I was asking a question.

Shapers

I would of said it was a question

scouserdave

LOL! And I thought I was asking a question.
    LOL!

scouserdave

Quote Originally Posted by Shapers View Post
    I would of said it was a question
    LOL!

Shapers

Quote Originally Posted by scouserdave View Post
    LOL!
    Hilarious

Quote Originally Posted by Shapers View Post
    There is a hardcore element who will simply will not work. And lets be honest, would you want those who have no intention of pulling there weight working on your team? I don't.

I don't know what the answer is, you listed what would happen if they took away there benefits.
    If they are fit for work, but will not then I suggest the cat'o'nine tails. Soaking said item before hand in salt water does the trick. It might be a little harsh, but it works all the time.

Last edited by A.D.W; 04-04-2007 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Too many finds for my liking!!!! :)
    Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

Shapers

Quote Originally Posted by A. D. Williams View Post
    If they are fit for work, but will not then I suggest the cat'o'nine tails. If find soaking said item before hand in salt water does the trick. It might be a little harsh, but I find it works all the time.

Think the overseas labour idea works better

Well I though it had been a civilised discussion and then........
    " If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from".

"I could have been a footballer - but I had a paper round"..Yosser Hughes

Shapers

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Well I though it had been a civilised discussion and then........
    Find its best just to go with the flow John.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast