Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Polish community in Liverpool

Quote Originally Posted by Shapers View Post
    Plus for people who don't want to work should encourage foriegn labour, the tax money they contribute will help keep idle scroungers in white lightning.
    Always quick with the insults.

Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

Shapers

Who am i insulting? I never said you was a scrounger.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveFaragher View Post
    I had a Polish barber in garston in thehttp://www.turkeytube.co.uk/view_vid...4aa9d5bade97ba early 1960's when I was a kid, he was alright, I always thought it was funny that the hairspray he used to use was Cossack brand (remember that!!)

now I have to go to Turkey for a decent shave most english barbers wont use a cut throat for fear of cross contamination!!!

http://www.turkeytube.co.uk/view_vid...4aa9d5bade97ba
    Steve, I use to go to the poles just under the bridge, I thought he was called the pole because of the barbers pole outside, my dad and 4 boys day out to the pole, he was great always pleased to see us boys.
    I also had a shave in Bodrum, brilliant and very entertaining; there were a number of locals in the shop including a transvestite sitting in the corner singing songs, never laughed so much and we don't speak the same language.
    " If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from".

"I could have been a footballer - but I had a paper round"..Yosser Hughes

Quote Originally Posted by Shapers View Post
    Who am i insulting? I never said you was a scrounger.
    You can insult me all you like, sausage. It was the people who find themselves out of work I was defending.
    Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

I don't think shapers did insult you AD

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    I don't think shapers did insult you AD

Figure of speech, squire, figure of speech!
    Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

Anyway back to the thread

No doubt the Poles work hard, but it is a shame that you feel the need to say local people do not work as hard. Sounds a little racist to me. AD

Racist whats racist, I would say the Repatriation is racist. Its the Poles turn this week, whos next? Me

I did not understand where the racism came in AD?

Quote Originally Posted by A. D. Williams View Post
    Figure of speech, squire, figure of speech!
    Lost me sausage

Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Anyway back to the thread

No doubt the Poles work hard, but it is a shame that you feel the need to say local people do not work as hard. Sounds a little racist to me. AD

Racist whats racist, I would say the Repatriation is racist. Its the Poles turn this week, whos next? Me

I did not understand where the racism came in AD?
    Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

Shapers

Well AD, i have seen the same people who have been 'looking for work' for 10 years or more using the same excuse with any flavour of the month foriegn target. Indians, Philipinos, Kosovans and at the moment its Polish or Czech and in the near future it will be Bulgarians or Romanians. Funny how other people find work though.

Shapers

Quote Originally Posted by A. D. Williams View Post
    You can insult me all you like, sausage. It was the people who find themselves out of work I was defending.
    I would rather not resort to insulting Queen

I am all for imported skilled labour into the country and nowhere else much more than Liverpool is famous for such a diversity historically. However, one should ask why our own school leavers are not taught the trades and fed into apprenticeships like the old days.

According to a recent Roger Phillips one hour special on radio merseyside, union leaders and older tradesmen feared for the future. It seems lots of foreign construction workers do not have to show a H&S card on sites and are in fact paid as self employed workers meaning that the bosses of the firms do not have to pay tax and NIC and pay a lower wage anyway.

Lower pay results in lower taxes and lower NIC contributions, the likes of which todays contributions by workers are paying for todays elderly which is increasing. Job seekers allowance (by it's very name, a benefit paid whilst job seeking should be discontinued if people are not genuinely job seeking)

Remembering that the welfare state was set up to help people in real hardship and the dole was for people 'between employment' (and not meant to mean 10 years) seems to have gone from an assistance to a right.

In the meantime, as more and more countries enter the E.U. free movement of people and employment, expect an even bigger drain on resources such as the NHS and housing as we can only sustain so much before something has to give. The imbalance is that the wealthier people are leaving these shores and taking their money with them that their new hosts abroad demand.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I am all for imported skilled labour into the country and nowhere else much more than Liverpool is famous for such a diversity historically. However, one should ask why our own school leavers are not taught the trades and fed into apprenticeships like the old days.

Is there evidence that 'our own school leavers' are interested? Is there evidence that locals with the required skill base are being passed over when applying for jobs in favour of cheaper overseas labour? So much of this seems like hearsay. My understanding is that there isn't the required skill base locally. (Apart from 'painters and decorators'). Isn't there also something about quite a few people without any skills or qualifications seeing themselves as deserving more than the minimum wage and refusing to work for what they describe as 'peanuts'?

I welcome all the newcomers wherever they come from as long as they are prepared to work for the greater good. I'm greatful for the contributions they make to the city's propsperity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
    Is there evidence that 'our own school leavers' are interested? Is there evidence that locals with the required skill base are being passed over when applying for jobs in favour of cheaper overseas labour? So much of this seems like hearsay. My understanding is that there isn't the required skill base locally. (Apart from 'painters and decorators'). Isn't there also something about quite a few people without any skills or qualifications seeing themselves as deserving more than the minimum wage and refusing to work for what they describe as 'peanuts'?

I welcome all the newcomers wherever they come from as long as they are prepared to work for the greater good. I'm greatful for the contributions they make to the city's propsperity.

New EU migrants may be eroding pay levels

· Senior adviser warns Blair over east European influx
    · PM due to give key speech today on future of work

Patrick Wintour, political editor
    Friday March 30, 2007
    The Guardian

The influx of immigrants into the EU from the 10 eastern European accession countries may be starting to push down wages among low-paid workers, and leading to a rise in unemployment among unskilled workers, the prime minister has been told by one of his closest advisers.

Tony Blair was given the politically sensitive information by Lord Turner at a seminar in preparation for a major lecture today on the future of work. The lecture is one of a series of valedictory addresses being given by the prime minister.

Concerns over the impact of immigration are understood to be shared by ministers at the Department for Work and Pensions, even though the government's official economic analysis has not yet shown a clear link between falling pay levels and immigration from eastern Europe.

Lord Turner, a former chairman of the Low Pay Commission and author of the government's landmark report on pensions, told Mr Blair that the latest evidence suggested that migrants were beginning to push down wages at the lower end of the income scale. They were displacing some less skilled workers, making it more difficult to persuade some of the long-term unemployed to seek work - partly because the immigrant workers were more willing to work unlawfully for less than the minimum wage.

The influx may also make it more difficult to increase the level of the minimum wage in the future. The introduction of the minimum wage in 1999 will be hailed by Mr Blair in today's speech as one of the major achievements of the Labour government.

Since the 10 eastern European countries joined the EU, the UK economy has absorbed an estimated 500,000 migrant workers, although many of these will have returned to their native country.

Mr Blair was urged by other academics at the seminar to do more to counter growing wage inequalities in Britain, on the basis that widening inequalities between senior executives and other workers within a company can reduce productivity. He has been reluctant to take such advice, arguing that any wage inequality has been driven by international competition for senior executives.

In his speech, Mr Blair will argue that the Labour government has given a new meaning to the term "labour flexibility", turning it from a euphemism for exploitation into a phrase which helps to empower workers with skills and rights.

"In the era of open economies, a flexible labour market is a desirable, indeed a necessary, thing," the prime minister will say. "We saw flexibility as a two-way street. We wanted to give flexibility to the employee as well as the employer.

"This used to be posed as a choice: either a flexible labour market or rights for workers. We saw that you could have a flexible labour market and a flexible labour force. Indeed, that it was vital to have both."

Source: Guardian Unlimited

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast