Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Polish community in Liverpool

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    OMG - just think of Thatcher, that's a passion killer

" If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from".

"I could have been a footballer - but I had a paper round"..Yosser Hughes

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    OMG - just think of Thatcher, that's a passion killer
    I think Tony Blair is the bigger passion killer, but each to his own I suppose.

Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

Kev and AD please keep on topic

Passion killers is another thread
    " If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from".

"I could have been a footballer - but I had a paper round"..Yosser Hughes

Quote Originally Posted by drone_pilot View Post
    Polish Shop in Kensington,
    You have to admire the poles for their resolution.
    They do small gurkins in sweet wine vineger, Loverly.

Nice pic! There's another Polish store on the next block as well, opposite Holt Road.

About to find Basque people, I was joking. But It´s true that I cannor saw a lot of foreigners in Pool, than London or others cities.

I do not find to anybody for our nationality. I like to know the people who cross my way. But I think that it is important to adapt to a place, without never forgetting wherefrom you come. Here, for example, there have been some problems. The doors were opened always as tourist. They were coming as tourists, and they have remained to living illegally. When the Government hardened the procedure for businessman that they were contracting illegal, these persons remained without work.

This provoked an increase of delinquency. For example, in some small villages, some communities of illegal were overcoming the number of native inhabitants. When one prohibited them to be employed at the fish-ponds, they continued encamped. To be able to survive, they were stealing in fields and houses.

I do not know the English laws, on regulation of emigration, but I know that are different. But I have a Mauritanian friend, who lives here for years. He does not want to leave of here, has fixed work, a house in rent, studies Castilian(Spanish) and Basque, etc. He is happy here. The attempt to visit his friend who lives in London, and the Government did not allow it to him. For that the British Government is afraid that he remains like illegal.

Here the situation is different from England. The specially Chinese and African communities, they do not mix with the rest. They live in a so called neighborhood San Francisco, near the center of the city. There they have his business for them. Many of them have not learned Castilian or Basque. They do not want to establish contact with native people of here. Here, you cannot see a white boy speaking with a black boy. Why? I do not understand it. The same thing does not happen in other places of the world. I think that it is important to adapt to the customs of the country in which you live.

The slightly difficult one to deal for me, for which when I visited Africa, I had to put on a handkerchief in the hair, and only she was a tourist. I do not want that they turn for obligation into Basques, but I think that it would be good that they try to learn the language and to know some customs.

I hope that my evil English, does not make look like to me a racist. I am not, I it cannot be, my heart me it prevents. I providing that I have travelled, have never had problems. Always I have found people who has helped me.
    Really, the only problems that I has been with absurd commentaries with people of the Spanish State, which they have the square head, and they think that all the Basques are terrorist... It is hard to go with a car to another city, and that the police give birth in the highway or prohiban to the entry in the parking of a mall. But in England, The United States, Ireland... I have never had any problem, everything opposite. And since they me have treated me very well, I try to do the same thing with the people who comes here than like worker or tourist. Only I think that here, where I live, should put his granite of sand to try to join.

Quote Originally Posted by marie View Post
    I hope that my evil English, does not make look like to me a racist. I am not, I it cannot be, my heart me it prevents. I providing that I have travelled, have never had problems. Always I have found people who has helped me.
    Marie, you speak and write the English language very well indeed. It is far, far better than my attempts at Euskara the Basque language.
    Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

Quote Originally Posted by marie View Post
    Really, the only problems that I has been with absurd commentaries with people of the Spanish State, which they have the square head, and they think that all the Basques are terrorist... It is hard to go with a car to another city, and that the police give birth in the highway or prohiban to the entry in the parking of a mall. But in England, The United States, Ireland... I have never had any problem, everything opposite. And since they me have treated me very well, I try to do the same thing with the people who comes here than like worker or tourist. Only I think that here, where I live, should put his granite of sand to try to join.
    The Basque people are a fine people and saying that they are all terrrorists is like saying all Irish or muslims are terrorists. I have been to Barcelona just the once and it was a most beautiful city and is a place I would one day like to visit again - as long as I can overturn the banning order that prevents me living this country at the moment!!

Currently Ignoring:
    The Door Bell
    The voices in my head

snoochie boochie

One of the poor things snuffed it in underworld after doin 2 shifts!
    Rank!
    Baldwin must be turning in his grave.

Default Polish Communities & WW2

In talking about the Polish Communities, it's as well to remember we went to war with Germany in 1939 in defence of the Poles. The photo is of a plaque at Lymm in Cheshire. Its text is worth remembering.

In many ways, the arrival of all the Poles in Liverpool and elsewhere is simply the direct result of those events started in September 1939.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lymm Polish Memorial Plaque103.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	192.0 KB 
ID:	2339  

the Polish food store on Derby Lane appears to have closed, but a Polish Advice Centre has opened on Picton Road.

Default Polish Advice Centre Wavertree

Quote Originally Posted by SteH View Post
    the Polish food store on Derby Lane appears to have closed, but a Polish Advice Centre has opened on Picton Road.
    Photo of Polish Advice centre on High St below

Name:	Wavertree  High St Polish Advice Centre107.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	2588  

Default More Poles

Spotted this bus parked at the Pierhead

Name:	Polish Bus Pierhead  Liverpool.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	2783  

MariaC

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    Spotted this bus parked at the Pierhead
    They give me a sign to read like that when I had to go for my glasses to the opicians. he he he

'Poland' grafitti, Scotland Road subway.

Name:	Poland.jpg 
Views:	265 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	2839  

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast