Thread: Rock Ferry

Default Rock Ferry

Rock Ferry`s old pier

From Rock Ferry`s esplanade

Under the old rusty pier

The old cobbled slipway, the large slabs would be used for wheeled traffic ,liverpools old streets used the same slabs in their gutters
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Blog Entries

Great Joe. Isn't that the Tranmere Oil Terminal? I thought the old pier at Rock Ferry went years ago.

Thats the terminal you can see under the pier Pablo, there was a report in the Echo that some people are thinking of building a marina in this vicinity costing ?10,000,000
    Last edited by gregs dad; 09-24-2009 at 08:29 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gregs dad View Post
    Thats the terminal you can see under the pier Pablo, there was a report in the Echo that some people are thinking of building a marina in this vicinity costing ?10,000,000
    I think there's a small marina further down. I think there used to be a boating club there. Dunno about a ?10,000,000 marina, sounds like more pie in the sky stuff. Heard of some geat schemes in Wirral, only to see them disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by gregs dad View Post
    The Echo report even suggested that the ferries might be able to call at the Pier - they would have to put the landing stage back for that to make it possible. All rather unlikely.

The final ferry sailing operated by Birkenhead Ferries (It wasn't Mersey Ferries then) using the UPTON departed Rock Ferry for Liverpool on 30th June 1939.

According to TB Maund's excellent Mersey Ferries Vol 1 - the war probably saved the Rock Ferry Pier and landing stage from demolition. The stage was used for landing purposes from private small craft etc after the war.

The pier was sold to Cammell Laird inititially to facilitate the establishment of the tanker cleaning berth.

The Landing Stage was removed in 1957 and broken up on the nearby beach.

John

Blog Entries

Excellent pics Joe
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pablo42 View Post
    I think there's a small marina further down. I think there used to be a boating club there. Dunno about a ?10,000,000 marina, sounds like more pie in the sky stuff. Heard of some geat schemes in Wirral, only to see them disappear.
    They could open up the river locks on Morpeth and Egerton Docks for a Marina. You don't want little boats amongst the large bulk carriers in the Alfred Lock.

The two docks are perfect for a Marina and they could open up Egerton Dock to the West Float again.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by irishseashipping.com View Post
    The Echo report even suggested that the ferries might be able to call at the Pier - they would have to put the landing stage back for that to make it possible. All rather unlikely.

The final ferry sailing operated by Birkenhead Ferries (It wasn't Mersey Ferries then) using the UPTON departed Rock Ferry for Liverpool on 30th June 1939.

According to TB Maund's excellent Mersey Ferries Vol 1 - the war probably saved the Rock Ferry Pier and landing stage from demolition. The stage was used for landing purposes from private small craft etc after the war.

The pier was sold to Cammell Laird inititially to facilitate the establishment of the tanker cleaning berth.

The Landing Stage was removed in 1957 and broken up on the nearby beach.

John
    Wasn't there a ferry service to a Pier in the river at Toxteth Dock at one time?
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    They could open up the river locks on Morpeth and Egerton Docks for a Marina. You don't want little boats amongst the large bulk carriers in the Alfred Lock.

The two docks are perfect for a Marina and they could open up Egerton Dock to the West Float again.
    I always wonder why they sealed off the Morpeth Dock from the rest of the Birkenhead Dock system but then went to the trouble of restoring the Egerton Bridge as a museum piece, but then failed to maintain it.

I don't think that reopening Morpeth Lock would be a good idea. I have never found the exact date that the use of this lock stopped, but I understand it was in the 1940s.

I know by the late 1960s that concrete dam was in place which still stands today, though back then and until the Birkenhead docks were landscaped around 1990 there was water on both sides.

Perhaps the better idea would be to reopen the smaller lock at Alfred for pleasure craft?

John

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    Wasn't there a ferry service to a Pier in the river at Toxteth Dock at one time?
    There was to the Garden Festival site but that was tidal, though there was one referred to in 1820 operated by Joseph White. In 1837 a Sunday service was operated across to the Herculaneum Pottery.

There was also a "South End" landing stage Maund doesn't record when the service to this stage actually finished - though stage and bridge is being recorded as having been sold to Wallasey Corporation in 1876.

John

Small boats grave yard at Rock Ferry

The Rock Ferry esplanade with its fine mansions, I walked along to the end

The esplanade,badly in need of restoration,has been for years now. There is a notice at the end on a fence and has been there for years becoming unreadable which states the walk is unsafe,but if you walk along from the pier there is no notice,so you find out after you have walked it.

The rear of one of the mansions on the esplanade

the neglected walk,good sandstone walls on the mansions

The view from the end of the esplanade

Hey guys I went and had an explore of this pier on sat, It is major disrepair I cant see it lasting very long. most of the supports are rotted right through and the huts on the end are all fire damaged and being blown apart by the wind.

The cranes lower legs are in good condition but as soon as you get to the cabin level the main walkways are all rotted with holes right through. only 2 control columns are left and the two peddles for maneuvering. I dared not walk on the rotting wooden sleepers so stuck to a metal pipe that hangs out the right hand side of the pier. Looking at it I cant belive it is still even standing.

anyway I took some HD footage to preserve the memory during and Urbex.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8YrLrmyKSg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlnzyWthWdU