Thread: Great Howard Street Station/Old Nothern Hospital

www.oldliverpoolrailways. oritelad's Avatar

Default Great Howard Street Station/Old Nothern Hospital

hi can anyone help with the site of the Great Howard Street Station/Old Nothern Hospital any photos at all?

also does anyone know was this the firsst staion before exchange when was it opened and closed? also was there a station before exchange and after great howard street called titbarne station? i did see a very rare photo of it and i managed to get a copy does anyone have any info at all that can help
    http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...t/Image548.jpg

thanks

ps. does anyone have a real photo not drawing or painting of the worlds first passanger station crown street station?? 1929? not sure when it was closed and demolished but there does not seen to be any photo of the original station just a few of the site in the 1970s when it was used as a yard but the original station is nowhere in site long gone in them images and the site now is just grass http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s...rown%20Street/
    Last edited by oritelad; 09-02-2009 at 01:43 AM.

The first station (1848) was called Great Howard st by the East lancs railway, or Borough Gaol by the lancashire & yorkshire (they didn't get on). then came Tithebarn st or Exchange sta (1850 ,same reason) Then rebuilt by the L&Y after taking over the ELR & called Exchange (1888 ?) Leccy trains starting in 1904.
    In over 20 years of collecting i have not seen any photos of crown st 1830
    These things take time, Rome wasn't built in a day you know.
    Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/merseywail/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by merseywail View Post
    The first station (1848) was called Great Howard st by the East lancs railway, or Borough Gaol by the lancashire & yorkshire (they didn't get on). then came Tithebarn st or Exchange sta (1850 ,same reason) Then rebuilt by the L&Y after taking over the ELR & called Exchange (1888 ?) Leccy trains starting in 1904.
    In over 20 years of collecting i have not seen any photos of crown st 1830
    I don't quite get what you were on about there. I understand that Gt Howard St station (over the portal of the Waterloo Tunnel), was the the terminus of the line from the north. The line was extended to Exchange and the station was closed down. Is that right?

I think the jail was originally built to house French Napoleonic prisoners of war, who "assisted" in building the dock walls.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

The first station was joint operated, (ELR, L&Y) . Both company's called the first station by different names just to be different. That station was only temporary, replaced by Exchange.. Just to confuse things the L&Y line was originally owned by the Liverpool & Bury rly. Early railway history is full of takeovers, infighting, poor management, & lousy safety, (just like today's). The L&Y being one of the worst run railways at first.
    These things take time, Rome wasn't built in a day you know.
    Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/merseywail/

www.oldliverpoolrailways. oritelad's Avatar

the is still no images of the first two stations great howard st or titbarne st only exchange such a shame i did hear there is an image of the second station under st georges hall also in ma boyels oyster house pub by st nic church by pier head but that might of been lost years ago when the pub had new owners

There's a photo taken in 1964 by A.Clayton on the Liverpool Exchange section of Nick Catfords Disused Stations site. It seems to have been taken from atop the building that was Littlewoods and looks down at the approach lines to Exchange and shows the Great Howard St goods yard

Quote Originally Posted by oritelad View Post
    hi can anyone help with the site of the Great Howard Street Station/Old Nothern Hospital any photos at all?

also does anyone know was this the firsst staion before exchange when was it opened and closed? also was there a station before exchange and after great howard street called titbarne station? i did see a very rare photo of it and i managed to get a copy does anyone have any info at all that can help
    http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...t/Image548.jpg

thanks

ps. does anyone have a real photo not drawing or painting of the worlds first passanger station crown street station?? 1929? not sure when it was closed and demolished but there does not seen to be any photo of the original station just a few of the site in the 1970s when it was used as a yard but the original station is nowhere in site long gone in them images and the site now is just grass http://s153.photobucket.com/albums/s...rown%20Street/
    There is, a picture I've seen of Crown st,probably a Herdman print,and also,the only pic's of the prison! But where,I'm not sure? Try looking under "Herdman"!

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    There is, a picture I've seen of Crown st,probably a Herdman print,and also,the only pic's of the prison! But where,I'm not sure? Try looking under "Herdman"!
    Here's a photo of Crown Street goods depot in 1964
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crown Street Goods Station (1964).jpg 
Views:	440 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	11244  

My Great, Great, Grandfather William John Holland lived in Denison Street off Great Howard Street between 1879 and early 1900s. His occupation is listed as Railway Porter (Cotton Loader) on the Census returns so I'm wondering if he worked at Waterloo Station?

Col