Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Williamson Tunnels

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    I think it is on the web site. While under construction they had a carpenters shop for the timbers
    Have to say I've never heard of that one. The only carpenters relation is a carpenters shop that used to stand above a section of the tunnels but this is going back to 1986 when James Stonehouse toured the area.

Gnomie

Cool pics

I visited there a few years back, i was the only one on the tour, so i got the V I P treatment

I loved the way they have done the buildings in the yard, and of course the Horses.

Quote Originally Posted by fortinian View Post
    As with the previous message, I have full permission to post these pictures.

These are of the previously long lost Triple Deck tunnel (I believed Cad knows more about this than me). The tunnel is not open to the public yet but progress is being made as you can see.

Excellent shots! You never know what you'll turf up next down there!

Dave.

Blog Entries

For those of you interested... I've just found out that the regular tunnels Members visits - to the areas not open to the public - are on every weekend in November and this year for the first time the Triple Decker tunnel will be in view!

http://www.williamsontunnels.com/vis..._visits_08.htm

Members only i'm afraid!

I was most disappointed to find that they were not really tunnels at all, but just vaulting over existing excavations. At least the tunnels built by George Senior in Doncaster were excavated tunnels. I believe there was something similar in Stockport?

Quote Originally Posted by danensis View Post
    I was most disappointed to find that they were not really tunnels at all, but just vaulting over existing excavations. At least the tunnels built by George Senior in Doncaster were excavated tunnels. I believe there was something similar in Stockport?
    You are correct in saying that some of the locations are exisiting quarry produce and that Williamson altered them with a cut and cover method, but this would apply to about 10% of what we have found so far.

Certainly, the main hall under the House and the Paddington area have been picked out of the solid rock. There are many instances where tunnels have been created from brickwork only - Paddington once again is an excellent example. I can only really think of the Heritage Centre that shows the quarry example, certainly not anything else that has been found so far.

Blog Entries

PEOPLE have only a few days left to visit Liverpool?s Williamson Tunnels while they are decorated for Christmas. Read
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

Did anyone see the Big Picture in the Echo a few weeks back? A rather pretty shot of the new tunnels me thought.

Blog Entries

Default Williamson Tunnels and the Railway

I was unsure where to post this, so I will do a parallel post in the Old Railway Tunnels thread.

Following from what has been said on this site, I was speaking to a researcher at the Williamson Tunnels and she mentioned that they had copies of documents relating to Williamson and the Railways. I know there are lots of people on here facinated by Joseph Williamson and even more who are facinated by Liverpools railways so I asked to see copies. She sent me these two, I asked permission to use them here so here they are.

This is apparently from George (or Robert?) Stephensons master plan for the Edge Hill Cutting. What this does show is that the map has been amended with pencil marks saying 'Mr Williamson' where there is supposedley a tunnel.

She also told me that they had found letters written by William MacKenzie (he of pyramid fame) to Joseph Williamson asking for permission to dig though his land as well as pay records showing that people were payed by the LMR company to 'excavate Williamsons tunnel'!

Thanks to the Senior Researcher (Sian) at the Williamson Tunnels for this; when I mentioned that there would be some train buffs interested in this she allowed me to post her e-mail which is jwresearch@hotmail.co.uk she said she'd be more than happy for any correspondence.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JWS 0134.P 2008.JPG 
Views:	232 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	10162   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JWS 0142.P 2008.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	406.3 KB 
ID:	10163  

It's true and been known about for years. It is well documented in the 1846 manuscript of James Stonehouse and also spoken about in Charles Hand's visit in 1926.

Basically, part of Williamson's tunnels were a triple decker section which ran from (now) Elm Grove to Grinfield Street. I've personally been in this section at the top level a few years ago.

Stephenson came along and wanted the railway to go through Williamson's land (he owned everything from the Magnet's warehouse on Mason Street, along Mason Street, down Grinfield Street, down Smithdown Lane and up the walk way next to Magnet's again) so he went through the tunnels and Williamson then built a tunnel under the present day cutting - which has long been forgotten about. The only detail to be found now is the tunnel used for Ramsbottom's Chimney, (demolished in the 60's) where you can still see the archway from any train should you know where to look.

Blog Entries

Yes Cad, but surely Hand and Stonehouse are secondary sources... this appears to be a primary source and actually backs up what H & S say.

I'm familiar with Hand and Stonehouse's writings on the tunnels, I seem to recall that Hand wasn't very imressed with Stonehouses work and set out to correct him on many issues. But Hand himself lacked immediate knowledge... so they were both a bit stuck.

Love that area, great info. Wasn't Ramsbottom's chimney still up in 1970 though Cad, there's a pic of it on someones flickr with a later Archbishop Blanch aerial view with it gone? Had a look through the Pearsons book in Waterstones last sat, saw your name there as one of the subscribers.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fortinian View Post
    I was unsure where to post this, so I will do a parallel post in the Old Railway Tunnels thread.

Following from what has been said on this site, I was speaking to a researcher at the Williamson Tunnels and she mentioned that they had copies of documents relating to Williamson and the Railways. I know there are lots of people on here facinated by Joseph Williamson and even more who are facinated by Liverpools railways so I asked to see copies. She sent me these two, I asked permission to use them here so here they are.

This is apparently from George (or Robert?) Stephensons master plan for the Edge Hill Cutting. What this does show is that the map has been amended with pencil marks saying 'Mr Williamson' where there is supposedley a tunnel.

She also told me that they had found letters written by William MacKenzie (he of pyramid fame) to Joseph Williamson asking for permission to dig though his land as well as pay records showing that people were payed by the LMR company to 'excavate Williamsons tunnel'!

Thanks to the Senior Researcher (Sian) at the Williamson Tunnels for this; when I mentioned that there would be some train buffs interested in this she allowed me to post her e-mail which is jwresearch@hotmail.co.uk she said she'd be more than happy for any correspondence.
    Some nice original drawings of the Edge Hill cuttings, to put here would be nice:
    http://www.liverpoolwiki.org/Liverpo...c_Rail_Tunnels
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Love that area, great info. Wasn't Ramsbottom's chimney still up in 1970 though Cad, there's a pic of it on someones flickr with a later Archbishop Blanch aerial view with it gone? Had a look through the Pearsons book in Waterstones last sat, saw your name there as one of the subscribers.
    Look at this thread:

Ramsbottom's Chimney
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK