Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aigburth District

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Aigburth District

Does anyone here live in Aigburth or know anyone who does? If so, what do you (Or they) think of the area?

Someone at my temp job suggested it as a good neighbourhood with somewhat afforable house pricing. Is this correct?

Aigburth Vales the nicest part of it.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Aigburth Vale is awful, there's more yobs around there than anywhere else.

Try anywhere around the Cricket Club, that's ok. I remember seeing new housing estates being put up down that road by the Cricket club. Aigburth's quite nice. It's no Allerton but it's nice.

Default Re Aigburth!

Have a walk down Lark Lane, Julia, Nice Area! and look down Hadassah Grove, check out the Lark Lane Web Site, and also handy for Sefton Park! Good Hunting!

Blog Entries

South of Aigburth Vale - fine and dandy. Town end of Eggy Vale isn't brilliant and deteriorates as it reaches bottom of Park Rd. Popular with students that end.

Lark Lane is a wonderful area - a jewel in Liverpool's crown.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

I quite like being round there, And to be honest, I would call the Park Road area Dingle rather than Aigburth!

It is pleasant though and is very leafy; There is also a variation of side street housing too. Some are lengthy terraces (with a view of North Wales sometimes) and others are very leafy streets with large villa housing. The bad thing about that area is that the nearest Sayers is more or less in Dingle as it is round by Park Road. Eggy Vale has a good selection of shops and buses to the city, the airport and to Bootle via Queens Drive. So it is well placed for commuting.

The suburb was featured in "Watching" if anyone recalls. Malcolm and Brenda moved into a house which was owned by Bernard and Malcolms Aunt. Brenda found it to be very boreing. Something I don't know about!

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    South of Aigburth Vale - fine and dandy. Town end of Eggy Vale isn't brilliant and deteriorates as it reaches bottom of Park Rd. Popular with students that end.

Lark Lane is a wonderful area - a jewel in Liverpool's crown.
    Oh dear!
    I live at the bottom of Park Road.
    No students near me, just new property, renovated property, and Victorian terraces opposite the Ancient Chapel.

However, there are plenty of students at the beginning of the Aigburth Road/Ullet Road area.
    Last edited by PhilipG; 01-30-2007 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Oh dear!
    I live at the bottom of Park Road.
    No students near me, just new property, renovated property, and Victorian terraces opposite the Ancient Chapel.

However, there are plenty of students at the beginning of the Aigburth Road/Ullet Road area.
    Students= Pure Evil.

Especially when they wake my Sister up with their music at night.

Landlords won't rent to anyone else.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

I moved to Aigburth Vale just over a year ago from Waterloo.

Since moving here my car has been vandalised twice. My girlfriend's 3 times, and my mate's car is pretty much constantly kicked and run over.

New Year's Day; two new windscreens for my girl and mate, after they were kicked in.

Don't know why it's like it is here, it looks so nice, is leafy, parks abound.

However Aigburth as a whole, I have been told, is fine...

Lark Lane is ok, like a poor man's Camden I think.

Quote Originally Posted by johnmed View Post
    I moved to Aigburth Vale just over a year ago from Waterloo.

Since moving here my car has been vandalised twice. My girlfriend's 3 times, and my mate's car is pretty much constantly kicked and run over.

New Year's Day; two new windscreens for my girl and mate, after they were kicked in.

Don't know why it's like it is here, it looks so nice, is leafy, parks abound.

However Aigburth as a whole, I have been told, is fine...

Lark Lane is ok, like a poor man's Camden I think.

Which part of Camden is Lark Lane like? I might be wrong mate but something tells me that you don't know Lark Lane or Camden all that well!

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
    [/B]

Which part of Camden is Lark Lane like? I might be wrong mate but something tells me that you don't know Lark Lane or Camden all that well!

My sister lived in Camden a while back, and i visited quite a lot. I think Lark Ln has a similar alternative/rustic/unwashed feel to it.

I live a 5-10 minute walk from Lark Ln too, we go there frequently; Maranto's is great for steak!

Quote Originally Posted by johnmed View Post

My sister lived in Camden a while back, and i visited quite a lot. I think Lark Ln has a similar alternative/rustic/unwashed feel to it.

I live a 5-10 minute walk from Lark Ln too, we go there frequently; Maranto's is great for steak!
    Thanks for that. Have you tried Que Pasa Cantina? Much better than Maranto's for food/atmosphere/music. I always associate Marantos with somewhere you take the entire extended family but in the end, as always, it's down to personal taste.

Anyway, the reason I queried Camden was because the borough is so large, containing places like Camden Town, Belsize Park, Hampstead, all very different. Because of the term 'alternative' I'm assuming you mean Camden Town. I'm now sifting through the main streets in my mind: Camden High Street, Parkway, Camden Road, Chalk Farm Road etc and none of them stikes me as being like Lark Lane.

Not sure I see Lark Lane as 'unwashed'! You do see a few unwashed people hanging about but less so now than a few years ago. The Camden Roads I mentioned above are heaving with London life and traffic (by comparison, Lark Lane is like a village High Street!). Poverty is much more apparent in Camden Town, too. Not many people are pushing the Big Issue on Lark Lane. I guess I didn't get the idea of a 'poor man's Camden' when overall people seem poorer in Camden Town than they do in the area around Lark Lane. A poor man's Hampstead - that works. Maybe that was the part of Camden you were getting at in the first place?

Default Lark Lane Sefton Park

This is a delightfully attractive area and well worth exploring for those who don't know it. I've always been puzzled as to how on earth it came to be classed as being in Aigburth when patently is never has been. Is it simply because Aigburth Rd is nearby? I've come to the conclusion it probably dates back to the time when the trams only went as far as Aigburth Vale but were labelled as travelling to Aigburth. Aigburth of course being a district of Garston township whose boundary was at Aigburth Vale.

With the development of Sefton Park in the 1870s, the naming of half the ring road as Aigburth Drive also probably added to the confusion. The building of Sefton Park led to the whole area, a subset of Toxteth Park, being called Sefton Park though Liverpool street directories still called the area Toxteth Park well into the mid 20th C. The naming of the area Sefton Park led to the new library built on Aigburth Rd being called Sefton Park library rather than say Aigburth Library as one might expect if the correct name for the area were Aigburth.

Later the local council wards were named after Sefton Park. These wards largely followed the Toxteth Park boundaries. Thus the dales streets area between Smithdown Road and Garmoyle Rd L15 in what many now call Wavertree was actually called Sefton Park simply because it was in the Sefton Park ward, a part of Toxteth Park.

One of the best guides to correct district names are Church of England Parish names as these have a legal status which can only be changed by Act of Parliament. So they tend to be correct !! Thus Christ Church Linnet Lane off Lark Lane L17 proudly states it's in Toxteth Park and not Aigburth. Similarly for St Agnes on nearby Ullet Rd L17 and the now demolished St Andrew on Normanton Rd L17 anhd quite close to Lark Lane

Any one have any other thought on this one?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Christchurch Linnet lane 2005 l Gospel eaflet.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	1402   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Christchurch Linnet Lane Toxteth Park Liverpool.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	134.3 KB 
ID:	1403  

I wouldn't read too much into parish statutes! The catholic archdiocese of Liverpool contains Lanchashire, Cheshire and Greater Manchester within it. I guess we could argue that those places are spiritually a provence if Liverpool! (JOKE). Often in an attempt to curry legitimacy the church anchors itself in a pre-existing entity whether its Toxteth Park or Christmas (Yule). This doesn't mean that 'Toxteth Park' has any meaning beyond church affairs.

In the case of the area between Dingle Lane and Aigburth Vale, if local people don't say they live in Aigburth (or St Michaels, Fulwood Park, Sefton Park, Lark Lane area) they will say that they live in L17. There is no allegiance whatsoever to Toxteth or Toxteth Park. Many people know that Sefton Park is on the site of the area covered by Toxteth Park but the park is always referred to as Sefton Park! Toxteth Park was in no way a 'park' as we understand it!

Apart from benign neglect until recently by LCC, I think that part of the reason for this confusion is because there isn't really an academically rigorous history of Liverpool textbook (or series of textbooks). All the history books I have read have either been written by amateurs or published by the LEA in the form of a list of dates with a little bit of added information. The current '800th Birthday Book' is very much 'history to go' rather than rigorous in its analysis of how a city came into being and how it managed the tensions within and outside it.

The amateur historians make a great contribution and I value it. The downside for me is that, for example in terms of twentieth century history, the tendency is to over sentimentalise events or changes in the city. If that is reigned in, the danger then is often one of an over-reliance on anecdotalism, or a history that is the product of other history books rather than a critical analysis of source documents. Often the focus is on what happened without much of an analysis of why it happened. Currently it seems to me that there is a tendency to present the story of the north end of the city as if it reflected the city as a whole. It doesn't. For example, and just for argument's sake, if South Liverpool were detached from the rest of Liverpool, it would function as an average similar sized locality within England,with similar levels of deprivation. Once North Liverpool is added on the city shoots up towards the top of the list of most deprived English cities. The differences between the two halves (an over-simplification) of the city isn't reflected in recent history books. Anyway that's another story!
    Last edited by Jericho; 02-09-2007 at 10:12 AM.

Default Will the real Aigburth reveal itself

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho View Post

In the case of the area between Dingle Lane and Aigburth Vale, if local people don't say they live in Aigburth (or St Michaels, Fulwood Park, Sefton Park, Lark Lane area) they will say that they live in L17. There is no allegiance whatsoever to Toxteth or Toxteth Park. Many people know that Sefton Park is on the site of the area covered by Toxteth Park but the park is always referred to as Sefton Park! Toxteth Park was in no way a 'park' as we understand it!

I still don't really understand how the St Michael's/ Lark Lane area came to be classed as Aigburth when patently it never has been which was the main point of my query. Estate agents of course class all of L17 as Aigburth these days including Greenbank Drive by Smithdown Rd, I noticed recently. Some one of the list suggested the locals call the St Michael's/ Lark Lane area Aigburth out of snobbery but it must be more than that. How did a major place name error become common place amongst the population. I suugested simply it became associated as Aigburth simply by the old signs on the trams. There may be another explanation.

I attach an interesting road sign showing Aigburth as being 2 1/4 miles ( correctly) from the junction of Sefton park Rd with Ullet Rd. This of course takes you to roughly Jericho Lane/ Ashfield Rd which is the correct start of the real Aigburth which was of course a district within the Garston township
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sefton Park entrance Lodge Liverpool 8 003.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	168.4 KB 
ID:	1404  

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast