Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Aigburth District

I saw the article in the Guardian about L17 (Aigburth). It made me aware of how you have to take this kind of article with a pinch of salt. Dyckhoff clearly has to pull something together and doesn't know to sort out the wheat from the chaff. Gold spoons my arse! The whole of Sefton Park is in L17. It's not a separate, independent area. Although he mentioned two schools in Aigburth south of Aigburth Vale and one school that isn't even in L17, the article was really about Aigburth north of it. I liked the bit about 'edge'. This is true, and there are parts of L17 that are not quite 'up and come' as he put it. The house prices he gave for the area are inaccurate if you are talking about the whole of L17 and not just terraced properties or flats in the Sefton Park/Lark Lane area. No mention of Otterspool park or prom. Having said all this it was a positive piece and certainly captured the spirit of L17.

Default Aigburth again

Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    Some interesting views on the area by Tom Dyckhoff. I'm not sure I entirely agree with him when he talks about Aigburth riding on the coat tails of Sefton Park and Mossley Hill. Half of Sefton Park is in Aigburth! Also, Aigburth Vale (where I live) was historically at least, just as wealthy as Mossley Hill. Check out the number of large villas there were here on the early 1900's OS maps...

Of course those very same early 1900s OS maps show Sefton Park and the surrounding area to actually be in dear old much maligned Toxteth

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    Of course those very same early 1900s OS maps show Sefton Park and the surrounding area to actually be in dear old much maligned Toxteth
    Or perhaps Toxteth Park? As the city expanded and Toxteth Park for whatever reason (outside protestant ecclesiastical circles) bit the dust as a term for a recently incorporated township, 'Toxteth' became the name for an area that is now part of L8. I have seen maps showing Toxteth Park covering tracts of L17 but not 'Toxteth' on its own. There probably are some.

Default Toxteth or Toxteth Park

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
    Or perhaps Toxteth Park? As the city expanded and Toxteth Park for whatever reason (outside protestant ecclesiastical circles) bit the dust as a term for a recently incorporated township, 'Toxteth' became the name for an area that is now part of L8. I have seen maps showing Toxteth Park covering tracts of L17 but not 'Toxteth' on its own. There probably are some.
    See Gore's Liverpool Directory 1894:

"An infectious diseases hospital, erected on land belonging to the Mersey Docks and Habours Board, at Park hill, Dingle, Toxteth park, was opened September 23rd 1884, and is available for 160 patients, 4 wards having been added in 1890; during 1892 439 patients were admitted : the hospital is under the management of the Hospitals committee of Liverpool."

Default Even later use of the term Toxteth Park

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
    London Gazette 1972

SCOTT, Evelyn Maud ...
    Top Flat, 2 Devonshire Road, Toxteth Park, Liverpool 8.
    17th February 1972.
    Bell & Joynson, 6 Castle Street, Liverpool L2 , Solicitors. (Henry Arthur Fry) ...
    19th June 1972

From a postcard I just bought on ebay:

Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

Default hello all !

very good

Hi Jericho
    wondered if you could elaborate on the comment of the hidden and lost orchard at the bottom of Mersey Road,all the best,loudon

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
    From a postcard I just bought on ebay:

That looks an old one. What's the front picture of?

Dave.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789