Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Origin of the Name "Old Swan"

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    I passed it today.

I'd be surprised if this were a gate house. It's actually a pair of early Victorian semi-detached houses.

I've added more some pics to this thread:

http://www.yoliverpool.com/forum/sho...340#post177340

I lived in Old Swan in the 1950/60s. The house was called Swan Hill Villa. It was situated between Elms House and Swan Hill Farm. (Rathbone Road on the corner of Borax Street). It was owned by the Scragg Tripe family. The Tripe factory was behind the house in Borax Street. The house was very old and very damp. It has since been demolished and modern flats built there.
    Would be interesting to know when it was built and who originally lived there.

Liverpool New Yorker! Ronijayne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    Hi Roni,I'm surprised you dont remember St. Oswald Gardens,so,about what period did you live there,as I guess the flats went up in the 30's? Here's a couple of pic's,before,and after they were built!(I've been told by a guy in the pet shop,in Prescott rd,that there's been a shortage of worms,in the Swan,for many years!) Steve.

courtesy of L.R.O.
    So sorry about the worms They all had good Christian burials though!!! Crosses and all, in little neat rows!

It was my Grandparents who lived in Baden Road. They lived there until their deaths in the late 70's (I think that is when they died, him a year or so after her) My mother grew up there. I would be playing there in the 50's. When we visited we stayed mainly in Baden Road and a few streets either side with the friends we made there. I was a very gentle child, now we sound like 'Children of the Corn'!

I grew up in Micawber Street.
    Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronijayne View Post
    So sorry about the worms They all had good Christian burials though!!! Crosses and all, in little neat rows!

It was my Grandparents who lived in Baden Road. They lived there until their deaths in the late 70's (I think that is when they died, him a year or so after her) My mother grew up there. I would be playing there in the 50's. When we visited we stayed mainly in Baden Road and a few streets either side with the friends we made there. I was a very gentle child, now we sound like 'Children of the Corn'!

I grew up in Micawber Street.
    Ha,Ha,so where exactly was the worm cemetery? and you such a little cherub!!!!! Reminds me of what I did to my goldfish,after seeing a book in school,which illustrated were it's heart should be!( I never did find it!)

I never killed the worms, honest guv.! Someone must have though, we could not have found them all dead, could we??? I remember that 'bricky' I will ask my mother.

I remember it as on the corner of Baden Road and opposite a cinema. It had to be close to my Grandparents. There were a group of friends and cousins. All my cousins were blond, must have been them, THEY were the 'Children of the Corn'

I remember my Grandparent's house had holly bushes in the front. My best friend across the street was Vivienne. I have a few photos but you can't see the street really, just the doorway.

Mmmm,
    visions of, row,after row,of worm bodies,awaiting thier funerals! And what's this with 'children of the corn'? (sounds spooky!)

Blog Entries

A worm mass grave in Old Swan? Quick, call the Echo, it's a conspiracy!

Here you go Roni......here's your thread back!

Quote Originally Posted by fortinian View Post
    A worm mass grave in Old Swan? Quick, call the Echo, it's a conspiracy!
    Unmarked graves too,and about 3,500 of them!

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    Mmmm,
    visions of, row,after row,of worm bodies,awaiting thier funerals! And what's this with 'children of the corn'? (sounds spooky!)
    Children of the Corn was a book/movie were lovely children were murderers!

In an epilogue to the story, we are taken into the circle of the children who inhabit the town, who turn out to be a bloody pseudo-Christian cult that worships an evil being that lurks in the corn fields: "He Who Walks Behind the Rows". They believe that they must make sacrifices to the being in the corn in order to make their crops flourish. They also believe that the oldest any of them are allowed to grow is age 18 and on a certain day of the year anyone who has turned 19 years old must walk into the corn fields and give themselves to their god as a self sacrifice. In the clearing, Isaac, a boy who is 'seer', the one who He Who Walks Behind the Rows speaks to through dreams, reveals that He is most displeased with their failure to catch and kill Burt, an act that He completed Himself. He Who Walks Behind the Rows commands that the age limit be lowered from 'nineteen plantings and harvestings to eighteen', and the story ends with the 18-year old children of Gatlin walking into the corn, accepting of their fate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronijayne View Post
    Children of the Corn was a book/movie were lovely children were murderers!

In an epilogue to the story, we are taken into the circle of the children who inhabit the town, who turn out to be a bloody pseudo-Christian cult that worships an evil being that lurks in the corn fields: "He Who Walks Behind the Rows". They believe that they must make sacrifices to the being in the corn in order to make their crops flourish. They also believe that the oldest any of them are allowed to grow is age 18 and on a certain day of the year anyone who has turned 19 years old must walk into the corn fields and give themselves to their god as a self sacrifice. In the clearing, Isaac, a boy who is 'seer', the one who He Who Walks Behind the Rows speaks to through dreams, reveals that He is most displeased with their failure to catch and kill Burt, an act that He completed Himself. He Who Walks Behind the Rows commands that the age limit be lowered from 'nineteen plantings and harvestings to eighteen', and the story ends with the 18-year old children of Gatlin walking into the corn, accepting of their fate.
    Aahh! now I see the connection!

But, in reality we were sweet kids playing. I don't know how those worms died. Or, if they were dead. I only remember the matchboxes and crosses!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123