Thread: St. Michaels Manor & Mount

Default St. Michaels Manor & Mount

Hi Folks,
    Anyone know any history about St. Michaels Manor & Mount on the corner of Springwood Ave/Woolton Road. Was that even it's original name. Can't find anything on google. I drive past it every day to work and it justs looks out of place somehow. Who was it built for and how far did its bounderies stretch. Its now a nursing home, but was obviously a merchants house or the like. It now has very little grounds but I'm guessing the playing field in fornt of the house formed part of its land at least as it is surrounded by the grounds of Allerton Towers-ish, Allerton Hall, the house whos grounds are now Allerton golf course and possible Allerton Priory.
    Just curious.

Regards
    Sim

Default Springwood, Allerton

Quote Originally Posted by simliv View Post
    Hi Folks,
    Anyone know any history about St. Michaels Manor & Mount on the corner of Springwood Ave/Woolton Road. Was that even it's original name. Can't find anything on google. I drive past it every day to work and it justs looks out of place somehow. Who was it built for and how far did its bounderies stretch. Its now a nursing home, but was obviously a merchants house or the like. It now has very little grounds but I'm guessing the playing field in fornt of the house formed part of its land at least as it is surrounded by the grounds of Allerton Towers-ish, Allerton Hall, the house whos grounds are now Allerton golf course and possible Allerton Priory.
    Just curious.

Regards
    Sim
    I think this is the house that was originally called Springwood. It was built in about 1840 by a Liverpool West India Merchant called William Shand. The house came with a large estate which was bought by Liverpool City Corporation in 1921 for house building (Springwood and Economic Estates). The mansion has had a variety of uses but for converted to a nursing home in 1967.

Maghull Group website has some information:
    http://www.maghull-group.co.uk/beta/...ichaels_manor/

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

During a quick 10 minute scoot around the net when on my lunch I found numerous mentions of William Shand and Springwood House.

Here's a quote from a Liverpool street name site
    Springwood Avenue
    The name derives from Springwood House, built by William Shand, an owner of plantations in the West Indies, who called it after his Antigua home. The drawing room and library were said to have been copies of rooms in Windsor castle.

The Maghull Group web site says it was built by Sir Thomas Brocklebank but then I found this:-
    Springwood
    Built by William Shand, a West India merchant. Named after his estate in Jamaica. While being built he sold it to Sir Thomas Brocklebank, ship owner.

Regards
    Sim

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    I think this is the house that was originally called Springwood. It was built in about 1840 by a Liverpool West India Merchant called William Shand. The house came with a large estate which was bought by Liverpool City Corporation in 1921 for house building (Springwood and Economic Estates). The mansion has had a variety of uses but for converted to a nursing home in 1967.
    Quite right Taffy! We always knew it as Springwood Gardens! A aunt of mine was in the nursing home there until her sad demise a few years ago. My wifes old home in Ravenna Road is just around the side towasrds Heath Rd.

Blog Entries

As a kid, we used to sing regularly at the home for the old people at Christmas, around the piano.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate