Thread: Whitefield Terrace

Default Whitefield Terrace

Hi,

Does anyone have any photos of Whitefield Terrace in Everton, (now - like much else) demolished. It had a pub at the end called The Cottage, and a little corner shop run by Captain and Mrs Marks.

Does anyone remember the Jenkins family of No 17 Whitefield Terrace?

It's very hard to get your bearings there now as it was razed - one thing that really interests me is this - why was Everton razed to the extent it was? I've seen some really depressing pics of the land flattened, but what was behind it as many of those houses were fine - what was behind such an extensive destruction?
    Ditto with the shops that used to run along West Derby Rd - they left the furniture shop but knocked down everything else - why? I'd really love to hear from anyone who lived around there at that time as I was just a child at the time.
    Does anyone remember the shop Wallys which was on West Derby Road?

Gwen

Not sure if I've got any of Whitefield Terrace Gwen but i'll look, I may have one of the cottage pub though.

Everton has contained such an array of housing over the decades, even centuries from fine merchant houses and ship owners mansions so they could overlook their shipping coming into the Mersey The slum courts which finally encroached upon them making the rich flee to Toxteth and Aigburth and the likes were then replaced with terracing of the likes seen in those streets which sloped away from the ridge high up on Heyworth Street.

Everton also had its fair share of 1930s tenements and then of course the 1950s and 60s High Rise all along Netherfield Road which have now been replaced with low density housing.

In fact Everton is going to be the chosen district in one of the galleries of the new museum of Liverpool such was the diversity of its housing.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwen View Post
    Hi,

Does anyone have any photos of Whitefield Terrace in Everton, (now - like much else) demolished. It had a pub at the end called The Cottage, and a little corner shop run by Captain and Mrs Marks.

Does anyone remember the Jenkins family of No 17 Whitefield Terrace?

It's very hard to get your bearings there now as it was razed - one thing that really interests me is this - why was Everton razed to the extent it was? I've seen some really depressing pics of the land flattened, but what was behind it as many of those houses were fine - what was behind such an extensive destruction?
    Ditto with the shops that used to run along West Derby Rd - they left the furniture shop but knocked down everything else - why? I'd really love to hear from anyone who lived around there at that time as I was just a child at the time.
    Does anyone remember the shop Wallys which was on West Derby Road?

Gwen
    Do you mean "Wally's bargain store", on the corner of ? street,just before lower Breck rd? It closed a couple of years ago,I think.

It would be great to see a pic of The Cottage - I think that was roughly opposite where our house was on Whitefield Terrace.

Re the Wallys I was thinking of, it was a green-grocer on West Derby Road - opposite the Locarno and Grafton area. Of course there is only that furniture shop there left now - quite what they thought they were achieving in knocking down what they did on W Derby Road I don't know because they didn't do anything in its place. I still don't understand how the council could be allowed to wreak such havoc on an area and get away with it...

Default Everton Road Shops 1969/70

Here are Everton Road shops just before demolition.

Quote Originally Posted by Retep View Post
    Here are Everton Road shops just before demolition.
    Doesn't look like much!

Smile

Your right!

How do you upload pics!??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	everton rd shops2.jpg 
Views:	800 
Size:	342.5 KB 
ID:	11024  

Quote Originally Posted by Retep View Post
    Your right!

How do you upload pics!??
    Like you just have retep! That's a great pic', any more?