Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whats a steery?

I try to get one right by the counter, those poor sods do so much walking for me

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

stands for GERIATRIC EDITORIAL DEPARTMENT
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

George

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    I try to get one right by the counter, those poor sods do so much walking for me
    When the guy brought me some photies he threw a pair of gloves on the table,thought he was being funny

Two things on goeys'. (Whats the plural? )

They'd always tip over if you tried to get around a corner too quickly.

You'd always get about 4 kids on one, until one poor kid would join in and the rear wheels would buckle, obviously, the buckling would be that last kid's fault!

I wonder if the reason you never see them anymore is because theres just not as many Blue Cross style prams about?

George

Quote Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

I wonder if the reason you never see them anymore is because theres just not as many Blue Cross style prams about?
    Plastic wheels mate,plastic wheels...they just don't look right on a bygone invention.

Then again we could always call it customized ie "Buggy wheels" for low rider steery
    Last edited by George; 05-20-2009 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    When the guy brought me some photies he threw a pair of gloves on the table,thought he was being funny
    As long as they weren't boxing gloves eh?
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Default Steeries

Don't forget the hole , where the nut and bolt went, for steering.
    That hole had to be made with a RED HOT POKER.It took a while.Me dad said it made the wood hard and so it didn't turn into a great big hole. Oh, and drills were too dangerous for us kids. Errrr...
    Good road test, either Beacon lane , or the new tarmac car park in stanley park. It was smooth , then.... late sixties i think.
    Got up some mad speed in the car park, so much that we had to jump off the steerie before it smashed to bits in the railings on Priory road....scabby knees again!

George

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly View Post
    Don't forget the hole , where the nut and bolt went, for steering.
    That hole had to be made with a RED HOT POKER.It took a while.Me dad said it made the wood hard and so it didn't turn into a great big hole. Oh, and drills were too dangerous for us kids. Errrr...
    Good road test, either Beacon lane , or the new tarmac car park in stanley park. It was smooth , then.... late sixties i think.
    Got up some mad speed in the car park, so much that we had to jump off the steerie before it smashed to bits in the railings on Priory road....scabby knees again!
    Pffft" ya wimp,this was the territory for steeries....Havelock Street
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stgeorge1973a.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	11257  

Blog Entries

I lived in Toxteth until I was 10, Mozart Street at the bottom of Lodge Lane, back entries were called Jiggers in the 40's, and we had steery races, the Birrell brothers from Holdens shop on Lodge Lane were ace steery makers. I moved to Garston in 1952, we did'nt have any jiggers in the Tennies, it back alleys or enogs, and being a tenement kid we very rarely got to going in back alleys ,they were all in "enemy" territory . But what about your tyres, did'nt any have an old car tyre that they used to punt with a short stick ? You'd see kids in the street showing their wheels off to other kids, some poor sods only had old bike wheel, no tyres, no spokes ,just a rim really. And then there were the bike frames,no pedals,no brakes, no seat ,no tyres, ,we used to use them like skooters, one foot on the part where there should have been a pedal and the other foot used to propel yourself along. Those streets in Everton were ideal for freewheeling down. A guy I sailed with in the 60's told me he had a bike like I've just described, he got on it in a street by St Georges church and freewheeled downhill toward Great Homer Street. As he gathered speed he put both feet on the frame and shot downhill; it was as he approached the bottom that he realised he had no way of stopping, he crossed Great Homer street to the sound of screams and motor horns. When he came to a halt on the other side of Great Homer Street he dropped the frame and fled. Teddy Woods was his name,he'd be about 70 now,a great character.
    BrianD

George

I think you mean Netherfield road ,Brian? simple reason is to get to Great homer Street you had to crossover Nethy(Busy road) and then go down a street across nethy which brought you out onto Graty, So I suspect it was Nethy were he came to a halt as the streets on the other side of Nethy were zigzagged.

Blog Entries

I think you're right George, its so long ago that it is almost lost in the mists of time. But those Birrell boys, they made steerys that looked like racing cars, they were able to get the best boxes from their own backyard, we would stand in awe as they brought out their new machine. Great days of the Back Entry Diddlers.................anyone remember them?
    BrianD

I made boss steerys. I remember one had rear suspension made out of two bouncy balls and two extra pieces of wood.

It was that good, one of the neighbour bribed me to let him have it for his kid.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Pffft" ya wimp,this was the territory for steeries....Havelock Street
    Used to save Havelock street, for the snow.

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by goldenface View Post
    I made boss steerys. I remember one had rear suspension made out of two bouncy balls and two extra pieces of wood.

It was that good, one of the neighbour bribed me to let him have it for his kid.
    You was posh !!
    Mine was the usual pram wheels with the suspension springs off the pram.
    Did you use reins for steering. We had old rope

Default Chugaboom

from the late 60's to the mid 70's, The Halligans "Chugaboom" took us everywhere It was indestructable !

Here, Steve, Benny and Peter, pose for the camera.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chugaboom.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	284.8 KB 
ID:	11278  
    Started the Old Swan Website:

http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast