Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Welsh community

Default The Welsh of Merseyside

Quote Originally Posted by Pmac View Post
    All very good,but there doesnt seem to be any Welsh community in Liverpool anymore.What happened to them all,did they all go back to Wales?
    For those who have an interest, Prof D Ben Rees, Minister at the Presbyterian Church of Wales, Heathfield Rd, Wavertree has written two excellent books:

The Welsh of Merseyside Vols 1 and 2, published by Modern Welsh Publications of Allerton, Liverpool. Vol 1 published 1997, vol 2 in 2001.

Vol 1 concentrates on 19th C and Vol 2 on the 20th C. The books highlight aspects of the contributions made by various distinguished Welsh people to life on Merseyside and the devlopment of Liverpool.

Thanks. Here's the website.

http://www.welshpublications.co.uk/

Blog Entries

The Welsh had for long come to Merseyside to trade. By the late 18th century permission was given for some church services to be held in Welsh and in 1840 the Eistedfodd was held in Liverpool because there were so many Welsh people living there.

One particular Welshman will be remembered by any Liveprudlian over the age of 25. His name was Owen and his store, Owen & Owens stood in the city centre for many years.

Many of the houses that were built in the hose building boom of the nineteenth century were constructed by Welshmen. Two such builders left their mark on Liverpool in an unusual way. The streets from Spellow Lane in Walton going northwards are Oxton, Winslow, Eton, Neston, Andrew, Nimrod, Dane, Wilburn Ismay, Lind, Lowell, Index, Arnot, Makin, Olney, Weldon, Euston, Nixon. When the first letters of each street are put together they read Owen and William Owen, the names of the two Welsh brothers who built the houses there.

Source: OUR CITY OUR HERITAGE TEACHERS’ NOTES
    Last edited by Kev; 04-14-2007 at 02:03 PM.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default Owen Owen

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    The Welsh had for long come to Merseyside to trade. By the late 18th century permission was given for some church services to be held in Welsh and in 1840 the Eistedfodd was held in Liverpool because there were so many Welsh people living there.

One particular Welshman will be remembered by any Liveprudlian over the age of 25. His name was Owen and his store, Owen & Owens stood in the city centre for many years.

Source: OUR CITY OUR HERITAGE TEACHERS’ NOTES
    The firm has just gone into liquidation and owned Lewis's on Ranelagh St. Prior to the Parker St site in central Liverpool, they operated from London Rd on a site sold by Owen Owens to T J Hughes.

I came back on Sunday from spending a few days in Gwynedd. What I was struck by was the amount of times Liverpool is mentioned on tombstones in remote burial grounds way off the beaten track. Lots of places have a pub called the Liverpool Arms, too. It left me with a strong sense of historical interconnectedness between North Wales and Liverpool that sadly seems to be waning.

For old time's sake I also went to Rhyl. Coming in from Abergele the rusting and deserted fairground was a harbinger of what was to come. The town centre seemed so run down and stuck in another era. On the way back we drove onto Talacre beach and walked past the lighthouse. The weather was sh*te but the atmosphere was fantastic.

I love Rhyl, stayed many a time in b&b's, the Robin Hood and Lyons caravan sites (they're now combined) - they're a bit more Prestatyn though. I think Morecambes gone down the nick since the Frontierland is no more. Rhyl is a good base for visiting Conway, Bets y coed, Llandudno etc too. You still hear the scouse accent there more often than not.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

[QUOTE=Jericho;65449]I came back on Sunday from spending a few days in Gwynedd. What I was struck by was the amount of times Liverpool is mentioned on tombstones in remote burial grounds way off the beaten track. Lots of places have a pub called the Liverpool Arms, too. It left me with a strong sense of historical interconnectedness between North Wales and Liverpool that sadly seems to be waning.

QUOTE]
    One connection which lasted was the shops and the weekly coach trips people from north wales used to make (think it was tuesday of evry other week????????) to Liverpool. Unfortunbately as Liverpool went downhill in the 70's/80's these stopped or became less frequent and Chester and to some extent, Manc took the trade.

This is a huge potential market for Liverpool and the city should make a big effort to publicise the new shopping developments to the North Welsh over the next few years and get the people back using their closest big city. It is a fact that they still come for the theatre and football. Maybe the electrification of the line from Bidston to Wrexham will help. You can get a train directly from LLandudno, through Abergele, Rhyl, Flint, Conaughs(sp?) Quay etc to Manc but not here - sad......

Default Liverpool Capital of Wales

[QUOTE=christy;65603]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
    I came back on Sunday from spending a few days in Gwynedd. What I was struck by was the amount of times Liverpool is mentioned on tombstones in remote burial grounds way off the beaten track. Lots of places have a pub called the Liverpool Arms, too. It left me with a strong sense of historical interconnectedness between North Wales and Liverpool that sadly seems to be waning.

QUOTE]
    One connection which lasted was the shops and the weekly coach trips people from north wales used to make (think it was tuesday of evry other week????????) to Liverpool. Unfortunbately as Liverpool went downhill in the 70's/80's these stopped or became less frequent and Chester and to some extent, Manc took the trade.

This is a huge potential market for Liverpool and the city should make a big effort to publicise the new shopping developments to the North Welsh over the next few years and get the people back using their closest big city. It is a fact that they still come for the theatre and football. Maybe the electrification of the line from Bidston to Wrexham will help. You can get a train directly from LLandudno, through Abergele, Rhyl, Flint, Conaughs(sp?) Quay etc to Manc but not here - sad......

Liverpool of course used to be called the "Capital of Wales" simply due to the number of Welsh people living here. Most came from North Wales. Interestingly the bank of North and South Wales was founded in Liverpool with its headquarters in Castle St. It provided much of the capital to fund the Welsh building companies who constructed much of suburban Liverpool in the 19th and early 20th C. This bank was founded by the Naylor family who had a town house in Rodney St. This then became a bank and is now owned by HSBC Bank succesors to the Bank of North and South Wales in Liverpool. One John Naylor and a director of the Bank of North and South Wales went to live near Welshpool, Montgomeryshire and developed the Leighton Hall Estate. He also retained ownership of Walton Hall which he inherited from the Leyland family. The family seem to have used this as their accomodation when living in Liverpool.

Blog Entries

LIVERPOOL’S Welsh community is planning to celebrate Capital of Culture with an ambitious year-long programme of events.

But organisers are seeking help with funding to put on the Welsh-themed festivities after missing out on a round of culture grants.

A highlight of the year is a major concert at the Philharmonic Hall featuring the Welsh Choral Union and Aled Jones.

The concert on St David’s Day, March 1, will kick off a week of events which will culminate in a grand St David’s dinner at the Adelphi Hotel.

There will also be festivities in June and September involving top Welsh musicians.

Members of the Welsh Patagonian community are also expected to be among those who visit the city to mark the journey of the clipper the Mimosa which carried emigrants from Liverpool to Argentina in 1865.

The Rev Dr D Ben Rees, who is one of the organisers of the year, said: “The links between Liverpool and Wales go back hundreds of years.”

Any individual, business or organisation which would like to get involved or help to fund the events should call 0151-724 1989.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Wormella View Post
    . The tiny remaining Welsh community in Liverpool appears to be a direct corrolation to the hords of people returning to Wales with Hiraeth (Belonging or home sickness)
    Does anybody know, number-wise, what the Welsh community was at its peak?

By 1813, around 10% of Liverpool's residents were Welsh and, at the end of the 19th century, four National Eisteddfodau held in the city.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/3482625.stm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/northeast...iverpool.shtml
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

On a side note it was great to see Wales win on Sunday v Scotland. Their style of rugby is always a joy to watch and the anthem at the Millenium Stadium is always a great spectacle (and sound!)
    It is Accomplished

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
    On a side note it was great to see Wales win on Sunday v Scotland. Their style of rugby is always a joy to watch and the anthem at the Millenium Stadium is always a great spectacle (and sound!)
    Hi Mark, I wish I had heard that anthem, I love it and I am glad Wales won!

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Louise View Post
    Hi Mark, I wish I had heard that anthem, I love it and I am glad Wales won!
    It is an incredible anthem Diane Louise and hearing it live is an unforgettable experience. I was at the Millenium Stadium when it was the Cardiff Arms Park for the Wales v Germany football match in 1991 and the whole ground was shaking with the noise. For the record it was the first time Wales had ever beaten Germany and Ian Rush scored.
    It is Accomplished

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R View Post
    It is an incredible anthem Diane Louise and hearing it live is an unforgettable experience. I was at the Millenium Stadium when it was the Cardiff Arms Park for the Wales v Germany football match in 1991 and the whole ground was shaking with the noise. For the record it was the first time Wales had ever beaten Germany and Ian Rush scored.
    Just for you Mark!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wRRY8eDMSY

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345