Page 7 of 57 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Garston News Views and Discussion

A.D.Williams

I had a wee drive round the area this mid afternoon but could not see much. Best I have a walk around the place in a day or two.

Arrow GARSTON CHURCH OF ENGLAND SCHOOL

The save our School Committee had a final meeting tonight before the BIG meeting with the council officers tomorrow. There are many questions for the council to answer. (Like when the council closed St Mary's Cof E they promised that there would always be a C of E school in the Garston area!!). They tend not to keep promises though, do they? However, they will be reminded tomorrow night. Don't forget to log on and log your comments in the forum, and be there tomorrow - don't worry if it is raining - ring the school and get the minibus to pick you up.

Last chance now - 8 February , 6.30pm SAVE OUR SCHOOL!!!!!

www.savegarstoncofe.co.uk

Exclamation SUCCESSFUL MEETING FOR GARSTON C OF E

OOOOHeeee...don't want to be too previous but I think the council really got the message tonight at the meeting regarding the closure of Garston C of E. In a packed hall of approximately 300 members of the parents, staff and community of Garston, the council officers had to finally admit that

1. Our school is still financially viable and will continue to be so for at least the next three years (Finance Officer)

2. That the regeneration of Garston is far from complete and that the figures they have differ to the ones provided to the Save our School Committee by (ahem) The Executive Officer for Regeneration, Cllr. Peter Millea.

3. That the infomation they have provided to the Executive Board when the decision was made to proceed to consult on closure - factual information - was in fact "open to interpretation", which I think is council-speak for "wrong".

The officers then went on to say that if there were not enough spaces in Banks Road to accommodate all of our pupils, they would extend the building but could not provide an answer as to at what cost, or why they would close one building down to extend another.

Also reported were Councillor Paul Clein's lamentable comments on the icliverpool website that he is of the personal opinion that the Church should not run schools and that he is in agreement with the disestablishment of the Church of England! (Should a man with such opinions take decisions on which schools should close and which stay open?)

The community of Garston have spoken - ignore them at your peril.
    Our faith school much stay!!!!

Blog Entries

I was there, turned up thinking I was early, boy was I wrong. It was chocker block. I was as passionate about Garston c of e as any one in there I just didnt choose to stand up and have my say there, obviously peeps had their say 'for the cause' which was fantastic.

One thing I will say though - OFSTED don't mean Sh**e, its the children that matter at the end of the day. I was a pupil in the 80's and enjoyed myself so much it gave me the inspiration to share this fun and enjoyment with others, that inspiration has took me into the job I'm doing today, because of the experiences I had in C of E when I was 10 years of age.

Thank you everyone back then, we had the best footy team back then too.
    Last edited by Kev; 02-09-2006 at 08:28 AM.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Thumbs up GARSTON CHURCH OF ENGLAND SCHOOL

Cheers for coming along Kev - not everyone got the speak of course cos the "chair" kept passing over people. Thinking about all this and the tram fiasco and Henshaw's big pay off - makes you wonder whose running this whole show doesn't it?

Another point was mentioned - a new Vicar has been appointed to St Mary's - not Garston Parish Church - which leaves the vicarage conveniently at the disposal of the Diocese. They have a short-term tenant in at the moment. I think they know more than they are saying. That is a hugh parcel of land and right next to Liverpool South Parkway - can't find any plans on t'internet - if anyone out there knows anything - pass it on!! (The builders on the station have said that the school is going to be a park and ride car park)

Thanks again - it was brilliant...my daughter will be extremely grateful as will the future kids of Garston

A.D.Williams

Although I live in Garston, not a million miles from young Kev, I was unable to attend because of shift work. I wish you well in your campaign Sweetpatooti.

Sweetpatooti
    I was there also last night with my parents and my elder sister. I also had my say.
    Although I did arrive late and had to ask the panel why the school was up for closure because the only things that I had heard since I got there were all of the points as to why the school should remain open.

1) The school has 81 pupils and thati s going to rise in Septemeber
    2) It has an ofsted ‘notice to improve’ which a lot of schools get
    3) It is financially viable for the next 3 years
    4) The closure proposal study did not extend further than 4 years which is still well within the local regeneration scope.

It got me thinking when I got home and I realised something, when I stated these points the panel nodded their agreement with me.

SO THEY AGREED WITH WHY THE SCHOOL SHOULD REMAIN OPEN

I also noticed something else as well, when the question was asked whether there had been an offer for the land there was only the diocese representative that stood and said no, the other panel members refused to answer the question.

Let me tell you something, if the school closes this time around, it will become part of the new station that is being built, I will guarantee you that.

Let me also give you a few pointers on the tactics these people will use to stall the campaign, I know this because similar tactics have been used when major points crop up in the local area meetings.

A) A senior figure will not attend certain meetings i.e Paul Clein last night
    B) They will try to schedule the meetings at awkward times so not many people from the local area can make it.
    C) They will propose that the meetings are held away from the local area.
    D) They will come armed with facts and figures (which have more weight this time)
    These are sly people you are up against here, you only have to ask the people who live facing the new train station (read my other posts on here)

Keep the campaign going and keep us informed with posts on here and PM’s as well.

Talking GARSTON CHURCH OF ENGLAND SCHOOL

Ahh that was you!

Well done - you summed up everything really well and just at the right time when it was all becoming a bit blurred - it really helped to bring it all back into focus.

We are well aware of the deviousness of the council - you are right about Paul Clein - it was the same five years ago when they tried to close us. He made the bullets and then stood back. He did come to the school later that week and met with a few parents with his sidekick Richard Marbrow. They were a laughable double-act even back then - offering Portakabins at Bishop Martin CE School in Woolton to try and shut us up (they would have loved that wouldn't they - Garston kids in the leafy 'burbs!!) The Diocese didn't know about that one.

All you said is true - they arrange the meetings and then decide they cannot attend. All the meetings at the council have been at 8.30 am or 5.30 pm onwards to make it really difficult for a lot of people to attend. We will be keeping a close eye on them - and the Diocese for that matter.

Of course the land is an issue - nobody can deny that if our school were to close it would be snapped up, probably, as you say by Liverpool South Parkway.

All letters of objection must be in to the Council by 21 February. Folks can either e-mail to Garston.Consultations@liverpool.gov.uk, by mail to Garston CE Consultation, Strategic Planning and Regeneration, Children's Services, Municipal Buildings, Dale Street, Liverpool L2 2DH; send letters into the school to be passed on. If know what they want to say but aren't sure how to word it the Save our School Committee will help in drafting letters. Just get in touch. I will take all you have told me back to the Save our School Committee and will keep you updated.

Thanks a bunch my forum friends - power to the mudmen!!

www.savegarstoncofe.co.uk

No problems.

Just to let you know, the bishopslodge email address on your site has, it seems, has either been taken offlilne or is filtering it's emails and bouncing back unrecognised senders.

I have sent letters to Paul Cleins email (which i doubt he will get) and i have also sent a letter in to the Echo.

I will be sending an emailed letter into the garston consultations email address over the weekend.

I can't believe these people are meant to be educated and yet they left the meeting the other night looking like "councillor cocco and chums", these people really don't live in the real world.

Default Garston Church of England School

Thanks Garstonlad - I have passed that info onto the school and the Committee - someone will look into it see what's going on.

Councillor Coco et al will be at the school next week to see parents who have requested individual meetings - so we hope to give them another grueller!! No info from Cllr Clein as yet

Bout time as the police are prettay lazy lately.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

A.D.Williams

Quote Originally Posted by kev
    Home Secretary Charles Clarke wants Merseyside to merge with Cheshire, meaning the new academy could cater for both forces
    Can't say I am in favour of Cheshire and Merseyside merging!

Arrow GARSTON CHURCH OF ENGLAND SCHOOL

A quick update - bishop's e-mail address on school website is now correct - So feel free to fire away! All letters to the Consultation Team must be in by 21 Feb which is next Tuesday. The parents have had personal consultations with the officers from the council this weeks. All officers were very polite and businesslike - in fact some were positively charming (I hope we didn't frighten them) Councillor Paul Clein who never attends meetings at the school did not show on the night of the consultation, saw fit to reply to a letter written by a concerned member of the public in the Echo. I wonder what made him feel the need to defend his actions in such a public forum?

Will keep you all informed as matters proceed - thanks to you all once again.

Blog Entries

Default Garston Docks vital to company

GARSTON Docks helped its owner, Associated British Ports, to a 2% profits rise in 2005.

The south Liverpool facility enjoyed a fourth consecutive year of growth with between half a million and 600,000 of tonnage passing through.

Manager Nick Ridehalgh said the situation was improving, despite a difficult year, thanks to long-term deals with blue chip companies.

He added Garston was "fundamental" to the overall profitability of the company, thanks to a lucrative sale of land to a housing developer.

Associated, which operates from 21 sites in the UK and employs more than 3,000 people worldwide, said underlying profits rose to £132.3m in 2005. Source
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default Garston Church of England School Saved!!!!!!

Garston C of E has won a reprieve from the Council.

Details are sketchy at the moment but the council's proposal is that the school is to stay open in its present form until August 2007 and then re-open as a multi-faith school - negotiations with the Catholic Archdiocese are to take place.

Unfortunately, with their usual decorum, the council informed the press and media before they informed the school. Therefore, they might not have informed/consulted the other school(s) involved either!!!

Watch this space.................

Page 7 of 57 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast