Page 51 of 57 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: Garston News Views and Discussion

Default under the bridge.

Thanks Norm, I went up to Speke today to meet one of my Brothers. Evans Medical is now completely shut down that?s a shame I worked there as a lad. They have opened up a new industrial park on the old airfield. That?s called the Estuary I don?t know how labour intensive it is but it looks very modern. The number 80 took me down Banks road I thought naming one of the closes at the back of Bryant and May ?Log field? was quite apt. I remember the piles of logs that were always stacked there. Under the bridge is still much the same a few new houses but still very much old Garston. Going up to Speke I stood outside were the old baths use to be but the 82 went right past me and stopped at the top of Horrocks avenue good enough the driver waited for me. Why the busses have been changed so much is beyond me. They have left the old match works standing I remember waiting outside there at half five for a girl who would come out with all those other young girls in blue overalls and white hats. Anyway I will have more to write about during my stay. I hope to jot down a few notes. Thanks again Norm much appreciated

Oh as I was young and easy in the mercy of his means,
    Time held me green and dying
    Though I sang in my chains like the sea.

Dylan Thomas

Blog Entries

Hi Paddy, nice to read your post, having grown up in Garston and still here, its easy to forget that huge changes that have happened recently.

I often jog around the Estuary area now its all built upon and accessible, its peaceful and quiet and I sometimes venture 'down the shore', something I could never have done during the 80's/90's.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

"Thanks for the update Paddy! I do remember the 86 bus stop used to be up nearer to the 'Dole' the 82 was by the Baths, and I too remember the girls from the Matchworks, lot of them lived in the 'Tennies' same as myself. I 'smiled' at your mention of the 'Log Field', nice to know it's still remembered!! Do you remember the little old train that carried the logs up to the Matchworks? went across the 'Cinder Path' as it brought the logs up from Garston dock area!! "Here I go again!!! delving into the past!!!" Cheers to you, and Kev, also !!

I havent been back for 10 years now. Is the fire station on the corner of Banks Rd and Speke road still there?
    Last edited by BillS; 12-07-2008 at 02:05 PM.

The building is but it's no longer a fire station.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Blog Entries

Its apartments
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default Now!

I remember the match works up and running Norm I used the cinder path quite alot I dont remember the train. However thats thirty five years ago! My mates Dad Jimmy Stanley was a fire man at the station and they lived in the end house that backed onto the Airport going towards Banks road.I went to Blessed John Almond and left with no qualifications, as expected. My knowledge of religion however was superior to most tradesmen Anyway I did alright in further education. Worked for Waterhouse bottling and a short stint in the tan yards, Evans Medical and the Corpy before going off to work in the building game.I will be looking around anyway before I go back
    Last edited by Paddy; 12-08-2008 at 07:34 AM.

Dylan Thomas

Default Now!

Thanks Paddy, I guess I'm a bit older than yourself! but I too did a short stint in the Tanyard, when I was about 14 (1946)!!! bit before Blessed John Almonds school was built! Re the photo of the 'Alex' pub that Taffy posted, I also could'nt recognise it!!! not a bit like the Alex that I remember!!! My Uncle (who was blind from birth) used to drink there. he would walk from the 'Tennies' to the Alex down Speke Rd and back again on a regular basis, Knew every inch of the way by heart!!!! Cheers

Default Service

Norm, I remember even in my day you could order a drink by pressing a bell in the Alex

Dylan Thomas

Default 'The Alex'!

"Yes Paddy! I think Tom Tewksbury was the boss there then!"

Default The Alex

Heard from my brother in Moreton this morning and he informed me that the Alex,is up for sale,used to drink in there1960s and early seventies , the landlords name was John and his wifes name was Margaret as i remember

Default Get the ale in.

I don't recall the name of the Landlord only that in the back room you got waited on when you pushed a bell. Popular with courting couples

Dylan Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    I remember the match works up and running Norm I used the cinder path quite alot I dont remember the train. However thats thirty five years ago! My mates Dad Jimmy Stanley was a fire man at the station and they lived in the end house that backed onto the Airport going towards Banks road.I went to Blessed John Almond and left with no qualifications, as expected. My knowledge of religion however was superior to most tradesmen Anyway I did alright in further education. Worked for Waterhouse bottling and a short stint in the tan yards, Evans Medical and the Corpy before going off to work in the building game.I will be looking around anyway before I go back
    Yer mate wasn't Alex Stanley was it? I remember a lad by that name .
    Last edited by BillS; 12-11-2008 at 01:07 AM.

Default Stan

Yes it was Alex his dad was a fireman at the station I think he did a bit of boxing once. He was a good lad and we had some laughs.

Thinking about it It might have been Jimmy Stanley who I knocked about with as his nickname was Stan I recall he had a brother.
    Last edited by Paddy; 12-14-2008 at 09:39 PM.

Dylan Thomas

Did you know Brian Shannon?

Page 51 of 57 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast