Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Helen Jane Skidmore Helen Jane Skidmore's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by garstonrob View Post
    Hi all

also anyone remember the old local band who used to play in the kings pub

and who were they

Hi All

What a great site, I've just spent the last 4 hours taking a trip down memory lane, the photos are fab!!

The band was the Pandamonium Band and my dad (Jimmy Skidmore) was a member back in the 70s & early 80s. What a time they all had - all in the name of charity of course!!

I too remember the dolphins in Garston Baths - I thought I'd dreamt it as everyone I mentioned it to thought I was mad! I think it must have been later than 1970 though.

My Gt Auntie Sophie, used to own the chippy in James Street and her sister Doris used to own the dairy in the same steet - back in the 50s & 60s. Their father was William Jackson.

I remember the Parades that used to end up on the Park where there would be a fairgound. The 1977 Silver Jubilee is the one that stands out in my mind - probably because of the big street party we had after it.

I used to love walking through the tree lined park with my Grandma, in the days before dutch elm disease.

Regards
    Helen

Blog Entries

Default Under The Bridge

Nice to see the final houses emptied (opposite the church). Sad that as soon as they do, they become a target for arsonists!

Demolish asap!
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default Dingle Bank, Garston

Thanks Taffy! for the photo's, as an old 'Garstonian' it's hard for me to recognise that area now! My Mum's family lived in Dingle Vale (Garston) before moving to Byron St, bit before my time!! Hope we will see more pics re the redevelopment of Garston. Regards to All. & Cheers!

Default St Mary's Rd Garston

A number of the derelict buildings seem to be being renovated and a new build structure is going up at 65 St Mary's Rd. Looks like its flats. Interestingly there's also a planning application for a wine bar. A first for St Mary's Rd. There's life coming back to the old street.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	65 St Mary's Rd redeveopment DSC08177R.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	5849   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	St Mary's Rd Garston renovation DSC08186R.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	5850  
    Last edited by taffy; 04-02-2008 at 11:34 PM.

PhilipG

I'm researching the history of 65-67 St Mary's Road at the moment.
    Should take a few more days.
    I've even got photos, but it's one of those cases (like the skating rink/cinema/dance hall in Heald Street) where the history is more interesting than the building itself.
    If nothing else, it must rank as the most untheatre-like theatre in Liverpool.

This was taken from Garston and District Historical Society, Past and Present Feb.2002 Issue No 9. PhilipG, I hope it is of some use to you

The Theatre Royal was situated at 65 St Mary's Road, at the premises that was Co-operative Society's Furnishing Dept.
    The following extract is taken from H.J. Broadbents 'Annals of the Liverpool Stage':
    "Less than a couple of decades ago the Garstonians were unable to boast a permanent theatre, and had to be content with such dramatic fare as itinerant showmen occasionally brought. In 1891 there was the Britannia Theatre under the proprietorship of Mr J. W. Snape, who is, I believe, still touring. The Britannia was not a permanent structure, but it was Mr Snape's intention at that time to build a regular theatre. But this he never carried out.
    The Royal Palace of Varieties was Afterwards erectd in St Mary's Road, and the opening took place in 1892. Mr John Hargreaves was the manager. After being run as a variety theatre it was converted into a playhouse. Closed since February 1895, the theatre was re-opened on 3rdAugust 1896, by Mr David Barnard with Parson Thorn as the attraction. Mr Bernard brought good companies, and successfully directed the theatre for a number of years. After he left the Royal it was convertd into a billiard hall"
    During the week commencing 2nd April 1894, the lucky people of Garston who could afford to pay 1/6d for a Box, 9d in the Circle, 6d in the Balcony or 4d in the Pit, were able to enjoy Mr W S Hardy and his Shakespearian Company, perform 'Catherine Howard' on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, 'Richard III on Thursday, 'Romeo and Juliet' on Friday 'Macbeth' on Saturday. What a treat!

PhilipG

Thanks, Jimmy.
    That's useful.

Default 65 St Mary's Rd Progress

These things go up quickly.

Name:	65 St Mary's Rd Garston progress DSC08329R.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	412.7 KB 
ID:	5982  

Blog Entries

Its amazing how fast that has gone up! Its a big plot of land.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default Really impressed with thread, site and info

Many thanks Kev and friends. I was born in Garson and lived on Windfield Road (67) until I joined the RAF pretty well and now live in Lincoln. The discussions and pictures have been a great joy because there now seems to be hope where until recently Garston just felt like a community in unstoppable decline. I was reminded to log back in by coming across an old(ish) book in my collection that had the orginal Liverpool Libraries plate in it which I've scanned and thought you would find interesting. I also took some pictures around Garston the other month which I also attach.

Warmest Regards,

Chris.

Chris Burke.

Name:	Old Libraries Book Plate1.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	241.5 KB 
ID:	5989   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	From Window Lane, old signsml.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	5990   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Windfield Road First Homesml.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	133.1 KB 
ID:	5991   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Window Lane Papershopsml.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	103.4 KB 
ID:	5992  

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisburke View Post
    Many thanks Kev and friends. I was born in Garson and lived on Windfield Road (67)
    My great nan lived there too for a bit, during the 70's/80's. I think her name would have been Burgess.

Cheers and I'm glad you love the thread!
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Thanks Kev, a family of Burgess'es lived directly behind us. The son was about my age and I used to visit him via a hole in our fence. We would play on the green area opposite his house which would have been Monkfield Way. Windfield Road and Monkfield way look much as they did 50 years ago. My Grandfather (Patrick Murray) had an allottment at the then bottom of Windfield Road, now He was the first tenant at number 67 before the last war and worked on Garston docks which he walked to each day via Lukania Street. He helped build the first Liverpool "by Pass" before that now known as Queens Drive.

Default Garston families

Hi All

I'm researching my family history and would be grateful for any memories of family members who came from 'under the bridge'.

My grandfather's name was Potts and my grandmother's maiden name was Johnson.

They lived in Clarence Grove when my dad was born and at the time they married my grandfather had been living in Chesterton Street, my grandmother in Vulcan Street - earlier sources show the Johnson family also had a strong connection with Shand Street.

Debbie

Default New Slaughterhouse Art Gallery, Garston

A curious name for an art gallery in St Mary's Rd. It's simply that in an earlier guise, the original gallery was actually in the old slaughterhouse on St Mary's Rd.

The Artistic Republic of Garston seems to be getting a re-launch on Saturday May 31st at 2.30pm at the renamed Garston Embassy ( the old tech school on Wellington St)

Name:	Artistic Republic of Garston flag  DSC09315R.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	306.9 KB 
ID:	6461   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New Slaughterhouse DSC09312R.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	436.2 KB 
ID:	6462   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Slaughterhouse interior DSC09311R.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	356.5 KB 
ID:	6463  

Page 45 of 57 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast