Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 747555657

Thread: Garston News Views and Discussion

The Swan corner of James St ,Garston

The George,corner of James St,Garston

The Mariners ,corner of Woodger St,Garston

The Wellington,on Wellington and Duke St,Garston

The Derby Arms,Palmerston Rd,Garston

The Dealers Arms ???,corner of Mersey View,Garston.
    No beer was used taken these, I waited till I got back to the Midland
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Garston Artistic Embassy in Wellington Rd,the old Toxteth Technical college.

Garston Embassy gates

Great Photo's Joe, Many thanks, brought back a lot of old memories for me!! Good old Garston!!!!

Some quaint looking pub's there Joe,especially the "Mariners"! While I'm here,can anyone explain the term "Mudmen",used to describe people from Garston?

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    Some quaint looking pub's there Joe,especially the "Mariners"! While I'm here,can anyone explain the term "Mudmen",used to describe people from Garston?
    Just a guess: to do with the number of fellas working on the docks, which were quite silted up?

Not totally off-topic, I hope: anyone seen the film Under The Mud, set in Garston? Not surprising if you haven't - it was described by the Guardian as the 'best British film you'll never see' But I gather it is now out on DVD.

Blog Entries

Cheers for the pics Joe

According to my dad ...an ex docker....and from Clarence Grove....Garston is the last Dock on the South Side of the Mersey in Liverpool and the river used to silt up.....occassionaly ships would get stuck in the mud....men would wait until the tide went out and dig out the mud surrounding the ship...when the tide came back in , the boat would be freed....of course there are MANY Garston people who say the term Mudman is totally fabricated....I have a friend who says my dads explanation is totally tripe....we have Dredgers now to clear the mud, but before Dredgers it was cleared by hand....I believe my dad....allan

The Stalbridge Hotelin Garston, Anybody know the reason fo the bulls head on the building.
    Regarding the mudmen, wasn`t there an old film starring Andrew Ray called the Mudlark made on the cast iron shore.

Quote Originally Posted by fiftyfive View Post
    According to my dad ...an ex docker....and from Clarence Grove....Garston is the last Dock on the South Side of the Mersey in Liverpool and the river used to silt up.....occassionaly ships would get stuck in the mud....men would wait until the tide went out and dig out the mud surrounding the ship...when the tide came back in , the boat would be freed....of course there are MANY Garston people who say the term Mudman is totally fabricated....I have a friend who says my dads explanation is totally tripe....we have Dredgers now to clear the mud, but before Dredgers it was cleared by hand....I believe my dad....allan
    Thanks for that 55!

Blog Entries

cheers Joe again, maybe Taffy is still around, he'll know

www.liverbuild.co.uk chrismarsden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gregs dad View Post

The Stalbridge Hotelin Garston, Anybody know the reason fo the bulls head on the building.
    Regarding the mudmen, wasn`t there an old film starring Andrew Ray called the Mudlark made on the cast iron shore.
    I think that building was owned by the Mason family who also owned the local dairies, may explain the Bull or Cows head on wall.

Quote Originally Posted by fiftyfive View Post
    just to add , according to my dad it was the Dingle Dockers who nicknamed the Garston men "mudmen"...as a skit.....allan

Blog Entries

Hi Joe,
    There was indeed a film called The Mudlark and Ted Ray's son Andrew' played the juvenile lead,but it was about the Thames. Mudlarks were children who scavenged on the foreshore and sold their findings to dealers. A very fine film it was too,
    BrianD

Default Local History Exhibtion Garston Park Church March 17 & 18th, 2012

Long time away for me. Nice to be back. What news do I bring? Well it's a major Local History Exhibition at Garston Park Church on Saturday March 17th ( 10 am to 4pm) and Sunday March 18th (12 noon to 4 pm). If you have an interest in Garston, Aigburth and Grassendale's history, you'll not be disappointed.

The meeting is in the Church Hall which is at the junction of Garston Old Rd, Bowden Rd and Island Rd. Some may know the building as Island Rd Methodist Church
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GDHS March 17th and 18th 2012 Exhibition RR.jpg 
Views:	1106 
Size:	125.1 KB 
ID:	24389  

Taffy !! where have you been all this time !?

Great to see you back !

Page 57 of 57 FirstFirst ... 747555657