Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Liverpool

Went to Kirkby today to view a couple of houses and take a look around.My wife liked one of the houses quite a lot,and I liked the price.Can anyone give me a heads up about Kirkby,whats it like to live their? Would be grateful for any info,thinking about putting an offer in tomorrow.

Depends what part of Kirkby, going out towards Melling is okay, and some of the houses near the Town Centre. I worked in Kirkby for years, and knew a lot of people. They love Kirkby and wouldn't live anywhere else. Personally I wouldn't like to live there, but this is personal choice and not an insult to any Kirkbyittes reading this.

Yeah, going towards Melling way is nice.
    I don't know much about Kirkby so I can't say much, but we do pass through that way quite a lot and it looks ok when you go down past the train station.
    There's plenty of facilities there isn't there, and a good shopping centre.

George

Kirby is an estate...whatelse can you expect from council built estates,but there are decent house that are not part of the estate ie they're on the perimeter of the kirby estate.

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Kirby is a dodgy place to move to . Sorry but it is. I know a few people who live there and well lets just say...You definately have to know your f's and c's.

The house we liked was on the littledale estate,it looked pretty decent.

Kirby is where many "real" scousers",from Scotty, were decanted to,in the late 50's,early 60's,and that's what many locals will tell you! It's many moons, since I was up that way,but older Kirby (Southdene,etc)seemed quite settled,when I was,and it was the newer Tower Hill estate,which attracted the bad publicity! I can't remember the last time I read anything specifically bad,about the place,but there's probably the same,if not better, low level crime,etc,as there is anywhere,in Merseyside,or elsewhere! Give it a go

If u haven't already, u'd be better talking to ur potential neighbours. Can introduce urself, get to know them and find out if there'll be a personality clash and I'm sure as long as they're not the 'bad' neighbour type they'll be honest with u as to what the area is like.

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    Kirby is where many "real" scousers",from Scotty, were decanted to,in the late 50's,early 60's,and that's what many locals will tell you!
    What is a "real scouser"?! I feel confused now but nothing new there

Quote Originally Posted by AngelCake View Post
    What is a "real scouser"?! I feel confused now but nothing new there
    Dont get confused Angel, it's probably just a myth perpetuated by people like Margie Clark,or "Margox" as she was known at one time! My lot got sent up there,but then,there were no shops, only "mobiles",so my Ma' wasn't having it, and we went to Kirkdale!

Blog Entries

I lived in Kirkby when I was a kid. Ever been to Belfast? It's like that. I'm not coneming Belfast or Kirkby, it's very tight.

Back onto this old topic,whilst looking around the Walton area,we found a nice house in Orrell park and are hoping someone can let us know what this area is like.The Kirkby house we looked at was the most suitable one we've see so far, but we were put off by the schools,no disrespect to anyone from Kirkby,were as the nearest high school to Orrell park is quite good (if the Ofsted report is anything to go by), the transport links into Liverpool are very good and the local shopping is also very good.Anyhow,would love to hear your views.

Seems a pretty good area,for the reasons you state,and you dont see it mentioned in the "Echo" much,so it appears good,from a crime/scal' perspective!?!

Orrell Park is a good option. There are lots of good roads with some lovely houses - all different types; average terrace, small semis, large Victorian, depending on what you can afford. There are some lovely houses around Kingfield, Stanley gardens, Chatsworth, etc.
    Orrell Park is ideal for transport links and shops. It's one of the areas I would look at.

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Orrell Park...bad idea!!!
    Take it from someone who knows like me,. It's Walton and Rice lane gangs there.Just down the road is the Rice Lane wreck (a large field). This is used as an escape route onto the old railway line (transpenine route).

The problem here is people giving you advice when they don't really know what they're on about.
    How many of the people giving advice have actually "hung around" an area long enough to know what it's like. ?

If you like the Orrell park area then I suggest Longmoor Lane. Reason......
    long main road,nice houses and very rarely any trouble.

Job's a good un'

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast