Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brian Epstein

Blog Entries

Default Brian Epstein

Nickname ...Eppie

His autobiography, "A Cellarful of Noise", written during the height of "Beatlemania", was supposedly ghost-written by Beatles press agent Derek Taylor.

John Lennon wrote the song "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away", allegedly after rejecting one of Brian's romantic advances.

While he preferred listening to classical music, he had a keen sense of pop music trends.

Was the Beatles' first manager, and referred to them as "the boys".

Was dismissed from the British Army for being "incurably civilian", but was given a good character reference: "Sober, conscientious, and utterly trustworthy".

Ran a record shop concession in a chain of furniture stores owned by his father.

Studied for three terms at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art (RADA) in London; his classmates included Peter O'Toole and Susannah York.

Epstein at first thought the name "Beatles" sounded silly, when he saw it on a Liverpool concert bill. In asking his staff about them, though, he was surprised to learn they were among his frequent customers, sometimes browsing NEMS between shows at the Cavern, and he'd liked the members he'd dealt with.

Along with their business dealings, Epstein and George Martin also developed a casual friendship; Epstein would join Martin and wife-to-be Judy Lockhart-Smith on afternoons or evenings out. Epstein's wedding gift to the two was a set of silver napkin rings - eleven, to commemorate the number present at the bridal dinner.

Was given a copy of the The Velvet Underground's first album (with the banana cover) by one of his contacts, and played it almost incessantly during a 1967 vacation. Reportedly considered bringing the Velvets to England to perform, but died before things could be worked out.

Sponsored the only Monkees concerts given in England in the 1960s; a series of shows at Wembley.

One of Epstein's last signings was The Cyrkle, of "Red Rubber Ball" fame; John Lennon provided the band's new name.

Besides the Beatles, Brian Epstein also managed Cilla Black, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Billy J. Kramer, and Tommy Quickly, while his NEMS Enterprises lineup represented The Bee Gees, Jimi Hendrix, and Cream.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Very nice poem about Brian Epstein just posted on the Liverpool 800 poems site:

Eppy-taph

Brian Epstein was a friend of mine
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, they all say that!
    It's true! I could tell you about the time
    When he lent me his favourite cravat!
    Brian Epstein was a friend of mine
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, they all say that!

Hello Brian. Is it really forty years since you went away?
    Standing here by your graveside wondering what to say
    I can still see you smiling as I asked for a record to play
    There in NEMS in the listening booth
    Where I first heard three chords and the truth
    And instead of more than forty years, it seems like yesterday.

Brian O'Connell
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

He did have the wisdom of success for your Liverpool Lads...nice remembrance that was Chris..

Hi naked lilac

In many ways, Brian Epstein has become the forgotten man in the Beatles' success story. I often think that if everything had not worked out the way it did, with Brian Epstein's business genius, followed by George Martin's musical genius at Parlophone, John Lennon and Paul McCartney could have remained just plain Liverpool boys, their talent not known to the world as it ultimately came to be. Just a couple of guys who, like hundreds of others, played in a mildly successful Merseybeat band, in the beat boom of the Sixties. They might have gone on to be blokes with everyday lives, teachers or clerks perhaps, all that talent unknown, members of a sometime band in the Sixties, nothing special, fading from view. A different trajectory to what happened, but quite possible I think, if Brian Epstein had not had the business acumen and foresight to have taken them from the cellar in Liverpool to the world.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

DaisyChains

Nice thread

I actually bought a first edition of Cellarful of Noise this week from Ebay

Steven

It's on Radio Merseyside - Now - They are proposing to put up a statue in honour of Brian Epstein. Rex Makin came on the radio and said he was opposed to it ???

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    It's on Radio Merseyside - Now - They are proposing to put up a statue in honour of Brian Epstein. Rex Makin came on the radio and said he was opposed to it ???
    Hi Steven

I think Brian Epstein should have a statue. As I mentioned above, I often think the Beatles may not have gone anywhere without Epstein's business acumen to take them there. They needed him to get the big break.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

I agree. There should be a statue for him.

Steven

Brian was one of our own and came from a wonderful hardworking family. I met him a few times when he was in the music store and he was a great person to talk to. If he didn't have the record you wanted, then he promised to get it. He always did.
    Brian also made an arrangement with Frank Gretty who worked in Hesseys. Frank would hire out musical instruments to groups playing on the Cavern or the Iron Door. Many of the groups at this time could not afford their own gear. Brian helped many groups this way and eventually,,,,, he didn't know how many bands he had on his books.

I liked him.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Brian was one of our own and came from a wonderful hardworking family. I met him a few times when he was in the music store and he was a great person to talk to. If he didn't have the record you wanted, then he promised to get it. He always did.
    Brian also made an arrangement with Frank Gretty who worked in Hesseys. Frank would hire out musical instruments to groups playing on the Cavern or the Iron Door. Many of the groups at this time could not afford their own gear. Brian helped many groups this way and eventually,,,,, he didn't know how many bands he had on his books.

I liked him.

A great reminiscence of Brian Epstein, Steven. Many thanks.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Someone on the phone-in actually said 'What did he do for Liverpool?'

The ignorance of some people

Have you seen the stable of musicians he assembled under his banner - He managed the Merseybeat scene.

With a little help from his friends like Bill Harry, Bob Wooler, Sam Leach, Alan Williams who hosted, promoted and reported on local shows.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Someone on the phone-in actually said 'What did he do for Liverpool?'

The ignorance of some people

Have you seen the stable of musicians he assembled under his banner - He managed the Merseybeat scene.

With a little help from his friends like Bill Harry, Bob Wooler, Sam Leach, Alan Williams who hosted, promoted and reported on local shows.
    Agreed, Ged. Brian Epstein was himself a star on the local music scene and not just because he managed the Beatles. As Steven said, he helped a lot of struggling musicians to stardom, not just the ones he managed.

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist

Though I do agree with what Billy Butler said. He was a shy person and would blush brightly at the thought of a statue to him. I can see the sense in getting one for Noel Chavasse first.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

John(Zappa)

No way would I like a statue of Epstein.
    Ken dodd would be more suitable.
    As Ged said Noel Chavasse even.
    A real man that we could all appreciate,a man that my great grandad would of been proud of
    Last edited by Kev; 02-03-2008 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John(Zappa) View Post
    No way would I like a statue of Epstein.
    Ken dodd would be more suitable.
    As Ged said Noel Chavasse even.
    A real man that we could all appreciate,a man that my great grandad would of been proud of.
    Oh well John each to their own opinion, shame you think like that.
    Last edited by Kev; 02-03-2008 at 11:52 AM.
    " If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from".

"I could have been a footballer - but I had a paper round"..Yosser Hughes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast