Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Childrens Homes

Sirob
    You are lucky, all I have is memories of my time there. No pics taken them days.
    Pic number one must have been taken from up a tree from what I can see.
    Pic number two was taken from in front of the house. The two buildings on the left = The first one was the classrooms. The second was not there in my time.
    The third and the fourth I do not recognize.

You had your camera. I had piano lessons from a dear old lady who lived down Gatacre Brow. Never did carry on with the piano. Went to sea instead.

Thanks again for the memories.

Phredd
    In the days when we had nothing we had fun.
    If tomorrow starts without me, remember I was here.

Default Aymestry Court

Phredd, the building beyond the classrooms was a gym
    the third pic is taken right at the bottom of the grounds
    and the fourth is half way down, where there was also a paddling pool, plus a car to wreck and holes to dig!!!!!
    Outing to the Mersey Tunnel at Mann Island
    Supervisors, plus backgrounds
    On the Guinness boat 1963
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aaa17 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	702 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	10208   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aaa6.jpg 
Views:	648 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	10209   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aaa14.jpg 
Views:	718 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	10210   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aaa10.jpg 
Views:	653 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	10211  
    You take them for granted - until one day they're gone!

Blog Entries

Can I just say a big thanks for sharing these pics Sirob, much appreciated.

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Location Kensington drone_pilot's Avatar

Sirob, these are great images, I was in care over the water in new brighton, due to mum having a brain abscess, and dad in the navy, I was only 5ish at the time so I have very clouded memory's of it.

I have now contacted Social services in new brighton to see what info they have on me.
    multi multa; nemo omnia novit

The actor Paul Barber who plays "Denzil" from Only fools and Horses gives a good insight into the Liverpool Care system and tells how he had to be split up from his siblings when his mother died. He talks about a woman in a big house off Menlove Ave who used to put bleach in his bath to make him look "whiter". Breaks your heart reading things like that. Dreadful.

Quote Originally Posted by drone_pilot View Post
    Sirob, these are great images, I was in care over the water in new brighton, due to mum having a brain abscess, and dad in the navy, I was only 5ish at the time so I have very clouded memory's of it.

I have now contacted Social services in new brighton to see what info they have on me.
    Will you let us know how you get on? I'ts something I keep meaning to do
    Steve

Default Me and Paddy

I know Paul Barber but I know him as Paddy Barber we spent some time together as kids. I remember him going to an audidition at the Empire for a part in Hair,the rest is history: good on yer Paddy
    Last edited by Paddy; 05-07-2009 at 12:01 AM.
    Oh as I was young and easy in the mercy of his means,
    Time held me green and dying
    Though I sang in my chains like the sea.

Dylan Thomas

Default History

I was listening to the Children?s secretary Ed Balls on Sky news this morning. What he was saying is that they need to create a safe system for child care to prevent abuse of children in society. Well thinking about it if they refuse to address historic incidents then there will be a continuity factor in occurrences, the reason being that others have got away with it. I remember as a lad listening to the bad talk in Liverpool from people who had engaged in institutionalized abuse. The reference to children was as objects and that is the problem. It was normal for staff at Menlove Avenue to boast about ill treatment. So how do these people survive and function in children?s homes? I think the answer might lie in the fact that historic denial exists.

Dylan Thomas

Blog Entries

Paddy,
    The brown stuff starting to hit the fan in Ireland may well bring a period of openess and disclosure along the lines you wish for. Once something like that becomes a big topic in the media more excavation tends to get carried out.
    You can only hide things under the carpet for so long...
    Kevin

Default Aplogies

Kevin it makes my blood boil. The English Catholic church is not linked in with the state as it is in Ireland. So Liverpool and North Wales plus Glasgow institutions are beyond the law. Yet the evidence of abuse is overwhelming. And again I make the point violence against children is a crime. Smut papers go in for sexual abuse yet there is far more to it. When a lot of this came to light there was a moral panic around sexual abuse leading to false allegations and payouts to people who could prove that they had been molested. I have no problem with the true victim?s only sympathy. However it is quite sad to find courts being sympathetic only to sexual abuse. What I was told by a barrister is that corporal punishment was a norm in the 50?s and 60?s. Well were barristers like Cherie Blair beaten up as children? After all she was educated by the same nuns who brought me up that?s a fact. It does seem that Catholic England is avoiding any responsibility. However if the Pope decides to apologize as in Australia and other countries it would help solicitors bring successful prosecutions against institutions and individuals. Remember a lot of the children in Australia were shipped out from Liverpool

Dylan Thomas

Thumbs up Aymestrey Court

Hello Sirob

Re the below
    This special school was on Acrefield Road, near Gateacre Brow. Since it was mentioned, I post 2 pics of it in 1962 and 2 during the big freeze in 1963. there are more, if anyone is interested.

Yes Please if you have any other pictures of Aymestry Court that would be great.

Dave
    lpl.dpimblett@cma-cgm.com

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    I looked through those posts Ged the children?s admission unit on Acrefield road was for taking in kids who had come into care. Some kids would return to their families after very short periods others would be filtered through into the system. I went there from Bootle as I had become hostile to the foster parents in Bootle as I thought they were squandering money that was for keeping us. As in going on benders. My first home was Nazareth house Crosby run by nuns I went there when I was ten months old till I was nine and they sent me to Bootle. That was hard for me as I had previously only known the convent up until then. However I adapted. I was head butted and kicked in the balls a few times so I learn?t to fight back and stand up for myself. I wasn?t a little altar boy anymore and I had to react. Then when you start fighting back the label wild is applied.
    Arriving in South Liverpool was the best thing for me it wasn?t all roses and I was very badly treated at Menlove Avenue while waiting to go to New Heys. New Heys was fantastic they had ladders in the trees and swings and you could play football and go out to the park unsupervised it was a very happy place and all the kids had a room of their own. Most of the homes in south Liverpool were okay except for Westfield the guy who run that one was eventually prosecuted. Parkfield was progressive and most of the kids were happy. There was a convent in Woolton that had a bad name but I never went there so I cannot comment. I read your post and your right, people should be able to talk about their upbringing freely. With the Catholic church acting as they are up until nine I have no childhood no photographs nothing you are never asked about or invited to reunions. Effectively your childhood does not exist it is taboo because it is a source of embarrassment for them. I never see pictures or read about the history of the place that was and still is the largest institution in Liverpool. When we were kids we marched every were in two?s forming a line quite long. If we went to the pictures or school or the shops. We had the nickname the Nazis because we came from Nazareth house that was abbreviated to Nazi house. The regime inside was very harsh on the kids. You went to church every single day first thing in the morning. Sundays you just got religion all day. Well what kind of a childhood is that? And I know it upsets people but it is the truth that some Nuns were very cruel to the Children. Still it is something they will not and won?t admit and so the victims remained emotionally in limbo.
    Hi Paddy

I was in a childrens home in Druids Cross rd in Woolton, It was called St. Catherines convent for girls, or st. catherines ophanage , I have been trying to finds out its history for years, some people get it mixed up with Knoll Park which was around the corner. My brothers where both in knoll park in the 1950s, st catherines belonged to a merchant taylor who gave the mansion to the sisters of de paul in the 1920s which became st. catherines, it was a huge white house , with a chapel on the side, it was a wonderful building, which i can still see vividly ,it had tennis courts, it grew its own fruit and vegtables, it was set in large grounds, it was demolished in the early eighties and now expensive house have been build since, all that is left of the beautiful old mansion is the coach house, which at the time was the laundry house, but now someone lives there, I had some many wonderful memories of st. catherines, which sadly closed down in 1971 because the city council could not afford to help the sisters of de paul run it, all the children where shipped off to different foster homes, across the city, i would love to meet up anyone who remembers me from them days

Default Pics of Amystery Court School

Quote Originally Posted by Sirob View Post
    This special school was on Acrefield Road, near Gateacre Brow. Since it was mentioned, I post 2 pics of it in 1962 and 2 during the big freeze in 1963. there are more, if anyone is interested.
    I would like to see all the pics you have of this school, Brings back a lot of memory's. Fascinating!!

Liverpool New Yorker! Ronijayne's Avatar

Hi Teresamaria Welcome.

Sadly, Paddy who started this post has since died.

Hopefully Sirob will read this and post some more photos. It is certainly a subject we should all be very aware of. Children growing up in fear is not acceptable.
    Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirob View Post
    Phredd, the building beyond the classrooms was a gym
    the third pic is taken right at the bottom of the grounds
    and the fourth is half way down, where there was also a paddling pool, plus a car to wreck and holes to dig!!!!!
    Outing to the Mersey Tunnel at Mann Island
    Supervisors, plus backgrounds
    On the Guinness boat 1963
    Pics are great, keep them coming...
    Does anyone still have any pics taken on the camping trips to Boland Bridge in the Lakes? The staff took loads then displayed them back at the school for the kids to purchase. I had 3 but they were lost some time back.
    I remember The headmaster owned a cottage in the village & I have since found out he owned the pub called the Hare & Hounds next door, that explains why we all stayed there for the first few days on one trip during heavy rainfall which flooded the camp site in August 1962. I still have the postcard I sent my Mum.
    Great memory's.. I was at Amystery Court from Sep 1961 till Summer 1964 when my parents then moved to Maghull..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast