Hi all,
as a lover of all things local, was dismayed to see the state of the so called "preserved" merseyrail trains - apparantly owned by the national railway museum. Was told of a group formed to preserve and restore the unit that used to run between southport-garston etc and promptly joined. According the website, they now have secure storage for the unit in which restoration can begin and i understand that transport has also been arranged. Unfortunately the NRM will not release the unit until it is insured! The group has had a quote which seems a lot but probably isnt! either way this, as it stands, is the only barrier between the unit staying outside rotting away, and being moved somewhere where people can restore her to her former glory. I have donated money and was appeal to anyone who has a local interest (whether trains or not like me!) to help the group out so that a piece of most of our childhoods is not lost forever and turned into razor blades and coke cans! Their website is www.class502.org.uk please help in whatever way you can!
rant over!
regards
Barry