Page 38 of 43 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Legendary Liverpool Clubs Of Yesteryear.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgePorgie View Post
    82/83 was the Somali clubs demise,many clubs in Toxteth were not licensed,I fink the only club that was licensed was the Nigerian? been in a few unlicensed one meself when police raids happened.

Remember going into town night clubs and when they closed we would go into upper parliment street clubs(houses really) met some birds at the town night clubs and took em to one of the parly clubs,anyway one of the bird said to her mate..."Bit dark in here ain't it"....

You've seen that cartoon where the lights go out and all you see is white eyes blinking....well it was a case of Dell Boy time...drink up trigg we're leaving.
    The "Tudor" was licensed,but not sure about some of the others?

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    I've got lots of 'nearly copped off' stories!
    Yeah I believe ya.

Default Does anyone remember a music club in St Michaels, Aigburth in the late 50's, early 60's

Hi,
    I live in a house called Birchmoor at 2 St Michaels Road which is elevated on the corner of Bryanstone Road and St Michaels Road in St Michaels, Aigburth L17.

The house is a large victorian one (built 1873) and was converted into flats sometime in the early seventies but the story goes (handed down through tennants) that it used to be a music club in the late 50's / early 60's. It was possibly called the Birchmoor Social Club but not certain. I have also heard that it was connected to the Marsden family (gerry & the pacemakers, who were from Dingle area so that may tie in) but not sure if that can be relied on. There is lots of evidence that would support it being a music club such as serving hatch gaps in walls etc. but despite lots of online searches I have found no history of the club. I would love to find out more information as I'm passionate about local history so thanks for any info. Here is a photo of the property as it stands now.

All the best,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mendoza View Post
    Hi,
    I live in a house called Birchmoor at 2 St Michaels Road which is elevated on the corner of Bryanstone Road and St Michaels Road in St Michaels, Aigburth L17.

The house is a large victorian one (built 1873) and was converted into flats sometime in the early seventies but the story goes (handed down through tennants) that it used to be a music club in the late 50's / early 60's. It was possibly called the Birchmoor Social Club but not certain. I have also heard that it was connected to the Marsden family (gerry & the pacemakers, who were from Dingle area so that may tie in) but not sure if that can be relied on. There is lots of evidence that would support it being a music club such as serving hatch gaps in walls etc. but despite lots of online searches I have found no history of the club. I would love to find out more information as I'm passionate about local history so thanks for any info. Here is a photo of the property as it stands now.

All the best,
    Steve
    Have you thought of contacting Gerry himself? Here's his site,if you fancy it!

http://www.gerrymarsden.co.uk/

Just found this web-site. and I'm enjoying reading it

scroll down for a list of L8 clubs. http://www.toxteth.com/liverpool8.html

Some interesting names/places there,Lindy,though I only ever visited a few, of those clubs!

I remember we used to go to the Marlborough before we went to the Babalou. I remember going to the Dolphin. I worked on the door of the Star & garter. I remember being in the QT on Peter st having a full blown face to face argument with the owner Peter Stockley, next night someone went to argue with him so Peter pulled a gun and shot him through the head. I remember going to Annabels, went the Grafton a couple of times. I remember coming out of Uglys one night with my mate who was on crutches and our girlfriends and we got jumped by a load of lads but apart from my girl getting hit over the head with a bottle we managed to get the better of them. I remember going to Secrets in Bootle, the Strand club, the Spectrum the Quadrantpark. I remember going to the Gaslight off Dale street for a very late one. I remember going to the Jacaranda where my mum met my dad, he was in a steel drum band and she worked behind the bar, ( shouldnt I get some sort of staff discount ). I remember all these things no problem but I cant remember where I put my driving licence

Quote Originally Posted by surestart View Post
    I remember we used to go to the Marlborough before we went to the Babalou. I remember going to the Dolphin. I worked on the door of the Star & garter. I remember being in the QT on Peter st having a full blown face to face argument with the owner Peter Stockley, next night someone went to argue with him so Peter pulled a gun and shot him through the head. I remember going to Annabels, went the Grafton a couple of times. I remember coming out of Uglys one night with my mate who was on crutches and our girlfriends and we got jumped by a load of lads but apart from my girl getting hit over the head with a bottle we managed to get the better of them. I remember going to Secrets in Bootle, the Strand club, the Spectrum the Quadrantpark. I remember going to the Gaslight off Dale street for a very late one. I remember going to the Jacaranda where my mum met my dad, he was in a steel drum band and she worked behind the bar, ( shouldnt I get some sort of staff discount ). I remember all these things no problem but I cant remember where I put my driving licence

Quote Originally Posted by surestart View Post
    Annabels, I've mentioned this place before. Any pics ?

[/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    Just found this web-site. and I'm enjoying reading it

scroll down for a list of L8 clubs. http://www.toxteth.com/liverpool8.html

The Gladray, Upper Parly (LRO)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Somali Club (Steve Howe)

All Nations Lucky Bar - Upper Parly (LRO)

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Was sat in the window of The Fly In The Loaf other day and was trying to rememeber the name of the club/bar that was above the wine store across the road, on the corner of Pilgrim Street. Entrance was a side door and I think there was an upstairs and possibly a downstairs to it... can anyone remember what it was called?

Chaucers, though originally it was something else.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Chaucers, though originally it was something else.
    ....."O'Connor's tavern" originally!

Does anyone have any idea, when it ceased to be a pub?

Just seen the pics Ged. Very good them. Nice one fella.

Ged,do you have any pic's of"Chaucer's" on your site?

Page 38 of 43 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast