Page 36 of 43 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Legendary Liverpool Clubs Of Yesteryear.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    The Mayflower was in Fazakerly Street off Old Hall street and we used to play there in 1980.
    True Ged, we played there too, a weird hippy bunch called Catch 22, also there was raynfords behind Probe, the Cumberland, Planet X,Rudis at the dale st end of cumberland st,about a decade later there was the lomax in the same street,then when it all went aciiiid,there was the coconut grove on green lane,mon,wed,fri and saturdays with the unforgettable BRUMMY the bouncer on the mikes

I also recall the last days of the Irish Centre around 96/97, a beautiful building, the owners had very kindly let us rehearse in the cellar,every day it opened to the public around 10.am and served the best breakfast you could find,including white pudding,which id never come across, to mainly students and the local community,a great mish mash of people who really appreciated its place in the community. We were even lucky enough to watch Peter Green soundcheck, as well as acts including the Real People and many others in its fine auditorium.At the time we were unaware of the financial plight they were under and when we turned up one morning to rehearse, the whole place was locked up and boarded with all the owners assets inside and of course, our gear in the cellar. Straight away,Kevin ,the main owner staged a roof top protest/presence and he was there on that roof for months,battling to get everything out of the building,including our gear.In the winter months,we would all turn up with food, blankets etc, people from right across the board ,showing solidarity.....eventually they released everything from the building and Kevin came down from the roof but the building has never recovered,we often think about Kev, be great if he read this forum and hes got his feet up in a nice warm place.Let us know mate x.

Hi Folks

We at Hurricane Films are running a reminiscence project and are looking for your stories and tales of nights out in Liverpool. Our project aims to collect stories of Liverpool night life from the 1940s to the present day.

Please get involved
    Hurrricane Films
    0151 707 9700
    info@hurricanefilms.co.uk

Was down Regent rd way, today,and took a couple of pic's of the gradually disintegrating "Norseman" club! Never went there myself,but heard plenty of tales!Does anyone know when it closed? You can see the effect of the partial road closure,a few years back,as there are several other closed premises,such as the "Langton Castle" pub,nearby.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p7240022.JPG 
Views:	675 
Size:	383.0 KB 
ID:	16620   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7240023.JPG 
Views:	908 
Size:	412.3 KB 
ID:	16621   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LANGTON CASTLE.JPG 
Views:	478 
Size:	233.4 KB 
ID:	16622   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7240017.JPG 
Views:	263 
Size:	421.2 KB 
ID:	16624   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P7240016.JPG 
Views:	286 
Size:	398.1 KB 
ID:	16623  

11 Hours Ago #529
    wsteve55
    Me,I'm just a lawnmower..... You can tell me by the way I walk.

www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Does anyone remember the name of the club, I think it was in Fraser Street off London Road. It was quite a trendy place in the 80s. I remember going one night and Ultravox came in after they'd played in the Empire.

I used to go the State which was the best club ever. Before that we used to go to Tuxedos, in between the Conti and Snobs on Wolstenholme Square. A great gang of people used to go to Tuxedos the bouncers even used to arrange days out for the clubgoers!

The club in Fraser Street was Mr Pickwicks. (my first visit there was for the very first Beatles convention over the weekend of John Lennon's birthday 9th/10th October 1977 - what a good way to remember) and I then went there throughout the following years before it was later renamed Heaven.

Thanks Ged. No it wasn't Pickwicks - I went there once and never forgotten! I was racking my brains and remembered in the middle of the night it was Cagneys. Maybe it wasnt in Fraser Street.

Yes it was on the corner of Fraser st and London road and became Gullivers and was part of Sampson and barlows peppermint lounge.

I was gonna say Cagney's! Not a usual haunt,but they had a run of mainly local bands on there,around then,but the only one I can remember is Dalek I,with Alan Gill,who also played with the Teardrop Explodes!

Blog Entries

Hi Ged,
    I think it was the Peppermint Lounge.EDITED- Dinos and Gullvers also ring a bell.
    Cheers,
    Chas
    Last edited by chasevans; 07-26-2010 at 08:52 PM. Reason: after a bit of thought.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lindylou View Post
    thanks for info about Terry O'Neil. There's probably something about him out there on the net - maybe some pictures. I'll have a look when I get time.
    Perhaps he should go into our Scouser hall of fame ... well he was quite well known in L'pool.

The club Rios. We used to go there a lot.
    Very disappointed when it turned into a rave club. it used to cater for average age 30s and upwards with a few younger ones mixed in. It was great for somewhere for the older clubbers to go. Then they changed it to a rave scene for 18 to 25s age group - so the regulars had to stop going.

There is hardly anywhere for older ones to go to. If you like to dance and don't like sitting in an alehouse all night there is very little else to choose from.
    I remember Terry O Neil also being a bouncer on the door at Mr Digby's in Birkenhead. I seem to recall him working at the nightclub within the Adelphi Hotel ( during Supercharges heyday), and I think he later on opened a fitness club on the outskirts of Liverpool. Winning the Mr Universe competition might be another of his claims to fame.
    Regards,
    Chas
    Last edited by chasevans; 07-26-2010 at 09:17 PM. Reason: correction

I think the club at the Adelphi,was the "Banyan Tree", and Terry O'Neil's gym,was at the top of London rd?

Had many a new years eve in the Irish centre,,,,
    Quote Originally Posted by barizla 66 View Post
    I also recall the last days of the Irish Centre around 96/97, a beautiful building, the owners had very kindly let us rehearse in the cellar,every day it opened to the public around 10.am and served the best breakfast you could find,including white pudding,which id never come across, to mainly students and the local community,a great mish mash of people who really appreciated its place in the community. We were even lucky enough to watch Peter Green soundcheck, as well as acts including the Real People and many others in its fine auditorium.At the time we were unaware of the financial plight they were under and when we turned up one morning to rehearse, the whole place was locked up and boarded with all the owners assets inside and of course, our gear in the cellar. Straight away,Kevin ,the main owner staged a roof top protest/presence and he was there on that roof for months,battling to get everything out of the building,including our gear.In the winter months,we would all turn up with food, blankets etc, people from right across the board ,showing solidarity.....eventually they released everything from the building and Kevin came down from the roof but the building has never recovered,we often think about Kev, be great if he read this forum and hes got his feet up in a nice warm place.Let us know mate x.

Blog Entries

Smile Banyan Tree

Quote Originally Posted by wsteve55 View Post
    I think the club at the Adelphi,was the "Banyan Tree", and Terry O'Neil's gym,was at the top of London rd?
    The Banyan Tree is right, I don't know about the owner of the gym but I do recall one at the top of London Road. It was owned by the Fitsmaurice family in the '80's, one of the brothers, Neil, played a major role in " Phoenix Nights" on Channel 4, and has appeared in many Merseyside related films.
    Cheers,
    Chas
    Last edited by chasevans; 07-27-2010 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Fitsmaurice family

Page 36 of 43 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast