Thread: Patricia Medina.

Default Patricia Medina.

Hi all,
    just wondered if anyone here knew anything about a Hollywood actress called Patricia Medina? She is apparently,from somewhere in Liverpool, and is now in her 80's! Not a bad looking girl,though I cant say I recognise her.
    Steve.

She was married to Joseph Cotton right up to his death in 1994. Yes, she was apparently born in Liverpool. I've seen her in a few films/TV programmes down the years.

It is Accomplished

I can't find anything that can expand on the the following -

Patricia Medina, 19/07/1919 (West Derby Liverpool, England)

She was our answer to America`s Yvonne De Carlo of the swashbuckling films
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Patricia Medina Biography from Hollywood.com

A ravishing brunette actress with large, dark eyes, Patricia Medina began in routine British films in the late 1930s and worked her way up to leads in the mid-40s, whereupon she was promptly summoned to Hollywood. Medina practically had to begin at the beginning again, playing modest supporting roles as second fiddle to June Allyson, Maureen O'Hara and other more established actresses. She made it to leading roles in 1950, but the signs were not promising: "Francis" kicked off the famous but asinine talking mule comedies, and "Abbott and Costello in the Foreign Legion" was hardly a showcase for Medina, either. She fared somewhat better in "Fortunes of Captain Blood" that same year, not because the film was so good but because it first teamed her with the also-British and equally dashing Louis Hayward, with whom she would successfully co-star in four films.

With her lush good looks and classy yet impassioned demeanor, Medina was usually typecast in period melodrama, generally second features or middling "A" budget fare, but including enjoyable films like "The Lady in the Iron Mask" (1952) and "The Black Knight" (1954). Two standouts, though, were William Witney's gem of a B-Western, "Stranger at My Door" (1956), and Orson Welles' bizarre companion piece to "Citizen Kane", "Mr. Arkadin" (1955). She was quite prolific during the 1950s but her film career largely petered out at the end of the decade. Having married and divorced handsome British-born 40s lead Richard Greene (TV's "Robin Hood"), Medina wed actor Joseph Cotten in 1960. The two enjoyed success onstage in the 60s in "Calculated Risk" and she later traveled with him as he kept busy acting. She later returned to the screen in Robert Aldrich's adaptation of the lesbian-themed drama "The Killing of Sister George" in 1968.

Actor Sometimes Credited As: Patricia Cotten
    Second husband: Joseph Cotten (married from 1960 until his death in 1994)
    First husband: Richard Greene (married in 1941; divorced in 1952; acted with Medina in "The Fighting O'Flynn", 1949)

Milestones

1938 Earliest films include "Double or Quits" and "Simply Terrific"
    1944 Began playing leading roles in British films with "Kiss the Bride Goodbye"
    1945 Went to Hollywood (date approximate)
    1946 First American film, "The Secret Heart"
    1950 First film opposite Louis Hayward, "Fortunes of Captain Blood"
    1950 Began playing leading roles in American films
    1957 Was a panelist on the NBC-TV game show, "High Low Quiz"
    1961 Returned to primarily stage work after "Snow White and the Three Stooges"
    1962 Successfully played in the drama "Calculated Risk" on Broadway opposite husband Joseph Cotten
    1968 Returned to films to play a role in "The Killing of Sister George"
    1969 Acted opposite Cotten in the Japanese-American co-production, "Latitude Zero"
    Christopher T. George
    Editor, Ripperologist
    Editor, Loch Raven Review
    http://christophertgeorge.blogspot.com/
    Chris on Flickr and on MySpace

"Shiver me timbers and pass the grog Jim'

I remember those pirate pictures well and she was a beauty, dark flashing eyes, long dark hair and an off the shoulder blouse. made your pieces of eight tremble I can tell yer! As comely a whench as ever sailed the Spanish Main.

(Ben Gunn will vouch to that or I'll stop his cheese ration.)

Thanks all,for the info',
    it made me wonder how many other "unsung" scousers are out there, though some maybe, would rather the world didn't know,as in one interview,Patricia Medina states she is from London!?!
    Steve.

p.s. Have you settled down now,Samp