Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: St Andrew's Church Rodney Street

Quote Originally Posted by Howie View Post
    No! - I think the Council are handing it over for £1 after spending two hundred and fifty grand on it.

---------- Post added at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 AM ----------

See http://councillors.liverpool.gov.uk/....aspx?ID=84170 for further information.
    Since it's going to a for-profit entity (I presume) they could have at least put a future pay back scheme into place - even if stretched out over 50 years of the 999 year lease.

No! - I think the Council are handing it over for £1 after spending two hundred and fifty grand on it.

---------- Post added at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 AM ----------

See http://councillors.liverpool.gov.uk/....aspx?ID=84170 for further information.
    Thanks Howie for clarifying that..... that's the article i was referring from.

The Council are really generous when it comes to giving taxpayers money away arn't they mate !

collegepudding

There is a need, given the current state of the economy, to reconsider priorities for public expenditure. I think it would now be increasingly difficult to justify the high cost of regeneration projects such as this given the cuts that are having to be made elsewhere.

You could equally ask whether we should continue to be publically funding events such as the Mathew St. Festival.

You could equally ask whether we should continue to be publically funding events such as the Mathew St. Festival.
    Since the Mathew St. festival benefits the local bars/hotels/resturants wouldn't it be rerasonable for them to sponsor it.

In Tucson the monthly event/festival - Second Saturday Downtown - is run by the local businesses -

http://www.2ndsaturdaysdowntown.com/about/

There should be no reason this won't work in Liverpool...

Quote Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
    There should be no reason this won't work in Liverpool...
    I think you would have problems getting business to sponsor it given the large cost and the current economic climate (despite the massive returns), or getting people to pay for it given that it has been free for so long. I suspect that if public funding was withdrawn that would be the end of it.

I wonder if the plans have taken account of McKenzie's pyramid tomb in the cemetery. I'm not sure that all students would be able to view its existence as conducive to a quiet and peaceful atmosphere... Always assuming the legend is a true one, that is, and not just some Tom Slemen nonsense...

True - there can't be many student residences with their own graveyard.

....or their own satanic gambling den!

Keeping It Real !!!!!!!!! ItsaZappathing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Doh View Post
    I wonder if the plans have taken account of McKenzie's pyramid tomb in the cemetery. I'm not sure that all students would be able to view its existence as conducive to a quiet and peaceful atmosphere... Always assuming the legend is a true one, that is, and not just some Tom Slemen nonsense...
    As if it was true. Nice story but it isn't true.

I think you would have problems getting business to sponsor it given the large cost and the current economic climate (despite the massive returns), or getting people to pay for it given that it has been free for so long. I suspect that if public funding was withdrawn that would be the end of it.
    A pity, the Tucson events are free, but bring many people to downtown who don't normally go there regularly, like me...

The events are free but we spend money on beer and dinner that we wouldn't spend there normally. We usually meet friends there, so there is a multiplier effect on numbers. The Tucson economic climate isn't good either, but the merchants seem to work together on this one.

Liverpool population is around 400,000 and 1,300,000 in the urban area.
    Tucson is 500,000 and 1,000,000 in the local area, so sizes are similar...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12