Page 51 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4149505152 LastLast

Thread: Ships gallery

Blog Entries

Hi Oudeis,
    I'm still crook,had to have an operation postponed on Wednesday because my boilers are not working properlyn Anyone out there got a lung to spare?
    In your last post you mentioned seamen being operated on for appendicitis while at sea. I heard some dire tales of some men who developed peritonitis and then dying because of insufficient medical skills. I was lucky,I had mine taken out by mistake when I was in Lisbon ( I wrote about it in Hullo Old Home)
    Well Spring is now upon us and it is time for sorting out the summer vacation, cruising is now the number one growth area you are spoilt for choice,but beware of the cruises at the lower end of the price scale,you might end up on something like this............................

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picasa24 (Custom) (Medium).jpg 
Views:	416 
Size:	130.0 KB 
ID:	19296.
    BrianD

Blog Entries

I'll get back to you Brian, I am a bit "tired & emotional" at the moment.
    All the best with your dry-docking.

Blog Entries

Default Hospital Ship Maine

This is another wonderful Thameside study by Charles Dixon,sadly there was no information other than the ships name and where she was anchored.Old Kong will be the first to notice what seems to be an anomaly. She is British and is flying the blue ensign at her stern, however she is flying the Stars and Stripes on her aftermast and the Union flag on her mizzen,whilst the Red Cross is in its rightful place on the foremast . What could be the reason for the flag array?
    BrianD

Name:	Picasa27.jpg 
Views:	460 
Size:	3.94 MB 
ID:	19356

Blog Entries

Brian(s) I wonder if this would take your mind from your troubles...

http://shipfinder.co/

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

Happy to report that the zoom-in feature has a great deal going for it.

Blog Entries

Since 1900 all RFA hospital ships had been called Maine. Maybe she had American patients on board.

Blog Entries

Default Victoria & Albert

Kenneth D. Shoesmith,being a mariner himself, was more than familiar with the lines and angles of a ship, he did many study's stern on which seemed to draw the viewer into the picture. In this picture he portrays the Royal yacht,Victoria & Albert off the Isle of Wight for Cowes week,this was done for Royal Mail calender sometime in the '20's
    BrianD

Name:	Picasa29 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	366 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	19370

Blog Entries

I saw the Royal Yacht V&A at Whale Island, near Portsmouth, when I was on a gunnery course there. in 1950 she was laid up and awaiting scrapping.
    K Shoesmith was a Chief Officer with Cunard.
    When I was on the QUEEN MARY LAST week I found a room with a few of his paintings, when I get my photo card bak I will post them.

Blog Entries

http://www.tvguide.co.uk/detail.asp?id=90667127

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 PM ----------

I caught a little of the above programme tonight regarding the sinking of The Empress of Ireland in 1914. Lots of technical seafaring stuff. I note the programme is to be re-shown tomorrow, as the link will explain.

Blog Entries

Default Victoria & Albert

This is another classic Kenneth D. Shoesmith portrait,again it is of the Royal Yacht Victoria and Albert,but this time it was not for a company brochure but to commemorate a special occassion. The Victoria and Albert was carrying their majesties King George V and Queen Mary from Holyhead to Belfast for the opening of the First Session of the Parliament of Northern Ireland in June 1921. The yacht is pictured passing the Harland and Wolff shipyard and we can see in the distance the proud dome of Belfast town hall.

TTACH=CONFIG]20665[/ATTACH]
    BrianD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picasa33 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	20665  

Blog Entries

This study is simply titled "Wartime Traffic on the Thames",the painting is far from simple.The artist,John Platt,has evoked a scene that took place during the bombing of Surrey Commercial Docks.We can see the warehouses in the background still smouldering from the previous nights bombing and the reddish light illuminating the river and vessels is from the blazes that are still burning from this evenings blitz, We can see the naval vessels heading upstream towards the inferno ,whilst the barges and lighters are fleeing the flames.You will note that the MTB has its mast lowered so that she can negotiate the low bridges on the upper Thames,
    BrianD

ATTACH=CONFIG]20676[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picasa14 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	376 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	20676  

Blog Entries

Rather belatedly the news comes, via his obituary, of the death of Douglas Faulkner. He being the technical brains behind the inquiry into the sinking of the MV Derbyshire...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...lkner-obituary

Blog Entries

The Gannet

This vessel was built in1879 and is a product of the transition from sail to steam, She was classified by the Royal Navy as a sloop,and was designed to police the trade routes and colonies of the rapidly expanding British Empire. Having both forms of propulsion meant that she could cruise independently in the remote parts of the Pacific,Indian and South Atlantic Oceans,where coaling stations were few and far between.
    The Victorian expression "Send a Gunboat" led to Gannet seeing action in many "hot spots" as well as carrying out anti slavery patrols in the Red Sea. Her operational life ended in 1895 and she survived as static sea training school on the Hamble. She is now fully restored to her orginal finery and is shown here at Chatham Dockyard. The large housings in the background were where the Navy built and maintained her wooden walls and are well worth a visit.
    BrianD

Name:	Picasa29 (Medium) (2).jpg 
Views:	377 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	20698
    Last edited by brian daley; 04-20-2011 at 12:54 AM. Reason: Foul Up

Blog Entries

Default Shoesmiths Maritime Art

Here are two posters that were designed by Kenneth D. Shoesmith for the grandly named Empire Marketing Board,an organisation that was created for the fostering of trade within the British Empire. It was set up in 1926 and abolished in 1936,and within that short time span the agency used some of the leading artist's of that time to create more 700 posters that were great works of art.The first poster shows the Sinhalese wharfies in Colombo0loading cargo bound for London, while the second posters shows us the Chinese talleyman checking the bales as they are toted to the quayside in Penang,in both posters you will note that the cargo bears the logo EMB. I have a few more which I shall post here soon,
    BrianD

Name:	Picasa33.jpg 
Views:	401 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	20991Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picasa30.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	20990

[IMG][/IMG]

Nordic Copenhagan,tanker built 2005, under the Danish flag used to be Singapore.
    Sailing past the cruise terminal,Liverpool
    THE BEST VITAMIN FOR MAKING FRIENDS ? B.1

My Flickr site: www.flickr.com/photos/exacta2a/

http://flickrhivemind.net/User/exacta2a

Blog Entries

Hi Brian,
    I have the pictures of the Madonna of the Sea by Shoesmith. They are on the Queen Mary in Long Beach.
    I have tried to post them but there is no facility to upload them.
    I will try to email themm to you.
    Cheers.
    Brian.

Page 51 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4149505152 LastLast