Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Liverpool's Irish Community

Quote Originally Posted by Blue70 View Post
    I'm still tracing my Irish ancestors. They're a funny lot they used to marry in the C of E church then baptise the children in the RC church! Must have been cheaper or easier to marry C of E. At least they were'n't prejudiced like a lot people years ago.

There's a useful website called Liverpool History Projects that has RC records from the 1800s that includes a lot of people of Irish origin. It's fairly new it will eventually contain marriage and baptism information for the period when most Irish people came to Liverpool.

Col
    It was British Law. They were forced to marry in CofE Churches because the marriage wasn't legal under British Law if it was in there own Church.

It was changed sometime in the 1900's I believe.

Just as an fyi, do you know right now in British Law a Muslim Hindu Sieke Jew etc etc etc, every religion can marry into the Royal Family and become Queen, any religion except Catholic, even now!

One of the 'heirs to the throne' married a Catholic in the 60's and had to forgo his right to the throne even though he was something like 200th odd in place.

Crazy eh?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by H_Asbo View Post
    Just as an fyi, do you know right now in British Law a Muslim Hindu Sieke Jew etc etc etc, every religion can marry into the Royal Family and become Queen, any religion except Catholic, even now!
    A part of the Royal family are Catholic. Duke of Kent? Anyone can marry into the royal family. It is being the monarch that precludes Catholics. Tony Blair & Brown are trying get this discrimination stopped.

Rewriting the Act of Settlement requires the consent of all 53 Commonwealth countries, and Mr Brown hopes to discuss the proposal at the Commonwealth summit

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...holic-ban.html

The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    A part of the Royal family are Catholic. Duke of Kent? Anyone can marry into the royal family. It is being the monarch that precludes Catholics. Tony Blair & Brown are trying get this discrimination stopped.

Rewriting the Act of Settlement requires the consent of all 53 Commonwealth countries, and Mr Brown hopes to discuss the proposal at the Commonwealth summit

The Act of Settlement 1701 means a member of the Royal Family marrying a Catholic relinquishes their right of succession to the British throne, the Act does not include marriage to an Anglican who subsequently becomes a Catholic.

That Law only stands if marrying a catholic, marry a jew hindi seike etc etc etc and you can still carry on as normal.

Oh and the duke of kents wife converted to catholicism, she wasn't a catholic when they married!

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post

Thats what I said in my original post?

Why are you telling me what i already said?

I asked about this anomalie about why some catholics married in C of E churches and received this information:-

"Many Catholic couples married at C of E churches. They always baptised their children 'properly' but I think they considered marriage to be as much a legal as a religious requirement. Perhaps it was cheaper and easier to get married at a C of E church. At a Catholic church you would have to obtain a 'certificate' (instead of banns) and then pay both the priest and the registrar. At a C of E church three readings of the banns would suffice plus the vicar acted as the registrar.

Catholic couples marrying elsewhere was considered to be such a problem that the church introduced a new marriage law in 1908 making only marriages at Catholic churches valid. It is after this date that the practice of adding the information about subsequent marriages to the baptism entries were introduced. When the marriage parties applied for their baptism details the priest was meant to add the new information but looking at the registers its obvious that some of them were more efficient than others. The absence of marriage information doesn't mean any particular child didn't marry."

Col

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234