Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool's Irish Community

scouserdave

Mum's side were

Irish RCs from Waterford City. My GGF and GGM came over to Liverpool around 1900. They left their first born George over there because he was poorly and went

on to have 8 more kids in Liverpool. Still got loads of the Nash family back in Waterford City.

Dad's side were Scots Presbyterians from Portobello,

just outside Edinburgh. Once again, my GGF and GGM arrived in Liverpool in the early 1900s. Both families lived in the Liverpool 6 area, but my Dad's family

moved out to the Boot Estate when he was young.

I

could only go off the fact my mums old surname was Irish, otherwise I dunno. Par of my dads side have the surnames Molyneux and Burns.

I think Burns

might be Scotish!
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peewak View Post
    i must be the only scouser with out an

irish connection
    The one Beatle they thought would be Irish in decent was Ringo. Not one bit of Irish in him.

Welsh decent is more predominant in Liverpool. 1/3 of all churches in Toxteth had a Welsh connection - and the Welsh Streets.

The Welsh were the builders. They built a lot of the 1800s buildings. The Irish were useless at it.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Quote Originally Posted by peewak View Post
    i must be the only scouser with out an irish

connection
    I don't have any Irish in my family either.

Default FAO twiz

Hi Twiz, have a look at this

thread...

ANCESTRY
    Ermine tastes much the same as sackcloth when there's nothing left to eat.

Default FAO twiz

Hi Twiz, have a look at this

thread...

ANCESTRY
    Ermine tastes much the same as sackcloth when there's nothing left to eat.

Gnomie

I got loads of Irish. from Dublin, Roscommon and Mayo. sure i will find more.

it is very hard tracing in

Ireland, but dont give up as records do turn up. if you can find what county they are from then church records are very good. plus it helps to have family

over there now who do a bit of looking for you

Gnomie

Hibernia. Great site with lots of records http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~hibernia/

Tips..a few ideas

http://www.rootsweb.com/~irlkik/kirisres.htm

Genuk Ireland...more good stuff..

http://www.genuki.org.uk:8080/big/irl/

now get started

Default Irish food

If you guys are missing the good old Irish food like Galtee cheese & Bolands biscuits, barry's tea, Tayto crisps etc then why not visit The Irish Shop, Purveyor of traditional Irish Food Products all your favorites can be delivered direct to your door.

Quote Originally Posted by The Irish Shop View Post
    If you guys are missing the good old Irish food like Galtee cheese & Bolands biscuits, barry's tea, Tayto crisps etc then why not visit The Irish Shop, Purveyor of traditional Irish Food Products all your favorites can be delivered direct to your door.
    No Stews

DO they sell Spam I wonder

I SAID SPAM

SPAM
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Smile

I didn't know I had any Irish ancestors until I started doing my family tree. I have discovered ancestors on my Dad's side from County Cavan, Waterford or Wexford (stupid census people!) and Belfast and more but the census info lists them only as "Ireland". They lived in the Vauxhall area in the 1800s ie Denison Street, Stewart Street, Denbigh Street, Porter Street, Regent Street, Clay Street and Sand Street. The rest of the family came from England, Wales, Scotland and the Isle Of Man.

Col

Debra

Default Liverpool Irish community

My great-grandparents came to Liverpool in the 18's too , My Great grandmothers name was Sarah Farrelly , she lived on the dock road , when her children were little , she fell or caught fire , she burned to death , my nana and her sisters and brothers had to be raised in an orphanage ... My nana's name was Annie Farrelly.. My Nana told me that her mother 'Sarah' had given birth to her first child Mary Farrelly , on the Irish boat sailing to Liverpool ..poor woman

Debra

Quote Originally Posted by Waterways View Post
    I can think of better ways of spending public money than on a statue that will be vandalised.
    I think a statue is an excellent idea .

I'm still tracing my Irish ancestors. They're a funny lot they used to marry in the C of E church then baptise the children in the RC church! Must have been cheaper or easier to marry C of E. At least they were'n't prejudiced like a lot people years ago.

There's a useful website called Liverpool History Projects that has RC records from the 1800s that includes a lot of people of Irish origin. It's fairly new it will eventually contain marriage and baptism information for the period when most Irish people came to Liverpool.

Col

Blog Entries

Hi Blue70,

This may help explain why?

In 1778 a 'Catholic Relief Act' allowed Catholics to own property, inherit land and join the army. Hardline Protestant mobs reacted in the Gordon Riots in 1780, attacking any building in London which was associated with Catholicism or owned by Catholics.

With the Roman Catholic Relief Act of 1829 allowing full RC clergy representation in England, and followed by the mass immigration of catholics from Ireland, with the famine - led to an easing of the earlier discrimination. More RC churches...and more in RC marriage ceremonies.

Daz

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast