Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New Undergroud Station in Church Street?

Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post

I think the feasibility of using the old high level is not even remotely likely, due to other points made in this thread such as the tunnel not actually going anywhere anymore.

andyk, I'm sure a single platform could be squeezed in at high level, but I have no idea how the line would rejoin the line to take you to the airport. But having said that, I don't know why this would be done as any rebuild/relocation of Central could take this into consideration and have it terminate in the 'new' more modern underground station.

I totally agree ! There is little chance of the High Level site being reused as a station NEVERTHELESS
    it is fun to envisage such projects and discuss them.Anyone intelligent will enjoy the debate without the need to put down or ridicule someone who innocently proposes something "unusual" such as the reopening of Exchange !

A last word on the feasability of connecting High Level to the link:
    As things stand,the old tunnel goes nowhere,as it was deepened to run into
    Central.However,it would not be a huge engineering task to construct a ramp that would maintain the original tunnels depth and reconnect the disused length.The tunnel is certainly wide enough !

Pie in the sky ? Perhaps ! In anycase I'm not a fanatic like Waterways and I'm happy to let my "pet-project" descend into the darkness of the YoLiverpool archives !

Living the Dream... Scouseinmanc's Avatar

Hi AndyK

Are you the same guy who posts on the Southport Past forum?

Rgds, SiM

Blog Entries

Gents, calm down. Some good points made all around.

I suggested re-using Exchange because it is still there and can take overspill of out of Merseyside trains from Lime Street. It would need an underground passage to Moorfields station.

Local Metro traffic has to be segregated from North West and beyond.

Forget a station at Central High Level as it to be built on.

Implementing this Circle Line does a hell of a lot for the city. Click here:
    Circle Line

St Helens trains can run around the circle and go to the Wirral if need be. The same with a Wrexham connection too. Central only has through traffic making matters easier - may need extending still though. Local traffic is then kept out of Lime St giving extra space. If Lime St can't cope then Exchange is still there to take out of Merseyside traffic.

That is fine.
    1. Inner-city regenerated by a Circle Line using a comprehensive system using old tunnels.
    2. All local rail traffic is then on the full Merseyrail system, giving great flexibility.
    3. Capacity to overflow from Lime Street.
    4. Maybe Lime St is Maglev and Exchange takes much of the rest.

The scope is there. I think all agree that

That leaves John Lennon airport. The best is a dedicated Merseyrail station, and connections to Manchester, North West Main Line, Manchester airport and others too. Will they do it? Maybe eventually.

A stop-gap can be dual pick up tram-trains, that run on Merseyrail and in its tunnels and on roads from a convenient point from South Parkway to the airport.

In the background is the Wrexham Line that is rumored to be overhead wires to Bidston and third rail into Liverpool. Using the old James St to Central tunnel they can reach Central and go beyond direct to John Lennon, hopefully to a new station there. However they can drop to the roads on the last mile to the airport using tram-trains.

The priorities that promote the city and regenerate quickly are:
    1. Circle Line (this kills many birds with one stone, brings in St Helens and all from St Helens to the centre and is hub and spreads traffic around)
    2. John Lennon airport connections
    3. Wrexham line brought in to the centre with airport connection.
    4. Lime St overflow at Exchange if need is there
    Last edited by Waterways; 02-18-2009 at 11:41 PM.
    The new Amsterdam at Liverpool?
    Save Liverpool Docks and Waterways - Click

Deprived of its unique dockland waters Liverpool
    becomes a Venice without canals, just another city, no
    longer of special interest to anyone, least of all the
    tourist. Would we visit a modernised Venice of filled in
    canals to view its modern museum describing
    how it once was?

Giving Liverpool a full Metro - CLICK
    Rapid-transit rail: Everton, Liverpool & Arena - CLICK

Save Royal Iris - Sign Petition

Just to point out about the discussions regarding central to be re built, new platforms etc. This is ot going to happen, although with a unlimited pot of money it would be great for the city

The station has no plans to be moved, closed etc for rebuilding. However later on this year it will be going through an extensive refurbishment mainly on the concourse area with a new ticket office/shop put in where the existing shop is now.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyb1978 View Post
    Just to point out about the discussions regarding central to be re built, new platforms etc. This is ot going to happen, although with a unlimited pot of money it would be great for the city

The station has no plans to be moved, closed etc for rebuilding. However later on this year it will be going through an extensive refurbishment mainly on the concourse area with a new ticket office/shop put in where the existing shop is now.
    Considering that Network Rail have not decided yet (and won't for at least six years yet), it is a tad unlikely that you know. Maybe you should read the 100 odd pages of tthe RUS.

Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    Considering that Network Rail have not decided yet (and won't for at least six years yet), it is a tad unlikely that you know. Maybe you should read the 100 odd pages of tthe RUS.
    Like i said. There are no plans. You quite rightly point out Network Rail have yet to decide, which in my opinion means there are no plans. I did not say there never will be but at this time and for the immediate future there are no plans. The station is having a refurbishment mostly to the concourse area later this year.
    So yes i do know that there are no plans AS YET and there is a refurbishment taking place. The reason i know, i work for Network Rail and deal with local projects. Hence we are concentrating on delap works at a number of stations over the next few months also.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyb1978 View Post
    Like i said. There are no plans. You quite rightly point out Network Rail have yet to decide, which in my opinion means there are no plans. I did not say there never will be but at this time and for the immediate future there are no plans. The station is having a refurbishment mostly to the concourse area later this year.
    So yes i do know that there are no plans AS YET and there is a refurbishment taking place. The reason i know, i work for Network Rail and deal with local projects. Hence we are concentrating on delap works at a number of stations over the next few months also.
    Hence the first post of this thread containing the words "These long term solutions" and the fact that it is stated that they are only thoughts and not proposals?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234