Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Thread: inacityliving

In a week that has seen celebrity legends such as Tony Curtis and Norman Wisdom depart this earth, I would like to pay tribute to one of my own local legends who has sadly died, Mr Joe Devine.

I first met Jobo when I was in Primary school in the early 70s as he would walk and train his Golden Retrievers, Caldy and then Duke on the fields near the school. Little did I know that our paths would cross again some twenty years later when I moved into 16 Grosvenor Street and became his street neighbour as he lived in 4B.

A humble and private man, it wasn't until about 10 years after this that I was told of his fascinating archive of 1980s photographs which he then kindly allowed me to use in my 3rd book and then extensively on my site. He appeared in Paul Sudbury's film documentary 'Gardens of Stone' offering some first hand experience of the area when the new tunnel was being excavated, talking of how kids were deprived of sleep as dynamite was blasting during its construction.

'Lizzie', the latest Golden Retriever in his long line of faithful friends had only just died a few weeks ago too.

My heartfelt sympathies go out to his family.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Joe Devine. R.I.P.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

R.I.P Joe

Thanks for the photo's
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Sorry to hear this news.

I didn't know Joe Devine but have heard many formers speak well of him.

Very close to my heart as living in Gerard Gardens through those first impressionable years, I was just a few minutes walk through the subway to hours and hours of fun in the fountain, footy in St. Johns Gardens and aimlessly wandering around The Walker Art Gallery and the Museum.

This building was built in the 70s to replace the old TGWU building on Christian Street and has just recently had a facelift and been given the new name of Jack Jones House - No.1 Churchill Way (the name of the flyovers)

The statues and sunken flower beds made great hiding places for mammoth hide n' seek sessions in St. Johns Gardens though we never uprooted any flowers. Nevertheless, it didn't stop the 'parkie' legging it after us from his little cocky watchmans hut built under the staircase

When are were a lad, this were known as the poly tech. Now part of the ever expanding John Moores University, it's gone all poosh.

The walkways at the back of the Museum were great for going down on your bike, particularly if you had dodgy brakes like me. The front one was quite sharp though as I found out one day when going arse over tit.

That building that replaced the old TGWU building on Christian Street looks pretty good now Ged. I always thought it was a bit of an eyesore. Love the 'misty' one of St John's Gardens
    It is Accomplished

Thanks Mark.

Yes, amazing what a facelift does. The sandcastle, built around the same time and of the same ilk has plans for an upgrade too.

Even the likes of Lawtons and Byrom st JMU have had tasteful reclads.

You should list this building is awesome

The St John's Gardens one Ged.

You took that when you were waiting for me and Mart. You were in the wrong place again Ha Ha.We were up on Vauxy Road.

Message from Mart.......

crackle crackle....i've got a lift into town to the bottom of William Brown Street so see you there...crackle crackle...over.

Now what would you make of that?

Ha Ha Lol

Good pics of the face lifted TG&W building Ged. I knew some guys who used to box in the old Transport House in Islington.

London Road in 1921. (LRO)

Do I take you're searching the aerial photies now,Ged?

I only went with 20 streets in mind George, streets people has asked me to look out for, there were 30 odd requests but only 20 were there so having made the effort, I got some other folders out. I couldn't beleive 1 file, dozens of air raid photos, the lady said only a handful of people have ever requested it in years si I remarked that perhaps it's best left out on the general shelves. I will be passing them onto Spike for the Wartime site - a dozen interior shots of the Customs House and some St. Nics and St. Lukes pics i've never seen before. Oriel Chambers too.

Right,so search for aerial photo's of Everton. there's prolly more aerial photies all over liverpool.

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast