Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Liverpool Parks and Grounds

The council have applied to have lots of events at our parks leading up to Capital of Culture so we can expect a lot of good events like this in the future.

Here's some pictures taken last Spring in our beautiful Sefton Park.

Blog Entries

Here's some of Sefton Park taken today plus the wonderful Palm House:

Court Hey Park, just off Roby Rd near to Rocky Lane, the home of the National Wildflower Centre, I never knew this park existed:

Last edited by Kev; 06-17-2006 at 03:06 PM.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Excellent Kev that African oye festival was seen by millions around the World this year.

Blog Entries

Yes, some pics here.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

All smashing pics.

I've heard of Court Hey Park but I've never been in it.

Blog Entries

A MOBILE police station is to be moved into Liverpool's flagship park after invasions by hundreds of teenage rowdies.

The police "pod" will be used as a makeshift control point in Calderstones Park to combat the problem and fight anti-social behaviour by large groups of youths.

The move follows flash-points last weekend when police, community support officers and city council security staff confronted up to 250 teenagers who had gathered in the south Liverpool park as the international tennis festival took place just yards away.

Many of the young people, some as young as 12, had travelled from as far away as Bootle and Kirkby.

There have been two arrests and three fixed penalty fines issued for disorder offences, Merseyside Police said last night.

Insp Shaun Bradbury, Merseyside Police neighbourhood inspector, said last night: "This problem has arisen because of mobile phones. Young people are texting each other to detail gathering points such as Calderstones Park. Most of the youths are not causing a problem, but there are a minority of potential troublemakers. The large number of young people gathering in the park is intimidating.

"We are working with CityWatch and the council's Youth Service to try to reduce the number of teenagers gathering in large groups. We do not want the parks to become no-go areas for young people, but we will be explaining to them the intimidatory nature of large gangs gathering in the park.

"Our operation will continue for as long as the gangs are gathering there. We would also urge parents to be aware of where their children are going at night and whether they are drinking alcohol."

Police have seized large quantities of alcohol from under-age youngsters, some as young as 12, and a number of youths were searched for drugs.

Last night, council executive member Cllr Dave Antrobus, who heads the community safety directorate, admitted that there had been problems at the park during the past week.

He said: "I am confident that the resources now in place will adequately stem the tide. Anti-social behaviour has definitely increased in and around Calderstones Park, and the obvious concern is that as the summer holidays loom, the situation will get worse.

"Calderstones is one of our best-used parks in terms of public usage and we don't want that to change."

The number of council wardens and police officers has been increased in the area and the police pod will be introduced into the park before this weekend, in readiness for any new invasions by young people.

It is also likely to be in place on other nights if necessary, to help reassure any members of the public who wish to use the park.

The problem of large gangs of teenagers meeting in the parks of south Liverpool started some weeks ago when a heatwave hit Merseyside. The gangs have gathered in other parks, including Camp Hill and Childwall Woods.

In Calderstones, teenage troublemakers are thought to have been responsible for ripping up decorative flower beds and even setting fire to shrubbery.

One regular park user from Mossley Hill said last night: "The teenagers just seemed to arrive out of nowhere and headed for one gathering spot.

"Many of them, aged only about 14, were drinking wine and lager and alcopops. Mostly they were just in high spirits and not causing any damage, but a number of them were menacing. It would only take a simple flashpoint to cause a major problem.

"There were a number of police cars at the scene and I saw one security van chasing after three boys on bicycles and then searching them for drugs. I heard one of the officers say to one of the teenagers that he could smell cannabis on his breath."

One of the big fears is that some of the teenagers could be carrying knives and after drinking binges could potentially become violent.

The police and the city council have powers to issue anti-social behaviour orders on specific areas such as parks to control yobbish behaviour. So far, this move has been avoided but it remains an option.

Cllr Antrobus said: "I would not like to see these orders used to control gangs in parks because it would merely migrate the problem elsewhere. We need more imaginative ways of controlling this, particularly as we head toward the school summer holidays."

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

THE attraction which started Liverpool's original 20/08 day is hoping hundreds will flock to its doors in 2006.

The National Wildflower Centreat Court Hey Park in Knowsley is giving everyone in Merseyside the chance to get closer to nature on August 20.

The centre is offering free entrance in honour of this year's 20/08 celebrations.

It will also hold a special creative and environmental workshop.

20/08 has been a highlight of Liverpool's cultural calendar since 2003, when the wildflower centre decided to provide free entrance on 20 August - 20/08 - to mark the city's Capital of Culture success.

Liverpool Culture Company extended this idea by asking other organ-isations to make "offers" for the day, and established 20/08 as a yearly opportunity to celebrate the rich cultural life of the city.

Council leader Warren Bradley said: "The National Wildflower Centre made the first ever 20/08 offer back in 2003, so I'm delighted they're still supporting the event four years later.

"It also shows how organisations from across the north west can getinvolved in celebrating our Capital of Culture status.

"It's a fantastic opportunity for groups and businesses to promote themselves while giving people the chance to sample Liverpool's fantastic cultural assets." Places on the centre's creative and environmental workshop are limited, and should be booked in advance on 0151-738 1913.

Continuing the environmental theme, Adlam Road Allotments in Fazakerley are opening their doors on 20/08 to encourage people to grow their own greens.

Allotment members will be laying on activities to launch their growing scheme, including a tour of the site. Children must be accompanied.

The deadline for groups and organ-isations to make 20/08 offers is Friday, July14. Call Catherine O'Brien on 0151-233 4399.

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

Video Nation: Summer - Summer is here, despite the weather. Liverpool Ranger Richard Baker finds the signs of summer all around Sefton Park.

Watch this video
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Blog Entries

A MAJOR £1.4m revamp of a stretch of the South Liverpool waterfront, aimed at attracting tourists in 2008, begins next month.

Over a mile of Otterspool Promenade will get a facelift including grass steps for open air theatre and a space for kite flying. continues...
    Last edited by Kev; 07-11-2006 at 12:14 PM.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Well this sounds fantastic,& its great that they've got local people on board.After looking at the photo & reading the article it seems like they should have something to cater for most age groups there.Certainly an improvement & who knows if this can be achieved maybe the "Peoples Panel" idea" could spread citywide & create pride amongst the general public once again.It would be nice if young people could be included in this as well then maybe they would look after things instead of wrecking them.
    Does anyone know if the youth of Liverpool will be involved in any future plans like this in the future.

Great to hear they are doing stuff down there.

Otterspool has always been a great place to spend some time with the family so let's hope they do a good job with it,new seating to what is a stunning vista is essential so I'm glad to see this high on their agenda.

Default Hilary's blog goes visual...

Dear all,

I promised some time ago to let you know when I'd learnt how to put photos on my weblog (www.hilaryburrage.com) .... well, at last I've learned!

A number of the themes I've illustrated so far are about Sefton Park and Wavertree Botanics etc. (These are listed in my posting of today; and I'll be doing some more as soon as I have another few free hours.)

If you'd like to take a look, that would be great. Hope you like the pics.

Best,
    Hilary

Hi Hilary,i've left you a couple of messages on your site one about Newsham Park.I used to live behind it briefly on Fairfield Crescent around 1993.It really is a true green oasis.I feel privaleged to have lived there & regretted leaving there ever since.Is it true they have now built a college on part of this beautiful park,if so then it's unforgivable.Grade two listed as well.I noticed somewhere that even The Bishop of Liverpool got involved in this as well,although a little misguided if you ask me.How on earth was they able to get away with this.Im sure there must have been a lot of opposition to this at the time.
    What about the brown sites surely there must have been somewhere more suitable,im disgusted with the City Council if they forced this on people then they should be ashamed of themselves & i say this as an ex Lib Dem member/supporter.

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast