Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kensington District

Blog Entries

Default Kensington District

A NEW fire station is the centrepiece of a £10m plan to transform a former ice rink site in Liverpool.

It will be built at a busy road junction in Kensington if the scheme wins council backing.

The station would replace the ageing Low Hill premises and be thrown open to the community.

Shops and offices are also planned for the derelict area, also once the site of a bingo hall, at the corner of Prescot Road and Beech Street.

Modern homes for Prescot Road and nearby Lister Road are the third part of the ambitious project, which would create a new neighbourhood centre.

It is hoped it will bring back shoppers and stop the drain of residents out of deprived Kensington.

The site, passed by thousands of motorists going in and out of the city each day, is currently surrounded by advertising hoardings.

The plans were revealed today by Kensington Regeneration, the organisation which has £62m of government cash to create jobs and transform people's lives. more

That's by Howie's isnt it? Any thoughts people? Ceratinly would be great!
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

and stop the drain of residents out of deprived Kensington
    And what is demolishing all the Victorian terraces going to do?

Nothing really.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Quote Originally Posted by kev
    Modern homes for Prescot Road and nearby Lister Road are the third part of the ambitious project, which would create a new neighbourhood centre.

It is hoped it will bring back shoppers and stop the drain of residents out of deprived Kensington.
    Howie, this translates to:

Quote Originally Posted by julia
    Modern homes will create a new neighbourhood centre for those wealthy enough to afford the homes.

It is hoped that new and affluent shoppers will come to Kensington. We welcome the continued drain of poor minority residents out of deprived Kensington, but we really really really want some wealthy residents to come spend money here.

If it means tearing down every Victorian and Georgian house in sight and replacing it with modern Bauhaus architecture, then by God, we'll do it.

Honestly, not sure why I have to translate. Fortunately for you, British politic-speak is very similar to American politic-speak.

I am tryin' to look on the bright side. I mean what's the theft of workers' homes and pensions here compared to the murder of tens of thousands of innocent civilians abroad?

The British Labour Party has lost the plot. Campaign for a new workers' party here.

'Bling' buildings destroy history, says designer

Kevin McCloud attacks the 'look at me' architecture that is blighting British towns

By Steve Bloomfield
    Published: 09 April 2006

Britain's towns and cities are losing their sense of identity and heritage because of the "wanton and transparent destruction" of unique buildings, a leading design expert says.

Kevin McCloud, presenter of Channel 4's Grand Designs, launched a blistering attack on local authorities, architects and developers for demolishing old buildings and replacing them with shiny new structures that, he said, are nothing more than "building bling".

He accused councils of being eager to tear down buildings that define the character of an area, replacing them with housing and commercial developments that "could belong anywhere". He added: "We are in the middle of one of the biggest construction booms since the war. For 50 years, we have been complaining about how the post-war construction boom unnecessarily erased so many good buildings. But we are making similar mistakes now, in the pursuit of bling.".

McCloud has been campaigning to save the Foundry House, a Victorian glove factory in Yeovil that was to make way for an "urban village". Objections and petitions were submitted to council leaders in a bid to save the historic structure and turn it into a community centre.

And the design guru has cited other buildings in danger, including the Churchill House and The Forum in Bath. "They are both part of Bath's history. There is a lot of vanity at work here, the vanity of politicians, architects, developers. They all want to create things that stand out and say, 'Look at me'. I am making a plea for forgotten buildings. They all have a historic value. If you remove them you are slowly unpicking history. There is a ghastly kind of utopian ideology about it."

Under the Pathfinder scheme in northern England, thousands of houses deemed unfit for human habitation by Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott in cities including Liverpool and Newcastle will be demolished.

ALREADY GONE: Architectural heritage too late to save

Dunlop Semtex Rubber Factory, Brynmawr, South Wales

Built 1951

Demolished 2001

What we lost: Stunning vaults and technically innovative concrete roofs

Greenside Villa, Wentworth, Surrey

Built 1937

Demolished 2005

What we lost: A house that to some was a brilliant example of modern architecture, but golfers said it ruined their views

Tricorn Centre, Portsmouth

Built 1966

Demolished 2004

What we lost: "A design of the times," said Owen Luder, the architect who designed the controversial concrete shopping centre

AT RISK: Classic sites on design death row

Churchill House, Bath

Built 1932

Status: Due for demolition next year. One of the city's 20th-century gems, it was built for the local electricity company, and makes way for a bus station and shops

Foundry House, Yeovil

Built 1872

Status: Spared from the bulldozer's ball for now by Department for Culture's intervention. Local people hope to convert the former glove factory into a community centre

Kensington terraced houses, Liverpool

Built 1850

Status: While old terraced housing in Manchester is transformed into trendy living space, typical Liverpool homes are being razed

Source: The Independent

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Howie

Kensington terraced houses, Liverpool

Built 1850

Status: While old terraced housing in Manchester is transformed into trendy living space, typical Liverpool homes are being razed

Source: The Independent

My grandad used to work in the ice rink
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Did you used to go there Kev ??
    I was there every Saturday - not to skate - but because my nan was a cloakroom attendant ( I've got photos of her working there) .. also my mum worked in the cafe, I can remember popcorn from there and the milk shakes. My aunty worked on the sweet kiosk for a while.
    What years are you talking about Kev ? I'm talking about the early 1960s. The manager was called Mr Tree.
    My nan used to say that it was surprising how many famous people went there in those days, she got to meet actor Terry Thomas and Frankie Howerd.
    Do you remember the kids disco there upstairs ? I used to go there when I was about 13.

Blog Entries

I can vaguely recall walking there, took forever, when I was about 5 years old, probably even younger. That would have made it about 1992

Nar, joking.......the year would have been about 1979/80.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default Silver Blades

I went the kids disco - that was great. Used to go on a saturday morning and wait outside with about 500 screaming kids - they used to play all the latest records while you were skating - it was 2 busses from Garston, but my nan lived in Edge Hill so I used to walk back to her house after I had finished for a cup of tea and a cake. We used to go to the ice rink for our PE when we were in 5th year - they couldn't get us to do much else. My theory on ice skating was the faster you skated the less chance you had of falling over! The problem was in the 70s when your flares had to cover your platforms (Lindy - I hope you will back me up here) they had to be rolled up over your ice skates - one day while I has skating like a demon round my flares went under the blade and stopped me dead! I flew through the air and crashed into the barrier - black and blue from top to toe!! PE was very dangerous in those days. The Ice rink was brilliant

Blog Entries

Ice ice baby

sorry
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Default Kensington Summer Fun Day 2006

This year's Kensington Summer Fun Day takes place on 8 July and organisers are confident that the 2006 event will be bigger and better than ever.

The fun starts at 11am and goes on until 4pm at Fairfield Police Club, with all the attractions of previous years plus new stalls, performances and exhibitions.

Entry is free and everyone from the Kensington area is invited, not only to attend but to get involved!

More than 40 local community groups are once again providing a variety of activities including stalls, workshops, performances and exhibitions. There is also a funfair, sports sessions, music and dance workshops.

The fun day presents a great opportunity for organisations and community groups to showcase their work in Kensington - and for local people to find out what is on offer.
    http://www.kensingtonregeneration.co...=139&archive=0

Blog Entries

PLANS have been submitted to move Low Hill fire station into the heart of Kensington. more
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

We’ve been left on the wrong side of the poverty divide
    Apr 10 2007
    by Nick Coligan, Liverpool Echo

A NORTH-SOUTH divide has developed in a deprived Liverpool neighbourhood, it was claimed today.

Community leaders say regeneration of the south end of Kensington and Fairfield contrasts with poverty and deprivation in the north.

Prescot Road is drawn as the unofficial dividing line.

But council chiefs said the entire area should benefit from the £62m Kensington Regeneration scheme.

But residents on the “wrong” side of the road say they are losing out and highlight rundown Phythian Park, in Kensington, and derelict houses around Newsham Park.

Story continues...

Stephen Faragher, 50, of Romer Road, Kensington, said: “I feel it a lot because I am six foot away from being included. You get some of the benefits, but are excluded from others.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8FAjsOXwZfY

Kenny Riot Squad La with Scarface music!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6fFXxld5Zbc
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=MctVeLM_TAg

How long will It be till these retards are discovered by Merseyside Police while Merseyside Police are looking for Videos of Hollywood movies on how to arrest these retards themselves?
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast