Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: South Liverpool Kids Homes

Default Mervin Clarke

What can I say, I was in childcare in the sixties, 1963 in fact, I was at New Hayes and I have nothing but praise for John Cross and his staff. I was also at Fernlea childrens home in Quarry st. By any strecth of the imagination I was a handfull I think Frank Gorman was in charge, he did give me the odd clatter but I have to admit I derserved it. From where I came from the place was great. If it had not been for men like Mr Gorman and John Cross I dread to think what may have become of me. I am now nearly sixty and look back on that time with fondness. P.S. John Cross is still alive and I like to think of him as a very good friend. Mervin Clarke, Co Cork Ireland.

Part 1 THE LOCKING AWAY OF A SCALLYWAG FROM BIRKENHEAD

I was a 12 year old scallywag from Birkenhead in 1963 and was sent away for 3 years for nicking stuff and being a pain in the ass. First 8 weeks were spent at a remand centre in Menlove Avenue, I believe John Lennon used to live just up the road. A large house on Menlove Avenue, it was an old stone building surrounded by trees up a winding drive to the front door. I cried myself to sleep for the first week. This was the start of a 3 year reform in order to make me learn right from wrong, I knew what I did was wrong, but what they did to me was worse and unforgivable.

After 8 weeks in the Menlove Avenue's House of Hell it was off to the Redbank assessment centre Newton-le-Willows for an assessment then after about 3 months I was sent to Greystone Heath near Penketh for Sankey, a short walk to Fiddlers Ferry. I believe many of the house master's were prosecuted in the late 80's or was it early 90's for child molestation and child abuse. Oh those good old days of hell at Greystone Heath, I spent many a day with a large bruise to my left and right cheek, but it was alright, the senior lads were allowed to administer punches if you spoke or did not stand up straight or sit back in your chair at meal time.

There were four Houses at Greystone Heath, 1-26 Chester, 27-52 Derby, 53-78 Lancaster and 79-104 York, there were 104 youngsters at the school, each House had 26 boys, I think I was number 33 and was with the House of Derby. Each house had a senior boy who used to go up and down the line punching you in the face if you had been, let say, breaking their rules, if he did not fancy the job he would get someone within the House to administer the punishment. eg If you had done something wrong during breakfast, you may have incurred a penalty of just 3 punches, when all houses were lined up in the yard after breakfast, that is when you received the punches. The members of the staff let this go on all the time. If I was a girl I would not have to buy rouge as my cheeks were always rouge in colour. I am now 58 years old.

Part 2 will continue next time.

[FONT="Times New Roman"]Part 1 THE LOCKING AWAY OF A SCALLYWAG FROM BIRKENHEAD

I was a 12 year old scallywag from Birkenhead in 1963 and was sent away for 3 years for nicking stuff and being a pain in the ass. First 8 weeks were spent at a remand centre in Menlove Avenue, I believe John Lennon used to live just up the road. A large house on Menlove Avenue, it was an old stone building surrounded by trees up a winding drive to the front door. I cried myself to sleep for the first week. This was the start of a 3 year reform in order to make me learn right from wrong, I knew what I did was wrong, but what they did to me was worse and unforgivable.

After 8 weeks in the Menlove Avenue's House of Hell it was off to the Redbank assessment centre Newton-le-Willows for an assessment then after about 3 months I was sent to Greystone Heath near Penketh for Sankey, a short walk to Fiddlers Ferry. I believe many of the house master's were prosecuted in the late 80's or was it early 90's for child molestation and child abuse. Oh those good old days of hell at Greystone Heath, I spent many a day with a large bruise to my left and right cheek, but it was alright, the senior lads were allowed to administer punches if you spoke or did not stand up straight or sit back in your chair at meal time.

There were four Houses at Greystone Heath, 1-26 Chester, 27-52 Derby, 53-78 Lancaster and 79-104 York, there were 104 youngsters at the school, each House had 26 boys, I think I was number 33 and was with the House of Derby. Each house had a senior boy who used to go up and down the line punching you in the face if you had been, let say, breaking their rules, if he did not fancy the job he would get someone within the House to administer the punishment. eg If you had done something wrong during breakfast, you may have incurred a penalty of just 3 punches, when all houses were lined up in the yard after breakfast, that is when you received the punches. The members of the staff let this go on all the time. I was forever permanently bruised.

Default that is really sad that nobody really cared in them dayz & it was called the care system i woz also at st gabs lord av mercy sorry 2hear about ur bro

Quote Originally Posted by teresamariaf View Post
    My brother was in St.gabriels (Knolle park), in the 50s My mothers was in hospital with TB and my younger brothers taken into care, my younger brother, was placed on a bunk bed, when he was two, he fell out of the bed, and the nuns placed him back in bed, my mum was allowed out on a rare visit the next day to the kids in knolle park, she noticed that my brother could not sit up and kept fallen to the side and backwards and insisted her saw a doctor, he was taken to alder hey and he had broken his back, he was hospitalised for two years strapped to a bed in alder hey, he then had to where calapers on his legs untill his teens, he never got a sorry or anything from anyone, he still suffers with his back today

n e body from st gabs leave message

Default st gabrials knolle park /kennelwood avenue childrens home ?

st gabrials knolle park?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackadder View Post
    [FONT="Times New Roman"]Part 1 THE LOCKING AWAY OF A SCALLYWAG FROM BIRKENHEAD

There were four Houses at Greystone Heath, 1-26 Chester, 27-52 Derby, 53-78 Lancaster and 79-104 York, there were 104 youngsters at the school, each House had 26 boys, I think I was number 33 and was with the House of Derby. Each house had a senior boy who used to go up and down the line punching you in the face if you had been, let say, breaking their rules, if he did not fancy the job he would get someone within the House to administer the punishment. eg If you had done something wrong during breakfast, you may have incurred a penalty of just 3 punches, when all houses were lined up in the yard after breakfast, that is when you received the punches. The members of the staff let this go on all the time. I was forever permanently bruised.
    It would be nice to meet some of these bullies in later life, to get your own back, I know I would.
    Started the Old Swan Website:

http://oldswan.piczo.com/?cr=5

What a disheartening story... Glad someone told it finally... You're 58, and still bruised with these sad memories of bullies.. Bullies discust me.. I have been bullied myself, but not to that extent... Even today, find a few in the workplace.. But, I don't allow it upon myself.. and even though I am a tiny woman.. I can verbally hold my own.. Out smart them, ya might say...

I am sure, some of the bullies must be still alive.. Would be interesting to find out what became of them.. Writing your memorys in a book form and delivering it to their families would be priceless...

yesterday i took my dad back to liverpool for the first time since he moved away when he joined the army at 17.I know very little of my dads history but as soon as we hit toxteth my very hard dad become very emotional going back to the place he lived when he was born eversley avenue.but he said he spent most of his child life at fern lea childrens home.so we drove to wootle and the walls around the old home are still there he remembers the quarry and an old tyre factory and playing with an old bike frame down the hill to the bottom where people would look out on the corners as the bike had no brakes .i read what paddy has blogged about the underlying problems at these homes but my dad said it was the best times of his life.he had a friend whos dad worked at jacobs called kevin we walked up and down the street bringing back the childhood he has never ever told me.but now im 25 and have a child myself.i feel it is important in keeping memories for future generations like myself.ive never seen a picture of my dad under 25.he means the world to me and after a very good day we went to goodison to watch the toffees thrash the mancs!!!if anyone knew my dad his name was hassen but he said he was also called harry and malcolm.always wetting the bed .and used to go out with a girl jennifer i think her name was opposite the home.any reply would mean the world to me,but a pic would be awesome.ps it was late 60-70s and he went to gateacre

Blog Entries

Well Bennyboy you had yourselves a good day out. While you are waiting for what you have said to sink-in. You and your dad could many happy hours on a picture and information site of one of our members (ged)...

http://inacityliving.piczo.com/?cr=7

The site id undergoing maintenance at the moment, but will soon be back up.

Default New Hays

Mervin I was at NH in the Early 60's I remember John Cross , he seemed to be a very kind and understanding man, he had a Siamiese cat if i remember correctlly. if he is still alive please post me privately. I am living in Australia

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123