Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: City Boundary Signs - Backfire

Blog Entries

Default City Boundary Signs - Backfire

A SCHEME to put traditional signs at the boundaries of Liverpool's oldest communities has backfired - leaving families in one upmarket area demading their removal.

Residents in Riverside Drive complained after signs declaring it to be in Dingle, Toxteth and Aigburth were put up within a mile of each other.

Residents on the new estates, created on the site of the International Garden Festival, had demanded the signs should be taken now and re-located.

But council leaders say they have decided against removing the signs until the geographical conundrum is resolved, despite protests that the sign for Dingle is "not even in Dingle".

Last night, Cllr Peter Allen, of St Michael's ward, insisted the signs had not been correctly positioned.

He said: "These signs are absolute nonsense, there's not much point in having signs in the wrong place. I'm annoyed with the officers and, obviously, I'd prefer it if the signs were removed."

Mark Smith, the council's highways and environment officer, said: "We did conduct a wide consultation before the signs were erected and we think they are correctly placed.

"However, we are aware there are still outstanding issues. The signs are not absolutely set in stone and we are happy to listen to the public to get it right."

The council's executive board has decided to listen to councillors' concerns about all disputed signs throughout Liverpool, but in the meantime the board declined to remove the offending markers for the Aigburth and Dingle areas.

Cllr John Coyne, who also represents St Michael's ward, said: "The promise by the executive board is less than we hoped for, but we will work with the review as best we can."

Andrea Spyropoulos, chairwoman of the Riverside Action Group, said residents were upset their area had been wrongly signposted.

She said: "It was quite a shock when they put the signs up. Your postcode determines how much tax you pay and the postcode in Dingle is L3, whereas here is L17.

"It's not because of snobbery, my sister lives in the Dingle and she doesn't consider her area to be Riverside either. It wouldn't harm anybody to change the signs."

Ms Spyropoulos was also concerned the signs would make visitors lose their way.

She said: "I have a terrible sense of direction and if I didn't know the area I'd be confused. We heard nothing about the signs before they went up, but if we had we would have told the council to put them in more sensible places."

The three disputed signs, all located in St Michael's ward, were put up as part of the council's scheme to mark Liverpool's different districts.

However, there is little documentation of Dingle's historical boundary so the sites were chosen on the advice of Joseph Rourke, a member of Highways Management and local historian.
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

The three disputed signs, all located in St Michael's ward, were put up as part of the council's scheme to mark Liverpool's different districts. End quote

Of course all this area is actually in Toxteth Park. Now there's a thought for the locals

theninesisters

The council don't know their arse from their elbow. At the bottom of our road is a sign for Gateacre even though I can show original boundary lines for Childwall.

A more thoughtful approach could be putting up signs in the old fashioned term for villages:

Merry Childow - Childwall
    Hale's Wood - Halewood
    Tew Brook - Tuebrook

And so on....

PhilipG

It's true that the Dingle never had defined boundaries, but it's a geographical feature (the bed of a long-lost stream), and unfortunately it can't be ignored because of snob value.
    If you live close to the site of the Festival Hall, it's Dingle, as that's where the stream joined the Mersey.

They should put their addresses as Dingle, Toxteth Park, and be proud.

Many of the signs to me seem to be defined along the ward boudaries

One of the biggest jokes is that there is an Everton sign down by Toys R Us on Gt Howard st not far from the King Eddy pub. Everton was never there and Vauxhall, which everyone from that area associates with doesn't even get recognition as an area.

Roving Arriva Bus User! wallasey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Vauxhall, which everyone from that area associates with doesn't even get recognition as an area.
    Not so! On County Road/Barlow Road Junction, there is a boundry sign with "Vauxhall" on it! Strangly there isn't a sign on the A59 telling you when you pass from Vauxhall into Everton; this is slightly worrying as on Scottie Road (heading away from Leeds Street) the district confirmation sign say's "Everton". What's going on??
    Liverpool Suburbia@Flickr

UPDATED 14JUN09 20 images added to Dovecot
    Last updated 26ARP09 (Aigburth)
    Apologies for the durge in updates!

If it's on County Road (and I take it you mean Barlow Lane) then that too is in the wrong place?

PhilipG

Apparently Toxteth starts right outside the front door of the Nightingale Hotel at the beginning of Princes Road!

And has anyone noticed that they get the postcode wrong on some street names?
    The end of Ullet Road by Smithdown Road says L8 instead of L17.
    The Elms by Ullet Road was L7 for about a year before it was corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    One of the biggest jokes is that there is an Everton sign down by Toys R Us on Gt Howard st not far from the King Eddy pub. Everton was never there and Vauxhall, which everyone from that area associates with doesn't even get recognition as an area.
    Which is what I was getting at in my post, there is no such council ward as Vauxhall but instead the area is incorporated into the Everton and Kirkdale wards.

Default Ullet Rd L8 or L17 or both

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    Apparently Toxteth starts right outside the front door of the Nightingale Hotel at the beginning of Princes Road!

And has anyone noticed that they get the postcode wrong on some street names?
    The end of Ullet Road by Smithdown Road says L8 instead of L17.
    The Elms by Ullet Road was L7 for about a year before it was corrected.
    The Ullet Rd L8 sign by Smithdown Rd is of course the original post code before it was changed to L17. They simply have not got around to changing it. other Ullet Rd L8 signs exist further along towards Aigburth Rd. of course the L17 area of the Dingle once had an L8 post code until they developed Promenade Gdns etc and then it was changed to L17. Now of course the locals think this is Aigburth. Post codes simply reflect post office sorting and delivery schedules and have no relationship to urban districts such as Toxteth

PhilipG

Quote Originally Posted by taffy View Post
    The Ullet Rd L8 sign by Smithdown Rd is of course the original post code before it was changed to L17. They simply have not got around to changing it. other Ullet Rd L8 signs exist further along towards Aigburth Rd. of course the L17 area of the Dingle once had an L8 post code until they developed Promenade Gdns etc and then it was changed to L17. Now of course the locals think this is Aigburth. Post codes simply reflect post office sorting and delivery schedules and have no relationship to urban districts such as Toxteth
    They have changed it - it's a new one.
    The Dingle end is L8, but not Smithdown Road end - it was L17 in the 1970s when I lived opposite Lathbury Lane.

Default Ullet Rd L8

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipG View Post
    They have changed it - it's a new one.
    The Dingle end is L8, but not Smithdown Road end - it was L17 in the 1970s when I lived opposite Lathbury Lane.
    I think Ullet Rd at Smithdown Rd was L8 in the 1960s. I only passed that way a few days ago. I could have sworn the old L8 Ullet Rd sign near Smithdown Rd was still there. I'll have to check.

Quote Originally Posted by SteH View Post
    Which is what I was getting at in my post, there is no such council ward as Vauxhall but instead the area is incorporated into the Everton and Kirkdale wards.
    I've just noticed that the new A-Z's show Vauxhall as an area now.

I passed that Ullet Rd/Smithdown Rd sign today...it's a modern cheap thin metal design. Ullet Road L8.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast