Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Liverpool Pals

Hi Ronnie

Do you know his mum or dads first names? or any of his brothers/sisters? Any idea what area of Liverpool they lived.

Here is his medal Card. He was awarded The Victory Medal and The British War Medal.
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    Hi Ronnie

Do you know his mum or dads first names? or any of his brothers/sisters? Any idea what area of Liverpool they lived.

Here is his medal Card. He was awarded The Victory Medal and The British War Medal.
    Sorry mate, I have no idea of his family other than his sons and daughters and his wife, Eliza. Her maiden name was Reid as far as I can recall. I think he lived in one of the courts around Tithebarn Street before his was married.

Ronnie Ive sent you an email.

Thanks mate. That's very good of you.

Ronnie, any mention of Capt Noel Chavasse VC & Bar, gets us 'old medics' stirring! his father was Liverpool Bishop Francis Chavasse, and Capt Noel was Medical Officer of the 10th Battalion Liverpool Scottish, his burial was at Brandhoek in August 1917, You were privaledged to be able to visit his last resting place. I had the honour of attending the renaming of the old Wellington Barracks in Wavertree, to 'Chavasse Barracks' which was then the home of the 165(w) Casualty Clearing Station RAMC TA, the bishop officiating at the ceremony was also a relative of Capt Chavasse, also a Bishop (of Rochester I think). I know that the newspapers printed photo's of this event but I have no idea if they would still be around somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm NZ View Post
    Ronnie, any mention of Capt Noel Chavasse VC & Bar, gets us 'old medics' stirring! his father was Liverpool Bishop Francis Chavasse, and Capt Noel was Medical Officer of the 10th Battalion Liverpool Scottish, his burial was at Brandhoek in August 1917, You were privaledged to be able to visit his last resting place. I had the honour of attending the renaming of the old Wellington Barracks in Wavertree, to 'Chavasse Barracks' which was then the home of the 165(w) Casualty Clearing Station RAMC TA, the bishop officiating at the ceremony was also a relative of Capt Chavasse, also a Bishop (of Rochester I think). I know that the newspapers printed photo's of this event but I have no idea if they would still be around somewhere.

Hello Norm. His brother became Bishop of Rochester, so perhaps it was him. Quite a family! Here's a link to Sefton Harriers website:
    http://www.lps-athletics.co.uk/histo...asse/index.htm

Thank's ronnie! I did meet the Bishop at the renaming, but had fogotten what relation he was, and thanks for the link! It certainly gives a great write-up for Capt Chavasse, what a sad loss to all when he was killed.

http://www.lps-athletics.co.uk/histo...asse/index.htm

Noel and his twin brother Christopher. Info on their athletics career and the 1908 Olympics. Some good pics here.

Noel's House and Statue in Abercrombie Square. And a Bust for him at the Anglican Cathedral.

Blog Entries

Nice one Spike.

Makes me all the more aprteciate my father in law. WHo volunteered under the age required. He was 16 when he volunteered all those years ago , in the first world war.

Showing my ignorance here but is this the person Chavasse Park is named after ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by squiggs View Post
    Showing my ignorance here but is this the person Chavasse Park is named after ?
    Yes it was. It's not ignorance if you don't know. No shame in not knowing.

Hey if anyone has a ancestor that served and would like a look up then give me a shout and I will check the records, cant promise I will find them mind.

If you know they served and their name then I can look for them ( WW1 ) Its easier if they served in the army, but I can still check the Royal Navy records.

If they died I can check that.

Plus I can also do Australian and Canadian Soldiers.

Again no promise I will find them, but I will be glad to look.

So give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by kdraper42 View Post
    Makes me all the more aprteciate my father in law. WHo volunteered under the age required. He was 16 when he volunteered all those years ago , in the first world war.
    Have you researched him? Do you want me to look? It may be worth a try.

If you know his name I can search. Even better if you know who he served with, but I can try off just his name.

Anyone who wants a look up can post here or pm me.
    Last edited by Spike; 03-26-2010 at 02:19 PM. Reason: eye car no speeel

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast