Thread: Wirral Landfill Sites

Blog Entries

Default Wirral Landfill Sites

FIVE locations across Wirral are earmarked as potential new landfill sites for Merseyside?s waste, the Daily Post can reveal.

A report, which aims to find locations for waste disposal in the region, also highlights 10 other Wirral sites for different types of waste facilities.

Merseyside is desperately trying to improve its recycling rates and cut down on landfill, with swingeing new landfill taxes shortly to be introduced by the European Union.

But several new areas to simply dump waste in the ground have nevertheless been identified in a report by the Merseyside Environmental Advisory Service (MEAS).

It is likely those sites highlighted in the report to Wirral Council will also be supplemented with others around the region.

Those identified as potential landfill sites are at Irby Quarry, at Irby Mill; the North Wirral Brickworks, Carr Lane, in Hoylake; Moreton Landfill, at the Old Brickworks, Tarran Way, Moreton; along with Prenton Quarry, Prenton Dell; and Lower Farm, Roman Road, both in Prenton.

It also highlights seven other smaller Wirral sites for waste disposal, including three in Bidston and St James ward, two in Rock Ferry and two in Seacombe.

Last month, the Daily Post revealed that two incinerators designed to convert rubbish into energy instead of burying it could be built in any of 11 locations in Merseyside, including two sites in Wirral.

A ?long list? of Merseyside sites deemed suitable for ?thermal treatments? of waste was drawn up following a trawl of the city-region. Burning rubbish and turning the heat into electricity is being considered as a solution to the region?s over-dependence on landfill which will soon be subject to prohibitive taxes.

Last night, a statement by the MEAS said landfill was ?a last resort?.

?There will always be a small amount of waste that can only be disposed of in landfill.

?It is with this in mind that landfill disposal opportunities are being assessed in the sub-region but only as a means of a last resort for waste disposal,? it said.

more

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

Moreton & Leasowe Cllr Ian Lewis's Avatar

Thumbs down Sites in Moreton and Seacombe

The sites identified in Moreton (the old brick works and the former quarry) are not viable for dumping due to the close proximity of residential housing and lack of easy access to either site. The two sites in Seacombe, while having better transport links, are also close to residential property which has suffered in the past from industrial pollution.
    Visit www.ianlewis.org.uk or find me on Facebook

Childwall Fields was once a major landfill site, you'd never tell by the sheer amount of greenary around there now.

Blog Entries

I thought we were recycling now. Why, in this day and age we are dumping resources is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by pablo42 View Post
    I thought we were recycling now. Why, in this day and age we are dumping resources is beyond me.
    Because the recycling stuff we leave out is contaminated ie. an envelope in with the papers. That seems to mean it's not recyclable anymore

Blog Entries

The rubbish we dump is too valuable to throw away. See what the Germans and Dutch are doing. It's a pain sometimes, but where theres muck theres brass. Could well be a lot of jobs in recycling.

George

We could reduce some of this landfill overnight ie stop this stupid posting of junk mail that immediatly goes in the trash as it enters the letter box of each and every home in the UK,only a small %will look at this garbage thats forced upon us by unsolicited companys wanting to show what they have on offer.

Aside from landfill this garbage runs into thousands of pounds to produce at the benefit of trees, basically cut down a tree manufacture its content,print on it,send it to a couple of hundred homes,then bin it....ludicrous totally ludicrous.

Oh forgot to say I don't bin my junk mail,I keep it for a month or two then put it back into the royal mail post box...if this bleedin RM resorts to posting junk mail then it shows how far down the ladder its gone in terms of losing buiness.
    Last edited by George; 07-29-2009 at 04:17 PM.

Blog Entries

Nice one George, might try that meself.

George

Nice one George, might try that meself.
    I know for a fact it will cause a minor distruption in the sorting office even if its just one poor sod who has to sift through the mail bag looking for official letters and if only 2 housholds per street were to do this each month the RM will eventually get the message that joe publics home is not a dumping ground for unsolicited crap.

So save yer junk mail for a month or two and post it back to RM ie just slam it into the postbox when on yer travels.

Blog Entries

George, ther's no way Royal Mail will give up this little nugget. They probably make more money on these annoying mail shots than they do with the post. Love the idea of posting it back though. Not so much money handling it twice.

George

George, ther's no way Royal Mail will give up this little nugget. They probably make more money on these annoying mail shots than they do with the post. Love the idea of posting it back though. Not so much money handling it twice.

Just don't put a rubber band around the JM as this will be a pointless excersise.

Thats what my neighbour was doing when I told her to post the JM back,now she doesn't put a band around it thing is she waits 3 months before posting hers

Blog Entries

George, you're not a secret anarchist are you? Love it.

George

George, you're not a secret anarchist are you? Love it.
    Me an anarchist,whatever gave you that idea?

Council dropin centers are also a pain when you hand in forms and they turn round at some point and ask you to complete the same form you filled in and dropped it in personally at the local branch because its gone amiss?

Now I put a dab(not a lot) of jam inside on one of the pages so it has to be dealt with staright away instead of being filed away.

Blog Entries

George, loved that about the jam. You are an anarchist. Welcome...