Thread: Lourdes Hospital

Blog Entries

Exclamation Lourdes Hospital

A hospital founded by nuns in Liverpool almost 80 years ago is marking an anniversary with a new name.

Lourdes was the first private hospital in the city when it was set up by nuns from the order The Poor Servants of the Mother of God in 1929.

The facility moved to Greenbank Road in Mossley Hill in 1943 after the old building was bombed, and is celebrating its 65th anniversary on the site.

It will now be known as Spire Hospital Liverpool after a ceremony on Monday.

'Lovely atmosphere'

The hospital is opening its doors to members of the community with free blood pressure and BMI checks and advice on services such as physiotherapy.

Staff and patients are also celebrating the hospital's 65th anniversary on its current site.

Sister Sheila Sullivan, a matron who worked at the site in the 1980s, said: "It had a lovely, happy atmosphere.

"Lourdes has certainly flourished over the years. I wish I was 20 years younger and could work there all over again."

The hospital is run by a private health firm, Spire Healthcare.

BBC Liverpool

Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

my mum& dad were both in there. got looked after very well

Just find it strange that they would Need to change a find name like Lourdes. I would of thought that at least (even under new management) that Spire Healthcare could of kept the 80 year old name incorporated into theirs??? Like Lourdes Spire Healthcare????

Glad to hear they're is a reputable private hospital though.. Thats a plus..

Quote Originally Posted by naked lilac View Post
    Just find it strange that they would Need to change a find name like Lourdes. I would of thought that at least (even under new management) that Spire Healthcare could of kept the 80 year old name incorporated into theirs??? Like Lourdes Spire Healthcare????

Glad to hear they're is a reputable private hospital though.. Thats a plus..
    Nuns no longer run the hospital. A few years ago they sold the hospital to another private health care group who kept the name Lourdes. This group now seems to have been taken over by Spire who value corporate branding over history. I suspect everyone will still call it the Lourdes hospital

There was a report a few years back to say that this hospital was to close!

Times have certainly changed. I've been there on a couple of occasions when the NHS has let me down and while I've paid for my time, I couldn't find a nicer place with nicer people.

They treat you like you do have money, even if it's just on the credit card