Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Netherley

Blog Entries

Default Netherley

RESIDENTS have celebrated the 40th birthday of what was once one of Liverpool?s most notorious estates.

Netherley was built on farmland on the edge of Gateacre four decades ago for tenants moved out of unfit housing in Liverpool city centre.

But the promise of better housing gave way to damp, vermin-ridden conditions and unsafe concrete walkways and underpasses.

Eventually, many of Netherley?s flats and maisonettes were demolished in the 1980s to make way for new houses, and more recently, a shopping centre and leisure facilities were built.

Residents recently marked the anniversary with a community party, and guests included veteran campaigner Eric Hodkinson, who once went on a hunger strike to highlight Netherley?s problems.

The 73-year-old grandfather shared his memories of the estate, at one time labelled ?a planner?s dream and a tenant?s nightmare?, but now home to 8,000 people.

Mr Hodkinson, who is now a board member of Lee Valley Housing and chairman of Liverpool Tenants? Association, said: ?Netherley has changed dramatically in its 40-year history. In the early days, we had to suffer insanitary conditions, as well as poverty, crime, drug addicts and squalor.

?My actions at the time were seen as extreme, but it was the only way to draw attention to the housing conditions we all had to suffer.?

As a tenant in the 1970s, Mr Hodkinson and his family endured appalling conditions in flats in Brittarge Brow.

He eventually set up camp in St John?s park, in the city centre, where he went on hunger strike for two weeks to draw attention to his and his neighbours? plight.

Lee Valley Housing took over management of council properties in 2003, making improvements to 1,700 homes.

About 1,000 people enjoyed the birthday party, which was supported by the housing association.

St Gregory?s youth and community project, Woodland community centre, the Christian Revival centre and Christ Church community group joined forces to put on the event.

Jo Hallmark, neighbourhood housing officer, said: ?The 40th anniversary was a great way to get everyone together to celebrate the turn around of a once-blighted estate.

?We are hoping to set up an active tenants group in Netherley and make the party an annual event.?

tinamiles@liverpoolecho.co.uk
    Become A Supporter 👇

Donate Via PayPal

Donate

June and July this year was the first time I cycled to Netherly to get to Tarbuck Green on Nertherly Road and Netherly's still pretty dumpy. Had Chavs shouting give me yer bike and ayou can't see them without cans of ale.
    Gididi Gididi Goo.

Oh man i remember the flats, they where a nightmare. A lad i went to school with was killed riding above one of the lifts. The place is much nicer now then it was back then. Anyone remember the Stunt rider who jumped across the flats on a motorbike?
    BE NICE......................OR ELSE

No, but I remember hearing about that case of a lad being killed on the lifts

Default It wasn't that bad

My brother lived on the Netherley Estate; Mardale Walk I think it was. He had a young family and I used to babysit, being quite a bit younger than him. I always thought it was quite exciting then. There was always something going on; they had regular summer fetes and stuff for the kids to do in the summertime. There was a farm with horses on and I'm sure my bro bought one for the kids but they soon tired of it and it was bought back. That was nearly 30 years ago now. Who can afford a horse now?

Happy days I'd say!

(I know this is an old thread, but couldn't resist!)...

I use to live in one of the flats, with my family, and we got flooded out (I was 5 or 6 at the time!) Some locals youths stole the lead from the pipes! Does anyone remember this?? We moved to Lee Park flats which wasn't as bad, they've now pulled those down, too. Does anyone remember whether the golf course is still there? A few of us use to collect the golf balls that had managed to go over the permiter of the fence.

I'm sure it's all changed a lot since then!

Hello Joo. Did you take any photos of the area ? I don't think we have any pics of Netherley on the forum.

Netherley and District Writers Workshop was one of the most active on Merseyside in the late 70s.

I remember Lee Park Flats. We knew a girl called Penny and someone dropped a 2p coin from the flats and it hit her in the head. Everyone sang " Pennies From Heaven" to her.

Golf course is still there. When did you live there Joo? I lived not far from there.

Netherley Flats.

Pics of them being demolished on my site too.

LRO.
    www.inacityliving.piczo.com/

Updated weekly with old and new pics.

Ged have you got a pic of that 2p coin?

Sorry it's a bit battered, it's where it hit her head.

OOh Ta Ged

brings back the memories

Ged's photo of those flats looks like a prison , glad to see they were demolished!!!

I believe Gerard Crescent had the longest single unbroken length of landing until these were built.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast