Thread: Burleigh Road South

Default Burleigh Road South

Can anyone tell me about Burleigh Road South in Everton. My grandmother was born at No 35 in 1900 but that number doesn't seem to exist these days.

I assume the street was redeveloped at some point judging by the aerial photographs on Multimap. Her father was a baker - Samuel James French - so maybe no 35 was a shop at that time.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WidnesMark View Post
    Can anyone tell me about Burleigh Road South in Everton. My grandmother was born at No 35 in 1900 but that number doesn't seem to exist these days.

I assume the street was redeveloped at some point judging by the aerial photographs on Multimap. Her father was a baker - Samuel James French - so maybe no 35 was a shop at that time.

Thanks
    couldn't find the name on the 1901 Census so had to go through enumeration districts. bit of a pain but found it in the end.
    Number 35 was the last odd number listed, although it doesn't say it was shop, if it was on a corner it could possibly have been. some enumerators would write 'shop' others wouldn't bother.

35 Burleigh Rd (as it was listed)
    Samuel French-Head-(married)29 Baker/Flour Dealer Ownacct (so would have been his own business) born Liverpool
    wife Phoebe 27 born in Llangollen, Wales
    May/Mary A (writing not clear) 5 months...bless

if you want a copy of the full entry PM me and I'll sort that out for you.
    Proud Scouser, with a dabbling of Welsh and Irish.

bore yourself silly at my Flickr page...anorak central!

Thanks for the info.

I got a copy of her birth certificate which is where it says Burleigh Road South rather than just Burleigh Road

I have paid for a month of www.ancestry.co.uk but for some reason they haven't got any of the family indexed for the 1901 census despite the fact that the genesreunited.com has them all indexed (but I don't want to pay them even more money just to look at the record) so thanks again for providing that extra detail.

Just realised you are probably using ancestry.co.uk as well since you couldn't find the name either. I 've written a whinging email to ancestry pointing out that they haven't got as good an index as other people so hopefully they will do something about it.

Quote Originally Posted by WidnesMark View Post
    Thanks for the info.

I got a copy of her birth certificate which is where it says Burleigh Road South rather than just Burleigh Road

I have paid for a month of www.ancestry.co.uk but for some reason they haven't got any of the family indexed for the 1901 census despite the fact that the genesreunited.com has them all indexed (but I don't want to pay them even more money just to look at the record) so thanks again for providing that extra detail.

Just realised you are probably using ancestry.co.uk as well since you couldn't find the name either. I 've written a whinging email to ancestry pointing out that they haven't got as good an index as other people so hopefully they will do something about it.
    no probs Mark, you're welcome.
    it will be there but under the wrong spelling . the handwriting on the census is very poor so the transcriber may not have recognised it as French.
    I had the same problem with my Devereux line. on one sheet it was clearly Devereux but whoever transcribed it onto the computer put Devevence another as Davereux and I even had one Gatcliffe as Gadliff.

it's always worth checking Ancestry under soundex as well as exact.
    Proud Scouser, with a dabbling of Welsh and Irish.

bore yourself silly at my Flickr page...anorak central!