View RSS Feed

Liverpool Picturebook

Freemasonry in Liverpool

Rate this Entry
Quote Originally Posted by BobEd View Post

For over one hundred years the City of Liverpool has had citizens actively involved in Freemasonary, and many Masonic and non-Masonic charities have benefited from donations made by the brethren of the lodges. Passing Hope Street Masonic Hall recently I realised that whilst writing about the many buildings we all know in the city I had omitted to mention, Liverpool Masonic Hall. Much more detail can be found on the links to Masonic websites, posted below the article on the website, my intention here is to give but a brief overview. Please do click on the links as I feel sure that you will find the information therin to be of interest.

So what is Freemasonry

Freemasonry is one of the world’s oldest secular fraternal societies, it is emphatically not a religion. Membership of the brotherhood requires a belief in God and its principles are common to many of the world's great religions. From its earliest days, Freemasonry has been involved in charitable activities, and since its inception it has provided support for many widows and orphans of Freemasons as well as others in the community. All monies raised for charity are drawn from amongst Freemasons, their families and friends. Freemasonry is not a secret society. members are perfectly free to acknowledge their membership and will do so in answer to any reasonable enquiry. There is no secret about the aims and principles of the Order.

The Masonic Hall Hope Street Liverpool

One Hundred years ago the Lodges of Liverpool met in various locations around Liverpool, the Masonic leaders at the time realised that a central meeting place for Liverpool freemasons needed to be established and thus the Masonic Hall in hope street came into being. Various locations were looked at including premises in Colquitt Street and Seel Street as well as the site of the Newington Chapel in Renshaw Street.
Liverpool’s Masonic Hall is in the Province of West Lancashire, the province is not only the largest of the Provinces ranged under the banner of the United Grand Lodge of England, it also has claims to be the birthplace of English Freemasonry. The initiation of Elias Ashmole in Warrington in Lancashire on 16th October 1646 is the earliest recorded initiation into English Freemasonry. Liverpool is the headquarters of the Province and the greatest concentration of lodges.

Read More ....

Submit "Freemasonry in Liverpool" to Digg Submit "Freemasonry in Liverpool" to del.icio.us Submit "Freemasonry in Liverpool" to Google Submit "Freemasonry in Liverpool" to Facebook

Comments